How do i stop WinME auto-installing drivers?

How do i stop WinME auto-installing drivers?

Post by entr.. » Mon, 22 Oct 2001 22:22:21

Hi,

Trying to install a sound card on a friend's comp. the other day, had
the disk with the drivers on it, but WinME insisted on installing it's
own after i put the card in, it wouldn't give me a chance to direct it
to the disk, just kept saying it had found a new device and was
installing the software for it, so i had to go in later and try and
install over the top, which is less than satisfactory.

How can i tell WinME to *always* let me direct it to the drivers i
want to install?

Thx,

Danny.

How do i stop WinME auto-installing drivers?

Post by Richard G. Harpe » Mon, 22 Oct 2001 22:45:43

I'd suggest that unless you have a reason for doing so, that you let WinMe
install its drivers instead.  They're almost assuredly newer than the ones
that came with the card, and since they're present on the WindowsMe disk
they're WHQL certified by Microsoft as submitted and tested.

The behaviour you've observed cannot be changed.  If you legitimately have
newer drivers for the device, the manufacturer should also have told you how
to let WinMe install its drivers, then install their updated drivers.

You'll also sometimes see this behaviour when you're trying to force a
device to use drivers that are not correct for it.

--

* NOTE - Private EMail is generally not replied to.  Please post all
* questions and comments in the newsgroup so all can benefit.

Quote:

> Hi,

> Trying to install a sound card on a friend's comp. the other day, had
> the disk with the drivers on it, but WinME insisted on installing it's
> own after i put the card in, it wouldn't give me a chance to direct it
> to the disk, just kept saying it had found a new device and was
> installing the software for it, so i had to go in later and try and
> install over the top, which is less than satisfactory.

> How can i tell WinME to *always* let me direct it to the drivers i
> want to install?

> Thx,

> Danny.

How do i stop WinME auto-installing drivers?

Post by entr.. » Mon, 22 Oct 2001 23:15:13

Ok, thanks for the clarification :)

Danny.

On Sun, 21 Oct 2001 09:45:43 -0400, "Richard G. Harper"

>I'd suggest that unless you have a reason for doing so, that you let WinMe
>install its drivers instead.  They're almost assuredly newer than the ones
>that came with the card, and since they're present on the WindowsMe disk
>they're WHQL certified by Microsoft as submitted and tested.

>The behaviour you've observed cannot be changed.  If you legitimately have
>newer drivers for the device, the manufacturer should also have told you how
>to let WinMe install its drivers, then install their updated drivers.

>You'll also sometimes see this behaviour when you're trying to force a
>device to use drivers that are not correct for it.

>--

>* NOTE - Private EMail is generally not replied to.  Please post all
>* questions and comments in the newsgroup so all can benefit.
>* Help US help YOU - http://members.home.com/dts-l/goodpost.htm

>> Hi,

>> Trying to install a sound card on a friend's comp. the other day, had
>> the disk with the drivers on it, but WinME insisted on installing it's
>> own after i put the card in, it wouldn't give me a chance to direct it
>> to the disk, just kept saying it had found a new device and was
>> installing the software for it, so i had to go in later and try and
>> install over the top, which is less than satisfactory.

>> How can i tell WinME to *always* let me direct it to the drivers i
>> want to install?

>> Thx,

>> Danny.

How do i stop WinME auto-installing drivers?

Post by entr.. » Mon, 22 Oct 2001 23:22:14

Actually, the reason i wanted to try the other ones was because after
WinME installed its own, the system would just crash and/or reboot
after playing a second or so of the Windows start sound, so i thought
the drivers on the disk might help.

Anyway, that was the cheapest of cheap soundcards, Eagle/CMI brand,
we're going to try out the next less-cheap Creative Vibra 128 tomorrow
and see how that goes.

Danny.

