help-win95 RAS & network

Post by a » Wed, 29 Nov 1995 04:00:00

help, please.
i thought i knew what i was doing but this has got me stumped.
i've set up a client's win95 peer to peer network using netbios over
ipx/spx on thin ethernet. except for an occasional inability to update
a shedule+ .scd from a different machine on the network it works quite
well.  i've enabled a machine as an RAS.  my client can dial in and
access all functions of the host but cannot see nor access any other
computer on the network.
the only symptom other than that is the fact that the host does not
initially show up in network neighborhood, it's only available from
the 'find computer' on the context menu of network neighborhood.
e-mail would be most welcome
        peace ax

help-win95 RAS & network

Post by a » Wed, 29 Nov 1995 04:00:00

help, please.
i thought i knew what i was doing but this has got me stumped.
i've set up a client's win95 peer to peer network using netbios over
ipx/spx on thin ethernet.  except for an occasional inability to
update a shedule+ .scd from a different machine on the network it
works quite well.  i've enabled a machine as an win95 RAS.  my client

Post by Gordon McAndr » Thu, 30 Nov 1995 04:00:00

;>help, please.
;>i thought i knew what i was doing but this has got me stumped.
;>i've set up a client's win95 peer to peer network using netbios over
;>ipx/spx on thin ethernet. except for an occasional inability to update
;>a shedule+ .scd from a different machine on the network it works quite
;>well.  i've enabled a machine as an RAS.  my client can dial in and
;>access all functions of the host but cannot see nor access any other
;>computer on the network.
;>the only symptom other than that is the fact that the host does not
;>initially show up in network neighborhood, it's only available from
;>the 'find computer' on the context menu of network neighborhood.
;>e-mail would be most welcome
;>   peace ax

I believe you have chosen the wrong protocol for your peer-to-peer
connections.  Netbeui is the one that supports the dial-in user and lets
that user see the computers on the LAN.

That is unless you have a Novel Netware server on the LAN then IPX/SPX
would be right.  But you might try adding NetBeui.

The docs say that it can take up to 15 min before a computer will show up
in the Network Neighborhood.

Gordon McAndrew
LAN Manager
Alberta Environmental Centre
Alberta Canada

1. Website: FAQ & Procedures Win95/98/ME/NT4/W2K networking DUN ICS DCC RAS VPN PPTP

"World of Windows Networking" at : "http://www.wown.com"
with mirrors on  "http://www.helmig.com" and on
"http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/J_Helmig"
for 200+ pages with FAQs/procedures on cabling, network setup
of Windows95, Windows 98/98SE , Windows NT4 , Windows 2000 and
trouble-shooting for Ethernet and modem networking
(DUN ICS RAS DCC VPN PPTP).

Johannes

2. Deadline Extended!

3. Website: FAQs & Procedures Win95/98/ME/NT4/W2K networking DUN ICS DCC RAS VPN PPTP

4. New DSN connection - Win Media Player Cannot Play File

5. Mouse doesn't work in safe mode

6. Networking & RAS Help Needed

7. CE and CompuServe or Scripting

8. help, no RAS callback to win95, bug in win95

9. Please help -- Win98 & Win95 workstations can't access NT4.0 server (home network)

10. Win95 & tcp/ip networking HELP! *****

11. PLEASE HELP before I lose my mind: networking Win95 & Linux

12. Win95 & PPP & Dial-Up Networking