Profiles and dial-ups

Post by Bruce Weh » Wed, 09 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Nobody can take a stab at this?  Even just a pointer to a FAQ or other M
to RTF would be appreciated.  The online help seems to not be.

Thanks again.

Quote:

>   I'm using Communicator 4.07 at home with my dial-up ISP account.  Two
>   questions:

>     1) How can you tell Communicator which dial-up connection to use?
>        Can each profile have its own associated dial-up?  (Just how
>        *does* Communicator decide which dial-up to use?  I've never
>        configured it like I did for IE ...  I'm thankful Communicator
>        chooses my most common dialup as default.  If I want a different
>        dial-up, I have to manually start that connection before firing
>        up Communicator.)

>     2) According to the Help, if you have more than one profile defined,
>        you can choose which profile to use with the -P "profile name"
>        command line option (so I could have different icons fire up
>        different connections automatically).  This doesn't seem to work
>        (the Profile Manager keeps coming up asking which profile to
>        use). What's up?

>   Okay, okay ...  so that's more the two questions!  :-) Sorry to bother
>   if these are simple FAQs.  Is there a FAQ for Communicator?  A pointer
>   to it would be greatly appreciated.

>   Thanks for your time and attention.

-- Bruce

1. Unwanted dial-ups

Problem:
This has only happened over the last few weeks, for no apparent
reason.

On boot up and then hourly my XP/HE installation keeps dialling up and
using any or all of my internet connections in turn in an attempt to
get out.  ZoneAlarm Pro stops any actual communication but not the
dial up happening.  It will do it even when games are being played.

The culprits superficially seem to be Smart Address and a 'Generic
Host Process'.  The extremely helpful (and I don't say this lightly)
tech support at Smart Address has said "There is no dial-capability
built into SA, so something on your system is picking up the TCP/IP
request and creating a dial-up session."  In fact there are something
like a dozen GHP attempts to every one of Smart Address's and so I
tend to think that the real culprit is Windows.

The only thing I've changed recently in order to stop the occasional
boot-up hang whilst there is an apparently fruitless search for my
network connections is that I disabled 'Workstation' - following
advice on this newsgroup.  That seems to have worked but I wonder if
there is something else which also needs to go!

Any help much appreciated.

Steve

2. location of user rihghts in NT

3. Copy Dial-Ups

4. tweak ui help

5. Internet sharing with dial-ups?

6. spellchecker please

7. Need to log all my internet dial-ups

8. Scanner & Camera JPEG, vs Paint JPEG

9. auto dial-ups

10. Trouble with Several Dial-Ups

11. Can dial up in one profile but not in another profile

12. Pop-ups, Pop-ups, Pop-ups EVERYWHERE .. arghhh

13. XP - Dial-up Connection...keeps dialing and dialing and dialing and dialing