On Sun, 21 Oct 2001 09:45:43 -0400, "Richard G. Harper"

>I'd suggest that unless you have a reason for doing so, that you let WinMe
>install its drivers instead.  They're almost assuredly newer than the ones
>that came with the card, and since they're present on the WindowsMe disk
>they're WHQL certified by Microsoft as submitted and tested.

>The behaviour you've observed cannot be changed.  If you legitimately have
>newer drivers for the device, the manufacturer should also have told you how
>to let WinMe install its drivers, then install their updated drivers.

>You'll also sometimes see this behaviour when you're trying to force a
>device to use drivers that are not correct for it.

>--

>* NOTE - Private EMail is generally not replied to.  Please post all
>* questions and comments in the newsgroup so all can benefit.
>* Help US help YOU - http://members.home.com/dts-l/goodpost.htm

>> Hi,

>> Trying to install a sound card on a friend's comp. the other day, had
>> the disk with the drivers on it, but WinME insisted on installing it's
>> own after i put the card in, it wouldn't give me a chance to direct it
>> to the disk, just kept saying it had found a new device and was
>> installing the software for it, so i had to go in later and try and
>> install over the top, which is less than satisfactory.

>> How can i tell WinME to *always* let me direct it to the drivers i
>> want to install?

>> Thx,

>> Danny.

How do i stop WinME auto-installing drivers?

Post by Richard G. Harpe » Tue, 23 Oct 2001 02:57:29

Repeat after me:

"Software cannot fix hardware.  Software cannot fix hardware."

However, the reverse is surely true - hardware CAN break software.

:-)

--

* NOTE - Private EMail is generally not replied to.  Please post all
* questions and comments in the newsgroup so all can benefit.
* Help US help YOU - http://members.home.com/dts-l/goodpost.htm

> Actually, the reason i wanted to try the other ones was because after
> WinME installed its own, the system would just crash and/or reboot
> after playing a second or so of the Windows start sound, so i thought
> the drivers on the disk might help.

> Anyway, that was the cheapest of cheap soundcards, Eagle/CMI brand,
> we're going to try out the next less-cheap Creative Vibra 128 tomorrow
> and see how that goes.

> Danny.

> On Sun, 21 Oct 2001 09:45:43 -0400, "Richard G. Harper"

> >I'd suggest that unless you have a reason for doing so, that you let
WinMe
> >install its drivers instead.  They're almost assuredly newer than the
ones
> >that came with the card, and since they're present on the WindowsMe disk
> >they're WHQL certified by Microsoft as submitted and tested.

> >The behaviour you've observed cannot be changed.  If you legitimately
have
> >newer drivers for the device, the manufacturer should also have told you
how
> >to let WinMe install its drivers, then install their updated drivers.

> >You'll also sometimes see this behaviour when you're trying to force a
> >device to use drivers that are not correct for it.

> >--

> >* NOTE - Private EMail is generally not replied to.  Please post all
> >* questions and comments in the newsgroup so all can benefit.
> >* Help US help YOU - http://members.home.com/dts-l/goodpost.htm

> >> Hi,

> >> Trying to install a sound card on a friend's comp. the other day, had
> >> the disk with the drivers on it, but WinME insisted on installing it's
> >> own after i put the card in, it wouldn't give me a chance to direct it
> >> to the disk, just kept saying it had found a new device and was
> >> installing the software for it, so i had to go in later and try and
> >> install over the top, which is less than satisfactory.

> >> How can i tell WinME to *always* let me direct it to the drivers i
> >> want to install?

> >> Thx,

> >> Danny.

How do i stop WinME auto-installing drivers?

Post by Peter Loren » Tue, 23 Oct 2001 03:26:34

get yourself a soundblaster pci 16bit, must be around 20$(here in germany
its ~20?), all drivers are certified and everything works

--
Cheers
Peter Lorenz

How do i stop WinME auto-installing drivers?

Post by entr.. » Tue, 23 Oct 2001 11:34:47

Hmm, i thought that was the point of Drivers in general, they *do* fix
hardware, or at least get it to work (ideally) in your current OS
environment.

