Internet Connection Sharing kills Internet (TCP/IP)

Internet Connection Sharing kills Internet (TCP/IP)

Post by who me » Tue, 22 Apr 2003 11:29:04

I am trying to setup a computer to be the host on two unit network.   The
computer will connect to the Internet just fine, as long as I do not install
Internet Connection Sharing.  As soon as I install ICS, the computer will
dial up and connect to the ISP, but it can not find host for e-mail or surf
to any web site.  Acts like it has a corrupt TCP/IP setup.   I have removed
and rebuilt the TCP/IP without success.  As soon as I remove the ECS, the
internet and mail connection works again.   I have run an up-to-date virus
scan and an up-to-date Adaware without finding any problems.   I even
recently re-installed Windows ME at the suggestion of Dell Tech support.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep the Internet Connection
working with ICS so that the second computer can also get online.   Both
computers share files over the network just fine.  (Network is an Ethernet
system with a hub).

Internet Connection Sharing kills Internet (TCP/IP)

Post by Steve » Tue, 22 Apr 2003 22:02:47

Quote:> I am trying to setup a computer to be the host on two unit network.   The
> computer will connect to the Internet just fine, as long as I do not
install
> Internet Connection Sharing.  As soon as I install ICS, the computer will
> dial up and connect to the ISP, but it can not find host for e-mail or
surf
> to any web site.  Acts like it has a corrupt TCP/IP setup.   I have
removed
> and rebuilt the TCP/IP without success.  As soon as I remove the ECS, the
> internet and mail connection works again.   I have run an up-to-date virus
> scan and an up-to-date Adaware without finding any problems.   I even
> recently re-installed Windows ME at the suggestion of Dell Tech support.

> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep the Internet Connection
> working with ICS so that the second computer can also get online.   Both
> computers share files over the network just fine.  (Network is an Ethernet
> system with a hub).

A good resource for setting up ICS can be found here:
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/ics/icsmeinstall.htm

Internet Connection Sharing kills Internet (TCP/IP)

Post by Gil Theisse » Wed, 23 Apr 2003 09:16:42

If you can't get ICS working to your satisfaction, try Browsegate:
https://netcplus.securesites.com/browsegate.html
It's an NAT proxy server that's free  for a two user network and works great
for me.
                                 Your  mileage may vary -- Gil Theissen