I'm tired of the start menu getting userped in NT 4.0

I'm tired of the start menu getting userped in NT 4.0

Post by Michael Schonwett » Wed, 16 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Is there a way to keep the focus on the current task in NT 4?  For example if I
am navigating the start menu after launching an app - the splash screen can
steal the focus.

So, back to navigating the start menu..

Then the app will drav the program window and steal the focus.

And back to navigating the start menu...

Has anyone tackled this minor - but irrirating - problem?

-mjs

I'm tired of the start menu getting userped in NT 4.0

Post by sax.. » Wed, 16 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Yes, I've often thought that the way the menu vanishes at the least
provocation is a quite unfriendly feature.  It would be a nice
addition if the menu could be made sticky, so it only goes away when
the _user_ want's it to go away, not when _windows_ wants it to go
away.  The only thing I've done to make menus stay up is to include a
recursive shortcut to the menu; selecting that gives an Explorer
window onto the menu which can be navigated using [^-], <-+ and the
cursor keys.  But it does mean a rather messy start menu of the form:

My Computer       <- this is very useful!
START MENU
----------------------
Programs
Documents
Settings
Find
Help
Run
--------------
Shutdown
--------------
Start

Programs in turn opens out to

Accessories
Games
Startup
PROGRAMS
Explorer

and so on.

Or you could do what we've all been doing with Windows since it first
came out of going to make a coffee every time you press a button to
allow windows to catch up with what you've just asked it to do :)

Post by 1.. » Sat, 19 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>Is there a way to keep the focus on the current task in NT 4?  For example if I
>am navigating the start menu after launching an app - the splash screen can
>steal the focus.

Yeah, keep holding your left mouse button down while the offending app
does its thing (or until you've decided what you want to pick).

Feeling silly yet?