Settings gone between boot-ups

Post by Jimmy R. Thomps » Mon, 09 Dec 1996 04:00:00

My son's computer running WIN95 loses his monitor settings between boot ups.
I know I have seen this posted here with answers before, but since the problem
wasn't occurring, I just didn't read it.  Can anyone give us some help on how
to get the monitor setings to stay until cahnged by user ?

Thanks in advance
Jim Thompson

Settings gone between boot-ups

Post by Patrick Kissan » Mon, 16 Dec 1996 04:00:00

[ SAFE.TXT 1K ]

          I have a problem with the installation of Windows 95.

          Following previous  problems, I  a) formatted my hard
disk, b)  installed Windows  95 from  floppy disks  ( no  other
software) and  then c) booted up. Windows 95 booted up normally
the first,  second and third time. But from the fourth time on,
it booted into "Safe Mode".

          However, if  I hit  F8 while  loading  and  then  hit
either 1)  Normal or 2) Confirm-each-step or 3) Dos Prompt (and
then Win), Windows 95 boots up normally!

          However, on occasions, after fiddling around with the
machine and  then booting,  Win 95  boots normally. However, as
mentioned above, in over 90% of cases when I boot up and do not
hit F8, Windows 95 boots into Safe Mode.

          I have followed Windows  95 Troubleshooting guide and
checked for  hardware conflicts,  including IR  conflicts,  but
found none.  I have run MacAfee and Thunderbyte anti-virus with
negative effects.

          Any help in solving the problem would be appreciated.

PATRICK KISSANE

Settings gone between boot-ups

Post by Andreas Hei » Wed, 18 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Could be a problem of your msdos.sys. Msdos.sys is a file in your boot
directory. You can edit it with notepad.
First make a security copy of msdos.sys. Then remove the attributes
(Hidden, Read Only) from your c:\msdos.sys.
Open Msdos.sys with notepad. Look for the following lines:
BootFailSafe=(0 or 1) If there is a "1" change it to "0" (zero)
BootMenu_Default= (1 to 8) The numbers stand for the options you have after
pressing F8 after booting. Should be "1"
If there are NO SUCH LINES; ADD THEM.
Save msdos.sys under All Files *.*, not *.txt-file.
BE SURE, YOU HAVE A SECURITY COPY OF THE MSDOS.SYS.
Win95 will not boot any more without this file.
If you need more help, write a mail.

Quote:

>           I have a problem with the installation of Windows 95.

>           Following previous  problems, I  a) formatted my hard
> disk, b)  installed Windows  95 from  floppy disks  ( no  other
> software) and  then c) booted up. Windows 95 booted up normally
> the first,  second and third time. But from the fourth time on,
> it booted into "Safe Mode".

>           However, if  I hit  F8 while  loading  and  then  hit
> either 1)  Normal or 2) Confirm-each-step or 3) Dos Prompt (and
> then Win), Windows 95 boots up normally!

1. Pop-ups, Pop-ups, Pop-ups EVERYWHERE .. arghhh

Is my pc infected or am I going mad here?
I get pop ups on 90% of websites that I open.
Yahoo, MSN, Ebay.... etc etc etc ..
I usually get that ad pop-up for the little investigative camera ...
And it only happens when I open a new window. Upon opening Yahoo, for
example, another smaller window pops up with an add...
Does anyone else get this? How is this fixable without installing any Pop up
removal software? I am willing to re-format if needed.
Thanks
gino

2. Another installation question

3. Viewing multiple desktops

4. Dual boot gone! Gone?

5. burning cds

6. Advertisement pop-ups and some sites gone

7. "My Pictures" Folder

8. GO HERE TO STOP POP UPS

9. BEFORE you ask how to stop pop ups go to F a Q

10. Personal Settings Lost - Returns to First Boot Settings

11. Webpage settings and annoying pop ups

12. Setting Primary and Secondary PC set-ups for e-mail