Can't stop sharing drives in Window NT 4.0 (sp6a) Workstation

Can't stop sharing drives in Window NT 4.0 (sp6a) Workstation

Post by K. Patrick Lampan » Tue, 04 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Sorry if this is a repost. I searched through the last year of posts and
coule not find my
question addressed before.

I have tried to stop sharing of my C and D drives in WIndows NT sp6a. I
remove the sharing.
Everything seems fine until I reboot my machine and find that the drives are
shared once again.
Any ideas? Am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance.

-Patrick Lampani

Can't stop sharing drives in Window NT 4.0 (sp6a) Workstation

Post by Zaw » Wed, 05 Jan 2000 04:00:00

hi,

i believe this is what u r looking 4. it is an excellent site.
hope it helps.
http://www.jsiinc.com/TIP0000/rh0096.htm

z.

Quote:> Sorry if this is a repost. I searched through the last year of posts
and
> coule not find my
> question addressed before.

> I have tried to stop sharing of my C and D drives in WIndows NT
sp6a. I
> remove the sharing.
> Everything seems fine until I reboot my machine and find that the
drives are
> shared once again.
> Any ideas? Am I missing something here?

> Thanks in advance.

> -Patrick Lampani

Can't stop sharing drives in Window NT 4.0 (sp6a) Workstation

Post by Remko Catersel » Wed, 05 Jan 2000 04:00:00

These are administrator share they ALWAYS get created and can't be switched
of by the normal means.
You have to start REGEDT32.EXE and go to the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters key and add a
value.

for workstation it is AutoShareWks: DWORD 0
for server it is AutoShareSrv: DWORD 0

Then reboot your machine. This will kill ALL admin shares (C$,D$,ADMIN$
etc.)

Grtz,
Remko

K. Patrick Lampani heeft geschreven in bericht

Quote:>Sorry if this is a repost. I searched through the last year of posts and
>coule not find my
>question addressed before.

>I have tried to stop sharing of my C and D drives in WIndows NT sp6a. I
>remove the sharing.
>Everything seems fine until I reboot my machine and find that the drives
are
>shared once again.
>Any ideas? Am I missing something here?

>Thanks in advance.

>-Patrick Lampani

Can't stop sharing drives in Window NT 4.0 (sp6a) Workstation

Post by Jeff Van Houte » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00

It could be that it is a policy downloaded from the domain you log into.  If
so, hacking the registry, as suggested by one of the writers, will not work.