DHCP/BOOTP compatibility, New DHCP Server

DHCP/BOOTP compatibility, New DHCP Server

Post by Micah O'Conno » Thu, 06 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Following quote from the Windows NT Networking Guide from MS' Windows
NT Resource Kit:

BOOTP is the bootstrap protocol used to configure systems across internetworks.
DHCP is an extension of BOOTP.  Although Microsoft DHCP Server does not
support BOOTP, it has no problem interoperating with an existing BOOTP
installation.  The DHCP server simply ignores BOOTP packets that it recieves.

End Quote.

SIMPLY IGNORES?

Does this mean that all of the PC's on my network which currently use
BOOTP, and all of my HP printers, which can ONLY use BOOTP, cannot
use an NT DHCP server??????  The DHCP protocol was created to be backward
compatible with BOOTP, though now it looks like MS DHCP is not the
normal DHCP.

If I wanted to use a new network configuration protocol that was
incompatible with everything that I am currently using, I could have
created it myself.

Is there another DHCP server built to be compatible with BOOTP requests
which runs on NT?

Micah O'Connor
Investment Management Services
New York, NY

Post by John Sto » Fri, 07 Apr 1995 04:00:00

>Does this mean that all of the PC's on my network which currently use
>BOOTP, and all of my HP printers, which can ONLY use BOOTP, cannot
>use an NT DHCP server??????

Yes!  I tried it, in the forlorn hope that it would work but MS did
not lie; ignores is correct. There seem to be postings implying that
Unix DHCP servers do both and the BOOTP subset would certainly be nice
to have from NT.

Even worse is that MS DHCP clients seem to take the first offer that
comes along and not the best offer. Thus my clients may ignore their
nice permanent reserved addresses and take the first dynamic offer
that they see.

Still, it's all rather early code (even if shipping versions).

John Stott

Post by Mike Vandus » Thu, 13 Apr 1995 04:00:00

>>Does this mean that all of the PC's on my network which currently use
>>BOOTP, and all of my HP printers, which can ONLY use BOOTP, cannot
>>use an NT DHCP server??????

>Yes!  I tried it, in the forlorn hope that it would work but MS did
>not lie; ignores is correct. There seem to be postings implying that
>Unix DHCP servers do both and the BOOTP subset would certainly be nice
>to have from NT.

It is my understanding the you should be able to leave your current
BOOTP server in place to service those clients not supported by
MS DHCP, and configure a MS DHCP server to serve those clients that
don't require the traditional BOOTP services.  ie. that the two
servers can play together on the same net, assuming that they have
been configured to not serve each other's address space.

Has anyone seen that this is not the case?

Regards,
Mike

1. Windows NT DHCP server as a BOOTP server ?Routable ?

Hi,
1.   I was wondering if I can use my Windows NT DHCP server to
     service my BOOTP client ?

2.   Does Windows NT advanced NT server supply a TFTP server.

3.   If a BOOTP client does not know its IP address, is it
     possible for DHCP servers on remote subnets to be able to
     service it.i.e Will the BOOTP relay agents forward
     (route) limited broadcasts made by the DHCP server to
     the BOOTP client.

Thanks in advance

Venky

2. Socks

3. Windows NT DHCP server as a BOOTP server

4. Dialogs with Menus

5. Microsoft support for DHCP and BootP (was TCP/IP Service & BootP)

6. OE sending incoming mail to Deleted Items

7. Migrating bootp to DHCP server

8. Acrobat plug-in in Netscape 3.0

9. Dynamic BOOTP/DHCP server needed

10. Bootp/DHCP on windows NT 3.51 Server

11. DHCP or BOOTP server

12. Any BOOTP server for NT (NOT NOT NOT DHCP)

13. bootp client (Win31/DOS) requests IP address from DHCP server