How to setup a Win95 TCP/IP gateway to forward IP

Post by Chris » Mon, 12 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>>Can Win95 act as a gateway for IP?  If so, how is this done?  We
>>tried setting one machine's gateway setting to a machine outside
>>our immediate local net, and have all other machines point at that one
>>as the gateway; doesn't seem to work.  The "gateway wannabe" can see
>>the outside, and the other machines can see the wannabe, but not the
>>outside.
>>"If you want to do buzzword oriented programming, you    \\\//
>> must use a strongly hyped language.."  -unknown         (O O)
>>-----------------------------------------------------oOo--(_)--oOo--------

>>Dept. of Electrical & Computer Engineering
>>University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ont. Canada
>I'm using WinGate at home.  It's not a gateway, but I believe it will
>do what you are asking.  It's actually a proxy server, which can be
>used as a go between on the network.  You can use a dial-up or ISDN
>connection on one machine on your LAN, then all other machines on the
>LAN will have access to the internet.  The installation and setup
>learning curve was realitively short for me.  I still haven't got the
>mail host proxied yet, but I do have Internet Explorer, Netscape, IRC,
>Telnet, FTP, and Free Agent News configured and running a remote
>machine, linked to the internet through WinGate.  A single user
>license is free, so it shouldn't hurt to give it a try.  If you need
>to give access to more than one remote machine on your LAN, upgrade
>packages are priced very reasonably.

Ronnie - Sounds like the WinGate product is what I am looking for; I
have two PCs with win95 at home, ethernetted together. One of my PCs
has modem/PPP connection to my ISP (Internet Service Provider - Netcom
in my case).  I have tried everything I can think of to get the PC
without the modem to 'see' the connection to the internet without
success.  What suprises me is, nowhere do I read/see that Win95 cannot
route IP, so why does this not work in the first place?

I presume I can find WinGate on the web be searching ... hope, hope?

Thanks, Chris

Post by Benjamin Shult » Wed, 14 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>>> Win95 would be a terrible platform for routing software anyway. Lots of
>>> overhead, poor performance.

>>> Linux is free. Get it.

>>> -rich

>>LINUX is free huh?  And I suppose it installs with A:\INSTALL
>>and actually works?  Not on this PC...

Linux installed that easily on every PC I ever installed it on.
That includes old (486/33) and new (PPro/200).
I have never had a Windows install go as easily as a Linux install.
And when I finally get Windows installed, it cant' do what Unix does.
Your mileage may vary.  Try it before you knock it.

--

Department of Mathematics       Phone:  (512) 471-7711 ext. 208
University of Texas at Austin   WWW:    http://www.ma.utexas.edu/users/bshults

How to setup a Win95 TCP/IP gateway to forward IP

Post by Rob Engl » Wed, 14 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>>can I give all my computers on
>>the network a IP and have all the information somehow get sent through
>>1 win95 computer hooked up with a modem?

>Nope.  Win95 does not do IP routing.

Anyone want to try this out?

Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1996 00:56:16 -0500
Subject: Here's how to route IP with Win95

I finally figured out how to get Windows 95 to do routing
of IP packets.  It turns out that Microsoft disabled this
feature in the final release of Windows 95.  I suspect that
Bill Gates & Co. deliberately disabled this to try and
differentiate Windows NT from Windows 95 - dumb.

To re-enable it, just get vip.386 from build 490 (the
Windows 95 Preview Program CD).

vip.386 is in the \windows\system directory.  Make a
copy of it (i.e. in oldvip.386), and then put the
Preview Program CD in the CD drive.  The commands to
extract vip.386 from the CD are:

  D:
  CD \WIN95\WIN95
  EXTRACT /E /L C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM win95_14.cab vip.386

Then run regedit.exe and go to:

  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP

and add:

  EnableRouting "1"

Reboot your computer, and now routing will work fine
on Windows 95.  You can use the ROUTE.EXE command to
add static routes (but they need to be added each time
you boot - a .BAT file started from the Startup folder
will do the trick).

You can get routing statistics by using the "netstat -s -p ip"
command.

Rob Engler

Post by Thomas Le » Thu, 15 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>>>can I give all my computers on
>>>the network a IP and have all the information somehow get sent through
>>>1 win95 computer hooked up with a modem?

>>Nope.  Win95 does not do IP routing.

>Anyone want to try this out?