Danny.

On Sun, 21 Oct 2001 13:57:29 -0400, "Richard G. Harper"

>Repeat after me:

>"Software cannot fix hardware.  Software cannot fix hardware."

>However, the reverse is surely true - hardware CAN break software.

>:-)

>--

>* NOTE - Private EMail is generally not replied to.  Please post all
>* questions and comments in the newsgroup so all can benefit.
>* Help US help YOU - http://members.home.com/dts-l/goodpost.htm

>> Actually, the reason i wanted to try the other ones was because after
>> WinME installed its own, the system would just crash and/or reboot
>> after playing a second or so of the Windows start sound, so i thought
>> the drivers on the disk might help.

>> Anyway, that was the cheapest of cheap soundcards, Eagle/CMI brand,
>> we're going to try out the next less-cheap Creative Vibra 128 tomorrow
>> and see how that goes.

>> Danny.

>> On Sun, 21 Oct 2001 09:45:43 -0400, "Richard G. Harper"

>> >I'd suggest that unless you have a reason for doing so, that you let
>WinMe
>> >install its drivers instead.  They're almost assuredly newer than the
>ones
>> >that came with the card, and since they're present on the WindowsMe disk
>> >they're WHQL certified by Microsoft as submitted and tested.

>> >The behaviour you've observed cannot be changed.  If you legitimately
>have
>> >newer drivers for the device, the manufacturer should also have told you
>how
>> >to let WinMe install its drivers, then install their updated drivers.

>> >You'll also sometimes see this behaviour when you're trying to force a
>> >device to use drivers that are not correct for it.

>> >--

>> >* NOTE - Private EMail is generally not replied to.  Please post all
>> >* questions and comments in the newsgroup so all can benefit.
>> >* Help US help YOU - http://members.home.com/dts-l/goodpost.htm

How do i stop WinME auto-installing drivers?

Post by Richard G. Harpe » Tue, 23 Oct 2001 20:35:38

From that approach, perhaps; but no driver will fix inadequate or
malfunctioning hardware.  That's the angle I was getting at.  :-)

--

* NOTE - Private EMail is generally not replied to.  Please post all
* questions and comments in the newsgroup so all can benefit.
* Help US help YOU - http://members.home.com/dts-l/goodpost.htm

> Hmm, i thought that was the point of Drivers in general, they *do* fix
> hardware, or at least get it to work (ideally) in your current OS
> environment.

> Danny.

> On Sun, 21 Oct 2001 13:57:29 -0400, "Richard G. Harper"

> >Repeat after me:

> >"Software cannot fix hardware.  Software cannot fix hardware."

> >However, the reverse is surely true - hardware CAN break software.

> >:-)

> >--

> >* NOTE - Private EMail is generally not replied to.  Please post all
> >* questions and comments in the newsgroup so all can benefit.
> >* Help US help YOU - http://members.home.com/dts-l/goodpost.htm

> >> Actually, the reason i wanted to try the other ones was because after
> >> WinME installed its own, the system would just crash and/or reboot
> >> after playing a second or so of the Windows start sound, so i thought
> >> the drivers on the disk might help.

> >> Anyway, that was the cheapest of cheap soundcards, Eagle/CMI brand,
> >> we're going to try out the next less-cheap Creative Vibra 128 tomorrow
> >> and see how that goes.

> >> Danny.

> >> On Sun, 21 Oct 2001 09:45:43 -0400, "Richard G. Harper"

> >WinMe
> >ones

> >have
> >how

How do i stop WinME auto-installing drivers?

Post by DC » Tue, 23 Oct 2001 20:48:45

If you hide the files from windows it won't install the driver. That means clearing the history and the setup path or setting them to non existant values. Then It will prompt you for where the files are and refuse to tell it.

