Logon error with known good ID & Password / TCP/IP

Logon error with known good ID & Password / TCP/IP

Post by Joe Christia » Wed, 11 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I'm running NT Server 4.0 with Service pack 3.  The server is also a DHCP
server and the only protocol is TCP/IP.  I am being plagued with
workstations getting a login error which says that the login was refused or
it is the wrong domain.  Rebooting the workstation doesn't help.  It is not
related to the ID/password as the same ID/password will work ok on another
workstation.  If I kill the lease for the affected workstation and let it
renegotiate the lease, then it will work for a while but if you shutdown and
logon as a different user enough times, it will eventually crash.  I'm about
out of ideas and any help would be appreciated.

Post by Axelle Croise » Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> I'm running NT Server 4.0 with Service pack 3.  The server is also a DHCP
> server and the only protocol is TCP/IP.
>  I am being plagued with
> workstations getting a login error which says that the login was refused or

Does the problem occur for a specific group of workstations or, from
time to time, on whatsoever workstation ?

Quote:> it is the wrong domain.

That's NT's message when he can't reach the server, or when
authentication fails.
Do you really need DHCP ? If there's a config problem between those two
protocols, your stations may not always be able to reach the PDC...

Quote:>  Rebooting the workstation doesn't help.

I should have expected so...

Quote:>  It is not related to the ID/password as the same ID/password will work ok on another
> workstation.  If I kill the lease for the affected workstation and let it
> renegotiate the lease, then it will work for a while but if you shutdown and
> logon as a different user enough times, it will eventually crash.

Gosh ! :-(

Quote:> I'm about
> out of ideas and any help would be appreciated.

Have you checked that you're allowed to login from the problematic NT
Workstations ? (see domain user manager, click on the user and have a
look at parameters : access, schedule...).
Have you got many users ? If so, maybe a Backup Domain Controller would
help : whenever the Primary Domain Controller is too busy, the BDC will
take over authentication.

    http://www.mygale.org/09/axelle
"Un crocodile peut en cacher un autre."

Logon error with known good ID & Password / TCP/IP

Post by Axelle Croise » Fri, 13 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hi,
I got your email, tried to reply but I got my message back... (actually,
it's an error from my side, but I can't get it fixed now, so I reply via
news).

Have you tried to change settings of network card ? (either in BIOS, or
in NT) : look for UTP.
However, if setting was wrong, you'd never reach your PDC, so I doubt
this is the problem, sorry...

Good luck !