Dual IP Addresses

Post by TeGGe » Tue, 14 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Anybody know if Windows 98 supports dual IP addresses?

I currently have Win95A. If I need to access resources on my dialup Internet
connection or my LAN which both run TCP/IP, I need to go into the TCP/IP
settings in Control Panel each time and change them over to one or the
other. Win95 appears to be unable to keep both sets of TCP/IP settings at
once. What a pain!

If Win98 will allow this, that will prompt me to upgrade.

Thanks.
--Teg

Dual IP Addresses

Post by Nick Carte » Tue, 14 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Don`t know about ver A, but in B both are supported in Control Panel
simultaneously. You should ensure that TCP/IP is installed for DUN, but do
not put any settings in CP. You can then set as many dial-up IPs as you wish
from the dial-up networking box while still keeping the LAN settings. Win98
is the same.

Quote:> Anybody know if Windows 98 supports dual IP addresses?

> I currently have Win95A. If I need to access resources on my dialup
Internet
> connection or my LAN which both run TCP/IP, I need to go into the TCP/IP
> settings in Control Panel each time and change them over to one or the
> other. Win95 appears to be unable to keep both sets of TCP/IP settings at
> once. What a pain!

> If Win98 will allow this, that will prompt me to upgrade.

> Thanks.
> --Teg

Dual IP Addresses

Post by Shannon Wheele » Tue, 14 Sep 1999 04:00:00

A little more info please:
You have a modem for the dial-up connection and a network interface card for
the LAN?
Or you use the modem for both?

Either way, you should be able to do it. You can actually assign several IP
addresses to one network interface (either the dial-up adapter or an actual
network card).

Write back please...

Shannon

>Anybody know if Windows 98 supports dual IP addresses?

>I currently have Win95A. If I need to access resources on my dialup
Internet
>connection or my LAN which both run TCP/IP, I need to go into the TCP/IP
>settings in Control Panel each time and change them over to one or the
>other. Win95 appears to be unable to keep both sets of TCP/IP settings at
>once. What a pain!

>If Win98 will allow this, that will prompt me to upgrade.

>Thanks.
>--Teg

Dual IP Addresses

Post by Shannon Wheele » Wed, 15 Sep 1999 04:00:00

If you have a modem *and* a NIC, I don't see what the original problem is...
Do you access your LAN through a 'gateway'?

As for several IP addresses on one interface, yes, Win95 allows this. In
network properties, where you see your adapters and protocols listed, simply
select ADD, select, Protocol, select, Microsoft, select TCP/IP. Yes, I know
you already have TCP/IP. You have to add a second 'instance' of it.

Shannon

>Dialup is a modem, LAN is a NIC.

>When you say you can assign several IP addresses to one interface, is this
>in Win98 or Win95? My Win95 can only take one set of addresses for TCP/IP
>regardless of which interface it's bound to.

>> A little more info please:
>> You have a modem for the dial-up connection and a network interface card
>for
>> the LAN?
>> Or you use the modem for both?

>> Either way, you should be able to do it. You can actually assign several
>IP
>> addresses to one network interface (either the dial-up adapter or an
>actual
>> network card).

>> Write back please...

>> Shannon

>> >Anybody know if Windows 98 supports dual IP addresses?

>> >I currently have Win95A. If I need to access resources on my dialup
>> Internet
>> >connection or my LAN which both run TCP/IP, I need to go into the TCP/IP
>> >settings in Control Panel each time and change them over to one or the
>> >other. Win95 appears to be unable to keep both sets of TCP/IP settings
at
>> >once. What a pain!

>> >If Win98 will allow this, that will prompt me to upgrade.

>> >Thanks.
>> >--Teg

Dual IP Addresses

Post by TeGGe » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Dialup is a modem, LAN is a NIC.

When you say you can assign several IP addresses to one interface, is this
in Win98 or Win95? My Win95 can only take one set of addresses for TCP/IP
regardless of which interface it's bound to.

> A little more info please:
> You have a modem for the dial-up connection and a network interface card
for
> the LAN?
> Or you use the modem for both?

> Either way, you should be able to do it. You can actually assign several
IP
> addresses to one network interface (either the dial-up adapter or an
actual
> network card).

> Write back please...

> Shannon

> >Anybody know if Windows 98 supports dual IP addresses?

> >I currently have Win95A. If I need to access resources on my dialup
> Internet
> >connection or my LAN which both run TCP/IP, I need to go into the TCP/IP
> >settings in Control Panel each time and change them over to one or the
> >other. Win95 appears to be unable to keep both sets of TCP/IP settings at
> >once. What a pain!

> >If Win98 will allow this, that will prompt me to upgrade.

> >Thanks.
> >--Teg

1. Dual IP addresses

I have two networks that I plug my xp pro laptop into, one has an static IP
range of 10.0.2.0/24 and the other 192.168.5.0/24.
I have set up the laptop with an IP address on both networks which works
fine, however, even though I have put both default gateways in the advanced
IP config I cannot get out on to the internet unless the default gateway
relevant to me is the only one there or higher on the list. How odd! What am
I doing wrong or is there an alternative set up to fix this problem?

TIA,
DM

2. attention Cari

3. Win95 & Dual IP Addresses

4. Web pages Minimised

5. Dual IP addresses

6. Windows CE and the UNICODE character set

7. WIN 95 Dual IP addresses on one card?

8. IrDA Driver Problem

9. help with setting up NT for dual IP addresses

10. Dual IP addresses

11. Problem in translating an ip address to another ip address with IE

12. TCP/IP: Gateway address and IP address are same in Winipcfg

13. Getting IP address of client, or own IP address