Help! Network of PCs used to work.

Help! Network of PCs used to work.

Post by David Rogof » Sun, 25 May 2003 13:51:38



I'm so confused and could really use an idea.  I've got 5 PCs
networked behind a Linksys router. Two are XP-Pro, two are 98SP, and
one is 2000.  Everything has worked fine for months.  Suddenly, a
couple of days ago one XP machine can't see the 2000 machine.  All
other combinations of PCs can see each other.  All the PCs can get to
the internet, through the router.  The XP PC can't access the shared
drives AND it can't even ping it from a command window.

I tried logging into the XP PC as administrator, which has the same
password as administator on the 200 PC.  No go.  I use the 2000 PC to
backup the other PCs, so this is not good.

What happened?

Thanks!!

 David

 
 
 

Help! Network of PCs used to work.

Post by Jim » Sun, 25 May 2003 16:04:01


Apply any MS updates lately on the XP machine?  Btw, if you have that XP
machine setup to automatically DL and install updates, turn it OFF NOW!  You
don't want it doing something w/o your knowledge, or something like this
could really stump you.  Something changed here, things just don't stop
working after months without SOME cause.  Since you didn't indicate any
known activity, it made me suspicous about Windows Update, esp. w/ WinXP
which (I think) does default to this automatic update mode.

Jim


Quote:

> I'm so confused and could really use an idea.  I've got 5 PCs
> networked behind a Linksys router. Two are XP-Pro, two are 98SP, and
> one is 2000.  Everything has worked fine for months.  Suddenly, a
> couple of days ago one XP machine can't see the 2000 machine.  All
> other combinations of PCs can see each other.  All the PCs can get to
> the internet, through the router.  The XP PC can't access the shared
> drives AND it can't even ping it from a command window.

> I tried logging into the XP PC as administrator, which has the same
> password as administator on the 200 PC.  No go.  I use the 2000 PC to
> backup the other PCs, so this is not good.

> What happened?

> Thanks!!

>  David


 
 
 

Help! Network of PCs used to work.

Post by David Rogof » Wed, 28 May 2003 13:28:00





> > I'm so confused and could really use an idea.  I've got 5 PCs
> > networked behind a Linksys router. Two are XP-Pro, two are 98SP, and
> > one is 2000.  Everything has worked fine for months.  Suddenly, a
> > couple of days ago one XP machine can't see the 2000 machine.  All
> > other combinations of PCs can see each other.  All the PCs can get to
> > the internet, through the router.  The XP PC can't access the shared
> > drives AND it can't even ping it from a command window.

> > I tried logging into the XP PC as administrator, which has the same
> > password as administator on the 200 PC.  No go.  I use the 2000 PC to
> > backup the other PCs, so this is not good.

> > What happened?

> Apply any MS updates lately on the XP machine?  Btw, if you have that XP
> machine setup to automatically DL and install updates, turn it OFF NOW!  You
> don't want it doing something w/o your knowledge, or something like this
> could really stump you.  Something changed here, things just don't stop
> working after months without SOME cause.  Since you didn't indicate any
> known activity, it made me suspicous about Windows Update, esp. w/ WinXP
> which (I think) does default to this automatic update mode.

Well, I played with it more this weekend. I'm certain that the problem
is my XP PC.  I put a spare hard drive in it and did a clean XP
install.  With that, the PC can see the 2000 PC, and vice versa.  I
put the original drive back and no go.  Where do I look for this?  I
don't want to do a fresh install on the "real" drive since I have
about 50 programs installed and lots of custom settings.  Is there a
way to install over the XP from the CDROM or replace all the
networking/file sharing?

Thanks,

 David

p.s. - I have Windows update tell me before it installs, but I usually
says yes, unless it's for a part of XP I don't use.

 
 
 

Help! Network of PCs used to work.

Post by zipplle » Thu, 29 May 2003 22:38:20


Seeing as your problem is with the WinXP station you could, if you have
enabled it, I personally don't because of the space it ends up using on your
hard drive, but if you have enabled system restore under system properties
you can go back in time to when you know your system was working fine. I
believe XP loads this option by default so unless you have disabled it this
may be an option for you.





> > > I'm so confused and could really use an idea.  I've got 5 PCs
> > > networked behind a Linksys router. Two are XP-Pro, two are 98SP, and
> > > one is 2000.  Everything has worked fine for months.  Suddenly, a
> > > couple of days ago one XP machine can't see the 2000 machine.  All
> > > other combinations of PCs can see each other.  All the PCs can get to
> > > the internet, through the router.  The XP PC can't access the shared
> > > drives AND it can't even ping it from a command window.

> > > I tried logging into the XP PC as administrator, which has the same
> > > password as administator on the 200 PC.  No go.  I use the 2000 PC to
> > > backup the other PCs, so this is not good.

> > > What happened?

> > Apply any MS updates lately on the XP machine?  Btw, if you have that XP
> > machine setup to automatically DL and install updates, turn it OFF NOW!
You
> > don't want it doing something w/o your knowledge, or something like this
> > could really stump you.  Something changed here, things just don't stop
> > working after months without SOME cause.  Since you didn't indicate any
> > known activity, it made me suspicous about Windows Update, esp. w/ WinXP
> > which (I think) does default to this automatic update mode.

> Well, I played with it more this weekend. I'm certain that the problem
> is my XP PC.  I put a spare hard drive in it and did a clean XP
> install.  With that, the PC can see the 2000 PC, and vice versa.  I
> put the original drive back and no go.  Where do I look for this?  I
> don't want to do a fresh install on the "real" drive since I have
> about 50 programs installed and lots of custom settings.  Is there a
> way to install over the XP from the CDROM or replace all the
> networking/file sharing?

> Thanks,

>  David

> p.s. - I have Windows update tell me before it installs, but I usually
> says yes, unless it's for a part of XP I don't use.

 
 
 

1. Having problems using firewire network with 2 pcs, both running xp pro!HELP!

I got 2 pcs both using widows xp pro, after upgrading to firewire
networking, i was stuck with 10mb connection with old NIC cards, i thought i
would have 400mbps network, how i was wrong when i transfer a file it only
uses 4% of the actual network it is slower than my older network, also whn
using internet on one pc the other pc on the network slows down heavely.
Cs strike now slows down so mcuh it is unplayable.
I appreciate all the help in this matter!

2. Internet Doesn't Work.

3. 2 PC network won't work - please help!

4. OE unstable

5. PC to PC using parallel port; please help

6. Way to limit bandwidth in Home network?

7. HELP : Serial Communication - H/PC (IR port) to Desktop PC using serial cable

8. Modem problems

9. problems using an XPpro pc on an old NT4 network

10. Delay Accesing Network files after PC is Dormant using XP

11. Networking PC using Windows XP to Server running NT Workstation 4.0

12. Files copied to Pocket PC using CeWriteFile is not working

13. how to host files on a PC in the network using Apache?