Win95 + Dial-Up + UNIX Network

Post by cp7 » Sat, 30 Sep 1995 04:00:00

: > From what I understand of your message, you are trying to make the
: > Windows 95 machine act as a DialUp Router.  Natively Windows 95 does
: > not support routing.  You will have to investigate third party products
: > for this.  There is a program called Socket Set that will act as a
: > proxy server on your Dialup machine.  The other machines on the net
: > must be running tcp/ip. Check it out at:
: > http://nz.com/NZ/Commerce/creative-cgi/special/qbik/socket.htm
: > or http://www.malch.com/twosys.html for instructions too.
: QBIK is an *early alpha hack* that will provide pass-through connectivity.
: It is *by no means done yet*, and FTP doesn't work.
: You would probably be better off using a real router, assuming you have or
: can get the necessary technical knowledge. Packages available on the net
: include ka9q, pcroute, pcbridge, and iproute. You could probably run an
: old 286 as a dedicated router and get performance comparable to that of a
: Pentium running qbik under Win95.
: See sections A-19, B-13, C (all), and D (all) of Bernard Aboba's
: comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc FAQ. To get it:
: This FAQ will be posted monthly. In between it will be
: available as:
: ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/ma/mailcom/IBMTCP/ibmtcp.zip
: Please note the change in the archive address!

You can install Linux and use the IP_MASQUERADE function.
Then the linux box can serve as a gatewary to internet.
I've tried that. Telnet, ftp and www work.
Another advantage is that Linux can be used as a name server to query
internet DNS.  In this way, you can have both local & internet DNS for your
LAN.

Edward D. H. Liu

Win95 + Dial-Up + UNIX Network

Post by Rich Grav » Sat, 30 Sep 1995 04:00:00

> : I have a LAN consisting of a Windows 95 machine and a UNIX machine,
> : connected via ethernet and a hub. Win95 w/TCP/IP works fine w/the UNIX
> : box for local traffic such as FTP and telnet, and vice versa. For
> : internet access, the Win95 machine goes through a dail-up connection.
> : Once the connection is established, the UNIX machine still can't see,
> : the Internet only the local network machines (itself and the Win95
> : machine). I figure I must set up some kind of routing among the
> : machines, how do I do this?

> From what I understand of your message, you are trying to make the
> Windows 95 machine act as a DialUp Router.  Natively Windows 95 does
> not support routing.  You will have to investigate third party products
> for this.  There is a program called Socket Set that will act as a
> proxy server on your Dialup machine.  The other machines on the net
> must be running tcp/ip. Check it out at:

> http://nz.com/NZ/Commerce/creative-cgi/special/qbik/socket.htm

> or http://www.malch.com/twosys.html for instructions too.

QBIK is an *early alpha hack* that will provide pass-through connectivity.
It is *by no means done yet*, and FTP doesn't work.

You would probably be better off using a real router, assuming you have or
can get the necessary technical knowledge. Packages available on the net
include ka9q, pcroute, pcbridge, and iproute. You could probably run an
old 286 as a dedicated router and get performance comparable to that of a
Pentium running qbik under Win95.

See sections A-19, B-13, C (all), and D (all) of Bernard Aboba's
comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc FAQ. To get it:

This FAQ will be posted monthly. In between it will be
available as:
ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/ma/mailcom/IBMTCP/ibmtcp.zip

Please note the change in the archive address!

############ This FAQ is on the Web ###############

After each posting, this FAQ is automatically
converted to HTML by Ohio State, and made available
on the Web. This means that if you have a WWW browser,
you can read the FAQ online, and click on links
to download individual files.

This is how I read the FAQ myself, and it is
highly recommended. To get at the HTML version, try:
http://www.zilker.net/users/internaut/update.html

################# Citation entry  #################

This FAQ may be cited as:

  Aboba, Bernard D.(1994) "comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc Frequently
  Asked Questions (FAQ)" Usenet news.answers, available via
  ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/ma/mailcom/IBMTCP/ibmtcp.zip,
  57 pages.

################# Change History  #################

Changes from 11/1/94 posting:
Updated commercial stack entries, cleaned up broken
links reported by readers (thanks!). New entries
sport a "*"

################# Related FAQs #################

There is a FAQ available on features of TCP/IP
Packages for DOS and Windows. This is available at:
ftp://ftp.cac.psu.edu/pub/dos/info/tcpip.packages.

The Windows Sockets Faq is posted to alt.winsock, and
is available at:
ftp://SunSite.UNC.EDU/pub/micro/pc-stuff/ms-windows/winsock/FAQ

The PC-NFS FAQ is available at:
ftp://seagull.rtd.com/pub/tcpip/pcnfsfaq.zip
ftp://ftp.york.ac.uk/pub/FAQ/pcnfs.FAQ

-rich
 moderator of the win95netbugs list
 http://www-dccs.stanford.edu/Win95Net/faq.html

1. Win95 Peer to Win95 Peer Dial-Up Networking???

OK-OK-OK!   I know this question has been posed a bazillion times
before in one form or another on this group but from what I've read I
still can't figure out what's going on with Win95 Dial-up Networking.
When I call from one machine to another (EXAMPLE : to access my
desktop remotely from my laptop) I can only get as far as the host
trying to connect and the client showing that it is still dialing.
The host has answered and they play alot of great noise to each other
but connected they are not.  For what I'm attempting to do (check
e-mail, access lotus files, etc... from the laptop) do I need to run
Dial-up Server from the Microsoft Plus Pack (Which I don't yet have)
and if so will the server interfere with MS Exchange's "Waiting for
in-coming FAX" status???  Or......alternatively.......AM I JUST WAY
OUT IN LEFT FIELD ON THIS ONE ALL TOGETHER and I need a major method
re-orientation???

Please shed some light on me.

Christine Barnes

LUGGER BAY RAINFOREST BEACH HOUSES
Mission Beach, Queensland, Australia
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~clbarnes

2. deleted something i wasnt suppose to

3. Solved: File & Print Sharing for Win95 over dial-up to unix

4. LATEST NETSCAPE VERSION DON'T WORK ON MY COMPUTER

5. Network Dial-Up Pops up on Start ups and Reboots

6. Explorer crash, KERNEL32.DLL page fault, Win98 (apologies for previous)

7. Can Windows NT offer dial-up sco unix-like dial-up services?

8. Bits per second, port

9. Dial-up networking win95: skip the automatic dialing?

10. Win 95 Dial-In Networking whiel using Dial-Up Networking (PPP)

11. Win95 & Win98 Dial-up networking password comments.

12. Setup for Win95 Dial-up Networking?

13. Get rid of the "Connect To" dialog in Win95 Dial-up Networking.