DEBUG:Tooltips= YES REL:Tooltips?NO!

Post by Owen Ranse » Tue, 15 Jul 1997 04:00:00

VC++ 4.2b, MFC, Something odd has happened: When I compile
a Windows 95 EXE under _DEBUG configuration tooltips
are present on the toolbar. When I compile under
_RELEASE configuration they no longer work. Any ideas
anyone?

Please reply publicly *and* by email if possible

Thanks!

Buy the book! "AutoCAD Programming in C/C++"  ISBN 0471963364
INFO:     http://www.buildingweb.com/progacad
ORDER:    https://www.wiley.com/compbooks/catalog/96336-4.htm

DEBUG:Tooltips= YES REL:Tooltips?NO!

Post by Owen Ranse » Tue, 15 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> >VC++ 4.2b, MFC, Something odd has happened: When I compile
> >a Windows 95 EXE under _DEBUG configuration tooltips
> >are present on the toolbar. When I compile under
> >_RELEASE configuration they no longer work. Any ideas
> >anyone?

Further investigation shows me that tooltips of
this progam, work on some computers and not on others.
I've even tried different DLLs (MSVCRT etx) to no
avail...help!

Please reply publicly *and* by email if possible

--

Post by Davide Marca » Tue, 15 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>VC++ 4.2b, MFC, Something odd has happened: When I compile
>a Windows 95 EXE under _DEBUG configuration tooltips
>are present on the toolbar. When I compile under
>_RELEASE configuration they no longer work. Any ideas
>anyone?

>Please reply publicly *and* by email if possible

Looks like you are not including some relevant code in your release build.

Are you sure you did not put any relevant code inside ASSERT() macros or
#ifdef _DEBUG / #endif blocks?
In the first case, replace ASSERT with VERIFY and the code (with the check)
will work also in release builds.
The solution for the second case is quite obvious.

HTH,

Davide Marcato.
| -- AshNet S.r.l.
| -- C/C++ & Windows Developer
| -- Internet Developer & Administrator
| -- Tech. Writer: "Computer Programming", "Login", "DEV"
| -- 15 Years Old Student

| -- Web: www.ashnet.it - www.netics.net

DEBUG:Tooltips= YES REL:Tooltips?NO!

Post by Richard Lewis Haggar » Wed, 23 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Perhaps if you'd supply a bit more information about how you are creating
the tooltips.///

Are you talking about the standard tooltips that appear over the standard
toolbar buttons or are you referring to tooltips that you've added to the
tooltip control and are actuated over various windows/rectangles scattered
about the app's client area?

If the later then I suspect that you are loading your tooltip strings from
resources. Does this sound familiar? The tooltip control has a little known
attribute- it doesn't make a copy of the passed in string. It makes a copy
of the passed in string pointer. If the string storage goes away then the
tooltip will display unplanned text. On most machines the deallocated
memory is still there and valid. On some machines it won't be.

--
Richard Lewis Haggard
Haggard & Associates, International

I have a photographic memory but I seem to have misplaced the film.

Post by rfle » Mon, 28 Jul 1997 04:00:00

: > >VC++ 4.2b, MFC, Something odd has happened: When I compile
: > >a Windows 95 EXE under _DEBUG configuration tooltips
: > >are present on the toolbar. When I compile under
: > >_RELEASE configuration they no longer work. Any ideas
: > >anyone?
: > >
: >

: Further investigation shows me that tooltips of
: this progam, work on some computers and not on others.
: I've even tried different DLLs (MSVCRT etx) to no
: avail...help!

I've run into the same problem. While trying the program on several
computers at work, I discovered that everything works fine if Internet
explorer has been installed on that computer but otherwise it doesn't
work. No tooltips whatsoever and my toolbar, which is flat appears as a
normal toolbar. I don't really mind the latter that much but the tooltips
are pretty much essential to the app. Anyone have any clues about this??

Thanks,
Ronald

DEBUG:Tooltips= YES REL:Tooltips?NO!

Post by rfle » Mon, 28 Jul 1997 04:00:00

All,

I've had a look at KB at MS and found the following:
Article id Q167650
Debug version of application  (and release version) : tooltips not
displayed.

