Installing IE4...help!

Post by Tom Trave » Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I have tried many times to install IE4.01, both from the net and from CD. I
always get the msg about "Unable to download needed components; Internet is
likely busy."
I have read quite a few posts about this problem, and have tried everything I
have seen so far. I also read the MS Knowledge base articles, and have tried
what it said in there (rename wintrust.dll, wininet.dll and urlmon.dll to have
.old extensions). I also got rid of everything in the task list except
Explorer. I am still getting the msg. Does anyone know what else I can try,
short of a reformat?
Please email any responses, if convenient.
Tom

1. HELP - Why won't IE4 install?

I have got a copy of IE4 from a free cover disk (UK mag PC Plus). I go
through the setup program (choosing to open the file, rather than save
it to disk, which makes it think it will need to download the program).
When it prepares to install, it just says it could not install all the
components and tells me to exit all other programs and try again. I
wasn't running other programs, and there was plenty of disk space for
it. I also tried setup from Windows Explorer, and Run on the start menu.
It does the same on 2 other copies of IE4 on similar disks. I know I'm
doing something wrong, but what? My OS is Win95, and I'm using IE3 and
occasionally Netscape 4. I have 48MB RAM, so that shouldn't be a
problem. I'm using this newsgroup because the mag's support just refers
me to Microsoft's online support, which, quite frankly, is rubbish (you
can't contact a technical engineer by email!). Help would be much

server is messing me about and I'm temporarily using another one.
Thanks,
Sam, Hull, UK.

2. Paging file too small

3. Unable to Install IE4 or 5. Please Help

4. WinXP Home will not start after hibernation

5. help with IE4 install

6. Java

7. Help: Looking for Quick Launch bar w/o installing IE4...

8. Ongoing browser problem.Please help

9. Can I use IEAK4 to update IE4.0 to IE4.01 SP2

10. IE4.0 to IE4.01: Full replacement or component upgrade??

11. IE4.0--->IE4.01; worth it, and how to do it?

12. IE4 News - How to Get Rid of IE4 - Jan. 31

13. InstantFavorites Add-on for IE4.0 AND IE4.01