Windows NT DHCP server as a BOOTP server

Windows NT DHCP server as a BOOTP server

Post by Venk » Wed, 08 Nov 1995 04:00:00



Hi,
1.   I was wondering if I can use my Windows NT DHCP server to      
service my BOOTP client ?

2.   Does Windows NT advanced NT server supply a TFTP server.

3.   If a BOOTP client does not know its IP address, is it          
possible for DHCP servers on remote subnets to be able to                
service it.i.e Will the BOOTP relay agents forward      
(route) limited broadcasts made by the DHCP server to      the
BOOTP client.

Thanks in advance

Venky

 
 
 

Windows NT DHCP server as a BOOTP server

Post by Bud Millwoo » Sun, 12 Nov 1995 04:00:00



>I'm a little out of my league here, but...



>>Hi,
>>1.   I was wondering if I can use my Windows NT DHCP server to      
>>service my BOOTP client ?

>I don't believe so.  BOOTP is an optional extenstion to DHCP and Microsoft
>chose not to implement it.

(snip)

Quote:>>3.   If a BOOTP client does not know its IP address, is it          
>>possible for DHCP servers on remote subnets to be able to                
>>service it.i.e Will the BOOTP relay agents forward      
>>(route) limited broadcasts made by the DHCP server to      the
>>BOOTP client.

>I don't think so.

(snip)

For question 3, a BOOTP Relay will forward a DHCP packet, and a central
DHCP server can allocate IP addresses across multiple subnets.

Also, the BOOTP RFC states that a BOOTP response doesn't have to be a
broadcast (the server may add an entry for the client in its arp cache),
so if the DHCP server can do this then the response would be a directed
datagram. I'm sure someone could trace this out and tell us if DHCP
responds with directed datagrams.

This information doesn't help much, though, unless you have DHCP clients
on the other end.

I'm working on a BOOTP server for NT.

Bud Millwood


 
 
 

Windows NT DHCP server as a BOOTP server

Post by Bud Millwoo » Sun, 12 Nov 1995 04:00:00



>I'm a little out of my league here, but...



>>Hi,
>>1.   I was wondering if I can use my Windows NT DHCP server to      
>>service my BOOTP client ?

>I don't believe so.  BOOTP is an optional extenstion to DHCP and Microsoft
>chose not to implement it.

(snip)

Quote:>>3.   If a BOOTP client does not know its IP address, is it          
>>possible for DHCP servers on remote subnets to be able to                
>>service it.i.e Will the BOOTP relay agents forward      
>>(route) limited broadcasts made by the DHCP server to      the
>>BOOTP client.

>I don't think so.

(snip)

For question 3, a BOOTP Relay will forward a DHCP packet, and a central
DHCP server can allocate IP addresses across multiple subnets.

Also, the BOOTP RFC states that a BOOTP response doesn't have to be a
broadcast (the server may add an entry for the client in its arp cache),
so if the DHCP server can do this then the response would be a directed
datagram. I'm sure someone could trace this out and tell us if DHCP
responds with directed datagrams.

This information doesn't help much, though, unless you have DHCP clients
on the other end.

I'm working on a BOOTP server for NT.

Bud Millwood

 
 
 

1. Windows NT DHCP server as a BOOTP server ?Routable ?

Hi,
1.   I was wondering if I can use my Windows NT DHCP server to  
     service my BOOTP client ?

2.   Does Windows NT advanced NT server supply a TFTP server.

3.   If a BOOTP client does not know its IP address, is it      
     possible for DHCP servers on remote subnets to be able to          
     service it.i.e Will the BOOTP relay agents forward
     (route) limited broadcasts made by the DHCP server to
     the BOOTP client.

Thanks in advance

Venky

2. PMMail98 to Eudora conversion?

3. Bootp/DHCP on windows NT 3.51 Server

4. still imaging monitor error

5. Configuring DHCP Server: Windows NT 4.0 Server - Windows 2000 Professional workstation

6. help .. I need sombody help ...

7. DHCP/BOOTP compatibility, New DHCP Server

8. Modem Internet Connection still not working

9. Any BOOTP server for NT (NOT NOT NOT DHCP)

10. Windows NT DHCP Server and Win95 DHCP Client

11. Uninstall DCHP server on Win 2k server and use Linksys DHCP builtin server

12. Migrating bootp to DHCP server

13. Dynamic BOOTP/DHCP server needed