Technically, you no longer have the licence to use this code.  It may
work, but it has been suggested, privately, that although this code is
close to working it would not have been disabled if it had fully worked.
There's a patch (close to being released) - wait for it.

Thomas

--

Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer and Certified Trainer
PS Partnership - A Microsoft Solution Provider

How to setup a Win95 TCP/IP gateway to forward IP

Post by Yong Shao Horn » Thu, 15 Feb 1996 04:00:00

[snipped]
Quote:> Ronnie - Sounds like the WinGate product is what I am looking for; I
> have two PCs with win95 at home, ethernetted together. One of my PCs
> has modem/PPP connection to my ISP (Internet Service Provider - Netcom
> in my case).  I have tried everything I can think of to get the PC
> without the modem to 'see' the connection to the internet without
> success.  What suprises me is, nowhere do I read/see that Win95 cannot
> route IP, so why does this not work in the first place?
> Do a "winipcfg /all", you should see that "IP Routing Enabled" is

checked off.

Yong Shao Horng
Standard disclaimer applies.

"The cost of living is high, but it's worth it."
                                               - Doug Larson

Post by Mark Grego » Sun, 18 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>>>Nope.  Win95 does not do IP routing.

>>Anyone want to try this out?
>Technically, you no longer have the licence to use this code.  It may
>work, but it has been suggested, privately, that although this code is
>close to working it would not have been disabled if it had fully worked.
>There's a patch (close to being released) - wait for it.
>Thomas
>--

>Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer and Certified Trainer
>PS Partnership - A Microsoft Solution Provider
>Ph: +44 1628 850 077   Fax: +44 1628 850 143

Thomas is correct about the rule of law, but I must
say that we, the users, have been screaming for better routing
from NT in particular, since the early days of the beta program.

I connect to a NT server via RAS and cannot get my laptop
to route through the NT client to the internet via the NT server.

I now use wingate.  Why Microsoft why?

--

PH+61 3 6603243 FAX+61 3 6621060 http://www.co.rmit.edu.au
Department of Communication and Electronic Engineering,

How to setup a Win95 TCP/IP gateway to forward IP

Post by Thomas Le » Mon, 19 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Thomas is correct about the rule of law, but I must
>say that we, the users, have been screaming for better routing
>from NT in particular, since the early days of the beta program.

This is little excuse to use unlicensed code.  Personally, even if Win95
did do routing, I'd not really want to use it for anything significant.
NT really is a better platform for IP routing.

Quote:>I connect to a NT server via RAS and cannot get my laptop
>to route through the NT client to the internet via the NT server.

I'm obviosly missing someting here - NT routes fine and with MPR, it can
handle RIP routing. It's Win95 that doesn't do routing.

Quote:

>I now use wingate.  Why Microsoft why?

Because Win95 does not do routing.  During the beta phase there were a
lot of things taken out, IP routing was one.  We never got it to work in
the beta, but I'd be the first to admint I didn;t spend all that much
time on it.

Thomas
--

Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer and Certified Trainer
PS Partnership - A Microsoft Solution Provider
Ph: +44 1628 850 077   Fax: +44 1628 850 143

How to setup a Win95 TCP/IP gateway to forward IP

Post by Gary Belang » Mon, 19 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Will this Wingate software work on Windows NT?  If not, what software
does the same but works on Windows NT?

Post by Dan Phillip » Fri, 23 Feb 1996 04:00:00

> I'm obviosly missing someting here - NT routes fine and with MPR, it can
> handle RIP routing. It's Win95 that doesn't do routing.

> >I now use wingate.  Why Microsoft why?

> Because Win95 does not do routing.  During the beta phase there were a
> lot of things taken out, IP routing was one.  We never got it to work in
> the beta, but I'd be the first to admint I didn;t spend all that much
> time on it.

> Thomas
> --

> Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer and Certified Trainer
> PS Partnership - A Microsoft Solution Provider
> Ph: +44 1628 850 077   Fax: +44 1628 850 143

Thomas, I have been trying to find some help in disabling the
auto-disconnect feature of the NT RAS but have been unsuccessful in
finding where this feature is hid.  The NT machine dials up at 8:00am
and disconnects at midnight but I would like to have it stay on without
disconnecting period now that I have a dedicated port from my I-net
provider.  Can you or anybody else reading this give me a bit of help in
finding this hidden Microsoft pain in the rear feature?