Former UNIX user needs help..

Post by Peter Craf » Wed, 12 Mar 1997 04:00:00

For the last 10 years I have been doing extensive system software
development under UNIX.  I am now about to begin a sizeable
project which will be developed under NT.  I was hoping
that there might be another UNIX/NT user out there that
could help me make this transition.

Compilers for device driver development:  Which compiler
is recommended for NT device driver development?  Is the
GNU C compiler sufficient, or is there a compelling reason
to buy the Microsoft compiler?

Where can I find NT equivelents to the following tools?
        - grep
        - find
        - find | grep (for a recursive grep)
        - tags
        - cscope
        - diff

Is there a "virtual window manager" for NT?  There are a number
of window managers for UNIX which allow you to have many "screens"
defined at any given time.  Is there an equivalent desktop feature
with NT?

Is this the right place for this question?  Can anyone
recommend other resources for a struggling UNIX user?

Thanks,

Peter Craft

Former UNIX user needs help..

Post by LEIB » Wed, 12 Mar 1997 04:00:00

There's a virtual desktop manager in the Resource Kit,
and there are several from third parties.

If you're a real Unix geek, you'll probably want MKS
Utilities, which has most of the "Greatest Hits of
Unix" stuff (awk, grep, join, cat, ksh, etc).

Former UNIX user needs help..

Post by Exchan » Thu, 13 Mar 1997 04:00:00

http://www.osr.com
http://www.albany.net/~danorton/ddk/
http://www.softway.com/OpenNT/
http://www.mks.com/
http://www.winntmag.com/resources/index.html
http://www.chancellor.com/ntmain.html
http://www.nentug.org/unix-to-nt/toolkits.htm

> ----------

> Posted At:         Tuesday, March 11, 1997 7:11 PM
> Posted To:         misc
> Conversation:      Former UNIX user needs help..
> Subject:   Former UNIX user needs help..

> For the last 10 years I have been doing extensive system software
> development under UNIX.  I am now about to begin a sizeable
> project which will be developed under NT.  I was hoping
> that there might be another UNIX/NT user out there that
> could help me make this transition.

> Compilers for device driver development:  Which compiler
> is recommended for NT device driver development?  Is the
> GNU C compiler sufficient, or is there a compelling reason
> to buy the Microsoft compiler?

> Where can I find NT equivelents to the following tools?
>    - grep
>    - find
>    - find | grep (for a recursive grep)
>    - tags
>    - cscope
>    - diff

> Is there a "virtual window manager" for NT?  There are a number
> of window managers for UNIX which allow you to have many "screens"
> defined at any given time.  Is there an equivalent desktop feature
> with NT?

> Is this the right place for this question?  Can anyone
> recommend other resources for a struggling UNIX user?

> Thanks,

> Peter Craft

Former UNIX user needs help..

:
: Compilers for device driver development:  Which compiler
: is recommended for NT device driver development?  Is the
: GNU C compiler sufficient, or is there a compelling reason
: to buy the Microsoft compiler?
:
: Where can I find NT equivelents to the following tools?
:       - grep
:       - find
:       - find | grep (for a recursive grep)
:       - tags
:       - cscope
:       - diff
:
Maybe you should take a look at www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32

        Dirk
Dirk Munzinger

1. help: software sugg, former Mac user

After 7 years on the Mac the day has finally come ? I must learn and work
on Wintel.

I'm using Windows 95.

I would very much appreciate suggestions for three Mac-like software
programs (there must be something better than the clunky Microsoft Word,
for example; if I have to use that I'll probably be about 20 - 30% as
productive as I now am with MacWrite Pro).

I'm looking for the most Mac-like:

word processor/graphics
database
fax program

Even with the Mac, my philosophy has always been: keep it simple. I've
been very productive with MacWrite Pro, Touchbase Pro, and Globalfax.

I probably should go with something a little more complex than MacWrite
Pro, and more of a full-featured database than the personal-contact
database Touchbase Pro (though both have allowed me to do most everything
I've needed to in 7 years quickly and efficiently).

Would also appreciate suggestions on where else to direct this message, as
well as electronic sources of pertinent info.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

John Tieber

2. CD autorun problems

3. Former Windows 98 (2nd edition) user

4. Search for text in txt file does not always work

5. ATT former OS/2 users!

6. Win 95 Problem - Mouse Etc

7. need to format a former systems disk

8. screen saver disabled

9. I need help/I need help/I need help

10. Telnet problems WIN to Unix but not UNIX to UNIX

11. Help, how do we keep users from viewing directories in unix????

12. Need help: Info on Multimedia File Format/ Programming API on UNIX wanted