This is because mfc 4.21 uses a new version of commctrl.h which has a
modified toolinfo struct.

It is solved in servicepack 1 for visual c 5.0

the problem occurs with mfc42x.dll version 4.21.7022 and comctl32.dll
version 4.00.

/Ronald

Post by Tim Ebbe » Tue, 29 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> : > >VC++ 4.2b, MFC, Something odd has happened: When I compile
> : > >a Windows 95 EXE under _DEBUG configuration tooltips
> : > >are present on the toolbar. When I compile under
> : > >_RELEASE configuration they no longer work. Any ideas
> : > >anyone?
> : > >
> : >

> : Further investigation shows me that tooltips of
> : this progam, work on some computers and not on others.
> : I've even tried different DLLs (MSVCRT etx) to no
> : avail...help!

> I've run into the same problem. While trying the program on several
> computers at work, I discovered that everything works fine if Internet
> explorer has been installed on that computer but otherwise it doesn't
> work. No tooltips whatsoever and my toolbar, which is flat appears as a
> normal toolbar. I don't really mind the latter that much but the tooltips
> are pretty much essential to the app. Anyone have any clues about this??

> Thanks,
> Ronald

comctrl32.dll
maybe oleaut32.dll, too.

Invoke the properties dialog on these files to display the version numbers.
 Note that microsoft has not given permission to redistribute these dll's
yet.

--
TIME
2470 Island Drive #304

"Well, I ain't often right but I've never been wrong;
 Seldom turns out the way it does in the song."
- Robert Hunter

Post by William E. Kem » Wed, 30 Jul 1997 04:00:00

:> : > >VC++ 4.2b, MFC, Something odd has happened: When I compile
:> : > >a Windows 95 EXE under _DEBUG configuration tooltips
:> : > >are present on the toolbar. When I compile under
:> : > >_RELEASE configuration they no longer work. Any ideas
:> : > >anyone?
:> : > >
:> : >
:>
:> : Further investigation shows me that tooltips of
:> : this progam, work on some computers and not on others.
:> : I've even tried different DLLs (MSVCRT etx) to no
:> : avail...help!
:>
:> I've run into the same problem. While trying the program on several
:> computers at work, I discovered that everything works fine if Internet
:> explorer has been installed on that computer but otherwise it doesn't
:> work. No tooltips whatsoever and my toolbar, which is flat appears as a
:> normal toolbar. I don't really mind the latter that much but the tooltips
:> are pretty much essential to the app. Anyone have any clues about this??
:>
:> Thanks,
:> Ronald
:>
:
:comctrl32.dll
:maybe oleaut32.dll, too.
:
:Invoke the properties dialog on these files to display the version numbers.
: Note that microsoft has not given permission to redistribute these dll's
:yet.

Have you installed SP1?  There's a known bug that causes an ASSERT on
debug builds, and no tooltips on a release build when run on Win95
that was fixed in SP1.

-----
William E. Kempf          : http://www.novia.net/~srwillrd

Knight of the Ascii Table :

1. Tooltips & Debug Toolbar keep disapearing

I've got this weird problem: First I noticed that the debug toolbar
disapeared when you clicked a button on it (however, if you minimised
then maximised VC++ it came back). Then I noticed the tootips had
disapeared.

I've set & re-set the tooltips checkbox in project options, but to no
avail.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I'm using VC++5.

TIA

Paul.
Expressed opinions are usually my own.
Especially if they're any good (of course).

2. uninstalling or disabling internet explorer

3. Tooltips only working in Debug mode

4. Weard problem with OE6 newsreader!

5. WM SDK tooltip error

6. How to highlight selected item on CListCtrl

7. BUG: WMP 9: Volume Tooltip [and presumedly other sliders] - Sometimes there Sometimes not

8. teach me the method

9. MediaPlayer 6.4 Tooltips visible when ShowControls=False

10. Tooltip error

11. Media player tooltips

12. WMP9: Disable "Tooltip" when running in taskbar

13. get text from a tooltip window