I suppose the startup wav file isn't corrupted as this is known to happen. Also this KB article
PSS ID Number: Q127022

Article last modified on 01-14-1999

95 98

WINDOWS

- Microsoft Windows 95

- Microsoft Windows 98

SYMPTOMS

========

In Windows you may experience any of the following behaviors:

- When you play a Windows Sound (.wav) file, you hear static.

- When you play a .wav file, your computer restarts.

- When you play a .wav file, your computer stops responding (hangs).

- When you play a .wav file, nothing happens (you hear no sound at all).

- When you enable a 16-bit sound scheme (for example, Robotz or Utopia),

Windows may stop responding (hang).

- You receive a "Fatal exception 0E" error message when the Windows Start sound

event is played during startup.

- Your computer reboots after playing the Windows startup sound.

CAUSE

=====

This behavior can be caused by a lack of support for 16-bit direct memory access

(DMA) on your computer.

RESOLUTION

==========

If the sound card in your computer is set for a 16-bit DMA channel (5, 6, or 7),

use Device Manager to change the card's configuration to an 8-bit DMA channel

(0, 1, or 3). If the sound card is set for an 8-bit DMA channel, change it to a

16-bit DMA channel.

You may also need to run the configuration tool that is shipped with the sound

card to change its DMA channel to match the Device Manager setting. If no

configuration tool is shipped with the sound card, you may need to change

jumpers on the card.

How to Change the DMA Channel

-----------------------------

To change the DMA channel setting for the sound card in Device Manager, follow

these steps:

1. Click the Start button, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

2. Double-click the System icon.

3. Click the Device Manager tab, then double-click Sound, Video, And Game

Controllers.

4. Double-click the sound card that is installed in your computer.

5. Click the Resources tab.

6. Double-click Direct Memory Access, then change the DMA setting to the setting

you want.

7. Click OK. When you are prompted to do so, restart your computer.

MORE INFORMATION

================

It may be possible to set the sound card to use single DMA mode only, if 16-bit

wave files are causing problems. The Sound Blaster family of sound cards is

software-configurable and can be set to single DMA mode with Device Manager. To

do so, follow these steps:

1. In Control Panel, double-click System.

2. On the Device Manager tab, double-click Sound, Video, And Game Controllers,

and then double-click your sound card.

3. On the Resources tab, click the Use Automatic Settings check box to clear it.

4. In the Settings Based On box, click a configuration that includes only a

single DMA setting (such as Basic Configuration 7).

5. Click OK or Close until you return to Control Panel.

Note that this information applies only to sound cards that support single DMA

operation and are software configurable. If not, you may need to run the

configuration utility included with the sound card to set it to single DMA mode

(if single DMA mode is supported).

Additional query words: 98 media vision proaudio spectrum mv pas sound blaster pro

sb sbpro wwt highdma high dma

David Candy                    [ http://www.mvps.org/serenitymacros ]
WinME Explorer Addin     [ http://www.angelfire.com/biz/serenitymacros ]

> Hmm, i thought that was the point of Drivers in general, they *do* fix
> hardware, or at least get it to work (ideally) in your current OS
> environment.

> Danny.

> On Sun, 21 Oct 2001 13:57:29 -0400, "Richard G. Harper"

> >Repeat after me:

> >"Software cannot fix hardware.  Software cannot fix hardware."

> >However, the reverse is surely true - hardware CAN break software.

> >:-)

> >--

> >* NOTE - Private EMail is generally not replied to.  Please post all
> >* questions and comments in the newsgroup so all can benefit.
> >* Help US help YOU - http://members.home.com/dts-l/goodpost.htm

> >> Actually, the reason i wanted to try the other ones was because after
> >> WinME installed its own, the system would just crash and/or reboot
> >> after playing a second or so of the Windows start sound, so i thought
> >> the drivers on the disk might help.

> >> Anyway, that was the cheapest of cheap soundcards, Eagle/CMI brand,
> >> we're going to try out the next less-cheap Creative Vibra 128 tomorrow
> >> and see how that goes.

