How to barr WIN386.EXE to load itself into conventional memory?

How to barr WIN386.EXE to load itself into conventional memory?

Post by Alan Pred » Wed, 23 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Does anyone know a trick to bar WIN386.EXE from loading itself into
conventional memory, after using available upper memory?  On some
machines WIN386.EXE uses only a very small amount of conventional
memory, even if there isn't that much upper memory available, loading
itself in extended memory (I assume).  On other machines, it uses a very
large chunk of conventional memory.

I have applications running on the network that need expanded memory
support and the use of VLM instead of NETX.  I can configure most
computers to enter Windows with about 570,000 bytes available
conventional memory, having all the network drivers loaded and expanded
memory support.  On some computers though, WIN386.EXE brings down
available conventional memory to about 480,000, which makes those
computers to be very unstable in both Windows and DOS applications.

I would appreciate very, very much if somebody knows a solution to this
problem!!

1. HELP: Need WIN386.EXE!!!

Recently i scanned my computer for viruses, and unfortunately my computer
had one. It infected my win386.exe file. Even though i used my anti-viral
software to clean the file, i can't run windows. I get a message that
win386.exe has been changed or damaged. Unfortunately, i am at school and
don't have my backup disks with me. So could somebody please mail me file
or tell me where I can get it?

Thanks in advance

2. Hot Swap Utiilty in XP Not Working

3. How to load Mouse driver in DOS high and out of conventional memory?

4. What ever happened to the Pentium III driver update?

5. How do I load a memory exe before windows xp starts to load?

6. How do I get Grub out of the master boot record?

7. Virtual Memory filling everything i have with no deletion of WIn386.swp???

8. Vanishing Restore Points

9. win386 memory usage

10. What governs size of win386 in memory?

11. Napigator gives me a "not enough conventional memory"

12. Conventional Memory Problems upon exiting Win95

13. Freeing up Conventional Memory