how to block someone from seeing a folder

how to block someone from seeing a folder

Post by JKL » Thu, 21 Jun 2001 01:40:28

Zip the data and password protect it or there is 3rd party software (even
some freeware) that will do the trick.

I was wondering if there is any way to put security ona  folder. I have
vital
info which must not fall into others hands. personnel numbers of my
employees.
does anyone kjnow how to do this??

thanks joe deluca

---
Follow the suggestions or solutions I make at your own risk! Some of
the suggestions I post are from my own experiences, others maybe
cut and pasted from other peoples posts or web sites I have found
in my travels. You are free to do what you wish with this information.

how to block someone from seeing a folder

Post by Bob Delane » Thu, 21 Jun 2001 02:02:49

   Within Windows Me or any previous version, this cannot be done without
third-party tools. Though files cannot be extracted from a protected .zip
file, its contents can be viewed.
   If this is a serious concern, upgrde to Windows 2000 Professional, where
the NT file system has far superior stability and security features, and
where this level of protection is actually quite easy.
--
Bob Delaney
Microsoft MVP

I was wondering if there is any way to put security ona  folder. I have
vital
info which must not fall into others hands. personnel numbers of my
employees.
does anyone kjnow how to do this??

thanks joe deluca

how to block someone from seeing a folder

Post by Z » Thu, 21 Jun 2001 22:06:36

The files in a protected zip file can be viewed but only by title not the content within...........cheap and easy way.

Z-Microman

>    Within Windows Me or any previous version, this cannot be done without
> third-party tools. Though files cannot be extracted from a protected .zip
> file, its contents can be viewed.
>    If this is a serious concern, upgrde to Windows 2000 Professional, where
> the NT file system has far superior stability and security features, and
> where this level of protection is actually quite easy.
> --
> Bob Delaney
> Microsoft MVP

> I was wondering if there is any way to put security ona  folder. I have
> vital
> info which must not fall into others hands. personnel numbers of my
> employees.
> does anyone kjnow how to do this??

> thanks joe deluca

---
Certified - Virus Free.

how to block someone from seeing a folder

Post by Koldbea » Thu, 21 Jun 2001 22:13:22

See Magic-folder
http://www.pc-magic.com/

--
8O)
Koldbear

I was wondering if there is any way to put security ona  folder. I have vital
info which must not fall into others hands. personnel numbers of my employees.
does anyone kjnow how to do this??

thanks joe deluca

how to block someone from seeing a folder

Post by Z » Thu, 21 Jun 2001 22:24:21

Koldbear is it a 30 day trial deal(Magic folders)?

Z-Microman

See Magic-folder
http://www.pc-magic.com/

--
8O)
Koldbear
Please reply to the Newsgroup ONLY

I was wondering if there is any way to put security ona  folder. I have vital
info which must not fall into others hands. personnel numbers of my employees.
does anyone kjnow how to do this??

thanks joe deluca

---
Certified - Virus Free.

how to block someone from seeing a folder

Post by Koldbea » Thu, 21 Jun 2001 22:40:09

I imagine that it is a 30 days trail version.
I don't use it, so I'm not sure.
I do use their "Remind Me!",
which I like very well.

Magic Folders $29 - US