> >> Danny.

> >> On Sun, 21 Oct 2001 09:45:43 -0400, "Richard G. Harper"

> >WinMe
> >ones

> >have
> >how

How do i stop WinME auto-installing drivers?

Post by entr.. » Tue, 23 Oct 2001 22:48:49

I guess there could have been something physically wrong with the
card, who knows, but the thing that really annoyed me was that after
installing it there were no less than about a dozen new items that had
been installed for it in the Sound, Video & Game controllers section
in Device Mgr.  I mean, i'm used to a few, but this was overkill,
there were thing's i'd never heard of, like Windows Kernel audio
renderer, all sorts of other Windows Kernel *things*, something about
"Clock streaming", whatever that is, and on and on.  None of which
were there before the sound card was installed.  I suppose i should
expect this sort of thing from a $20 no-name (or almost no-name)
soundcard :/

Danny.

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001 07:35:38 -0400, "Richard G. Harper"

Post by Richard G. Harpe » Wed, 24 Oct 2001 06:49:37

Yep, unfortunately so.

--

* NOTE - Private EMail is generally not replied to.  Please post all
* questions and comments in the newsgroup so all can benefit.
* Help US help YOU - http://members.home.com/dts-l/goodpost.htm

> I guess there could have been something physically wrong with the
> card, who knows, but the thing that really annoyed me was that after
> installing it there were no less than about a dozen new items that had
> been installed for it in the Sound, Video & Game controllers section
> in Device Mgr.  I mean, i'm used to a few, but this was overkill,
> there were thing's i'd never heard of, like Windows Kernel audio
> renderer, all sorts of other Windows Kernel *things*, something about
> "Clock streaming", whatever that is, and on and on.  None of which
> were there before the sound card was installed.  I suppose i should
> expect this sort of thing from a $20 no-name (or almost no-name)
> soundcard :/

> Danny.

> On Mon, 22 Oct 2001 07:35:38 -0400, "Richard G. Harper"

> >From that approach, perhaps; but no driver will fix inadequate or
> >malfunctioning hardware.  That's the angle I was getting at.  :-)

> >--

> >* NOTE - Private EMail is generally not replied to.  Please post all
> >* questions and comments in the newsgroup so all can benefit.
> >* Help US help YOU - http://members.home.com/dts-l/goodpost.htm

> >> Hmm, i thought that was the point of Drivers in general, they *do* fix
> >> hardware, or at least get it to work (ideally) in your current OS
> >> environment.

> >> Danny.

> >> On Sun, 21 Oct 2001 13:57:29 -0400, "Richard G. Harper"

> >disk

> >you
drivers.

> >had
> >it's
> >it

1. How to stop drivers being auto-installed from Windows Update?

Every so often ATI releases a new driver for their graphics cards. So I download it and uninstall
the previous one, as you're supposed to. This requires a reboot. When the machine has restarted,
Windows recognises that there's a device with no driver - but instead of just using a small default
graphics card driver, it uses my broadband connection to go straight to Windows Update without
asking me, downloads a driver for the card, and installs it! This is an utterly pointless step since
I'm about to install the latest driver anyway, which usually won't be on Windows Update for months.

How can I stop Windows automatically installing drivers from Windows Update like this? A prompt
before dowload and another before install at least would be courteous.

Andrew

2. avi viewer

3. Stopping auto shortcut creation for DOS programs

4. Saving pictures

5. Stop installing Flash.ocx on WinMe

6. Internet connection wizard frequently re-running

7. Video Card and stopping xp auto drivers

8. Remove XP

9. auto start and auto stop

10. Stopping the Hardware Wizard from auto installing firewire card

11. disable auto-install? can it be done?

12. How to stop Doublespace driver from loading in Win95 DOS mod

13. Clean install of XPpro from dos-boot-disk stops