WAN browsing screwy after changing PDC

Post by Jeff Westwo » Sun, 17 Dec 1995 04:00:00

After having the same PDC for months with no browsing problemms, in a
domain with 30 NT 3.50 servers we promoted an existing BDC to the top
job.  Since then we get ghosted servers in Server Manager for all our
regional sites.  Technet says MS acknowledge this is a problem but
offer no solution.

Does anybody know of a fix for this?

Jeff Westwood

WAN browsing screwy after changing PDC

Post by whepwor » Sat, 23 Dec 1995 04:00:00

says...

Quote:

>After having the same PDC for months with no browsing problemms, in a
>domain with 30 NT 3.50 servers we promoted an existing BDC to the top
>job.  Since then we get ghosted servers in Server Manager for all our
>regional sites.  Technet says MS acknowledge this is a problem but
>offer no solution.

>Does anybody know of a fix for this?

>Jeff Westwood

I think I may have some information on this.  We had many problems with
LAN/WAN browsing that required pretty high level Microsoft Support.  Turns
out to be some pretty simple answers.

The PDC should run as few services as possible.  No RAS, No SQL Server and
should only perform mild file and print services.  Also, high memory and high
processor speeds are recommended along with a 32-bit NIC.

According to Microsoft the use of "unreliable" mechanisms for passing
announcements can result in a heavily tasked PDC to completely miss the
announcements.  In fact, if you've seen alerts with Id's in the 800x range
then this is likely the problem.

A Microsoft rep basically said, 32MB's, big fast hard drive, on RAS, no SQL
server, no SNA server and minimal file services along with a fast-wide NIC.
Simply put.. PDC should be dedicated.

Bill Hepworth
CAI/BTG

1. Changing a member server into a PDC and a PDC into a member server...

Hi!

I have a situation where I'd like to convert a PDC into a member server,
and a member server into a PDC.  I realize, by flipping through pages in
DejaNews, that I need to reinstall WinNT on both, but what I would like
to know is how painful the reinstall is...  Can I just reinstall WinNT
4.0 as a member server over the current PDC and expect the shares,
users, license info, and etc etc. to still be in place or do I have to
pretty much format and go from scratch?

TIA...

Chris

2. 60 second freeze at startup

3. PDC over WAN???

4. Multi processor?

5. No PDC on WAN link

6. Program access

7. W2K Professional Laptop browsing NT 4 WAN

8. memory leaks

9. Browsing problem over WAN

10. Browsing NT over WAN link

11. problem browsing over the wan