WFW Could not able to get IP Address from Netware DHCP Server, But Win95 does

WFW Could not able to get IP Address from Netware DHCP Server, But Win95 does

Post by sss.. » Sun, 16 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Hello Everybody,

I am Muthuvelu from Madras - India, working as a
Network administrator (Both Netware and flavours
of UNIX). Recently i have installed NetWare DHCP
server in our NetWare server running 3.12. What
happens is when i try to connect thro my Lan Work-
Group client, it's going very well. ie. My client
could able catch it's IP address from the DHCP server.
Same thing, I tried using Windows 95 with DHCP enabled.
That's also working perfectly. I could able to run all
TCP/IP based utils.

Now let me tell u the problem. When I tried the same
thing using Windows for Workgroups Ver 3.11 it's not
going thro. I have downloaded the TCP32.ZIP file
( ie. MICROSOFT TCP/IP for WFWG ver 3.11a) from Microsoft,
installed every thing and configured for DHCP operation.
When I load WFW, after the WFW logo, the system waits for a
while (say 30 seconds) and issued a error message like this,

Error msg:

                DHCP.386

DHCP client unable to get the IP address from the DHCP
server. Do you want to see this message in future? <Y/N>

I have checked for the presense of all files and checked
all entries in system.ini, protocol.ini, and net.cfg.
Every thing seems to be fine. I don't know what to do
further. If anybody come-across a situation like this,
and get solved, pls mail me about how to solve this
problem. It will solve many of my headaches.I will be
very much thankful to all of peoble who helps me.

I don't have very frequent access to the newsgroups,
so pls kindly send me the solutions via E-mail.

Thanks in advance,

                  or

With Regards,

Muthuvelu

1. DHCP with WFW not getting the correct IP

I'm trying to install TCP/IP on WFW3.11 PC's and connect to a WinNT4.0
server as DHCP server.  Somehow the clients always get x.x.x.2 as the IP
even though I'm supplying IP's greater than x.x.x.10 on the server side.
Looking through DHCP manager on NT, it recognizes the client as having the
lease x.x.x.27, but doing ipconfig on the client claims it having x.x.x.2.
The mach address for the ethernet card with the IP x.x.x.27 is indeed the
client's ethernet.  I'm totally baffled and can't find anything in the
newsgroups and microsoft's site (not that I can get to it anyways with IE

Thanx.

Jun Ying
Java Consultant
Tier Technologies
(404) 848-9737 x217

jying                                     __  __     ____  ___       ___ ____

                                        /   / \  / / / / /__ /  \/ /___  /

2. Resolving a Host name in NT 4.0 DNS

3. bootp client (Win31/DOS) requests IP address from DHCP server

4. Word 2002 won't read word 2000 Documents

5. not able to get my DSL working through my DHCP server (win2k server)

6. In MS-oultook express, how to get the mail files from web site?------Help.

7. IP routing by Netware server (Netware/IP protocol of Client32)

8. WINOLDAP calls

9. Win95 RAS TCP/IP NT351 not able to see other servers?

10. WFW clients not seeing NT server, but win95+dos does....

11. NT DHCP Server does not release expired IP addresses

12. DHCP Server and IP Address change of the server

13. Getting IP address of client, or own IP address