How to monitor network connections

Post by Tim Hal » Fri, 19 May 2000 04:00:00

Say I wanted to write a program like 'Black Ice' that monitors in coming
connections.  Where in the manual would I find out how to do this?

1) How do I tell if a port is trying to be connected to with out
'listening' to it?
2) How do I tell the IP address that the attempted connection is coming
from?
3) How can I monitor what outbound connections I have?

I imagine answers to the above are rather complex but a pointer to where
to find out how to do it or example source code would be great!

How to monitor network connections

Post by Ron Gabare » Sat, 27 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi Tim,

The existing verison of Network monitor will monitor all network traffic to
and from an existing Nt Server only. SMS comes with a version that allows
you to monitor network traffic on other parts of the network....

hope this helps

--
Thanx!!!

..Ron

Quote:> Say I wanted to write a program like 'Black Ice' that monitors in coming
> connections.  Where in the manual would I find out how to do this?

> 1) How do I tell if a port is trying to be connected to with out
> 'listening' to it?
> 2) How do I tell the IP address that the attempted connection is coming
> from?
> 3) How can I monitor what outbound connections I have?

> I imagine answers to the above are rather complex but a pointer to where
> to find out how to do it or example source code would be great!

1. Monitoring the number of connections on a network - tools?

I got some very good tips on my last question (monitoring bandwidth) but now
I have a new one.

Our (hardware) firewall started dropping packets and connections. It reports
too many simultaneous connections in the error log. Since its limit is 2048
sc and there are maybe 30 machines turned on and accessing through it, this
implies that each machine has at least 75 connections open! I find this
unlikely.

Any thoughts on how I can find out where all the connections are open? It
tells me the connection that caused the drop, but that just means I know
where the 2,049th connection was. For all I know, somebody has 2,000 open at
all times and that's the root of the problem. Advice appreciated.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it." -- Aristotle

2. alliance promotion?

3. Network Monitor/ Performance monitor

4. CD player can't access to internet to download track names

5. Network Monitor Agent Not in Performance Monitor

6. Windows Dictionnary

7. monitoring network traffic without performance monitor app

8. MBONE and video conferencing on NT

9. two network connections deciding which connection to use for internet explorer

10. 1394 Connection under Control Panel Network Connections

11. Network Connections wants to use dialup connection although connected to cable modem

12. Internet Connection / Network Connection

13. Can't see ICS connection in Network Connections