CD-ROM drive letter after addition of hard drive

CD-ROM drive letter after addition of hard drive

Post by Neill Adshea » Mon, 05 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I recently added a second hard drive to my PC. Previously I had a single
2.5Gig drive partitioned into two drives which appeared as drives C: and D:
with my CD-ROM drive appearing as drive E:

The new hard drive is and 8.4Gig drive and in the new setup (after plenty of
hard work cloning my C: drive and repartitioning my old drive) my new
drive's partitions appear as drives C:, D:, E:, F:, G: with my original
drive now as the second drive with its two logical drives appearing as
drives H: and I:...and, you guessed it, my CD-ROM drive is now drive J:

This is a bit of a problem because I have software installed that,
unfortunately, still expects my CD-ROM drive to appear as drive E:. To save
considerable messing about re-configuring and/or potentially removing and
re-installing the guilty software products I'd like to have the CD-ROM drive
as drive E: again with the hard drives being C:, D:, F:, G:, H:, I: and J:.

I've come across various mentions of using Device Manager to reserve a drive
letter for the CD-ROM drive but when I go to the properties of my CD-ROM
driver and go to the settings tab I am only able to reserve from K: onwards,
which does not help me.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,
Neill

--
**Please remove n-o-s-p-a-m. when replying**

CD-ROM drive letter after addition of hard drive

Post by David B » Mon, 05 Jul 1999 04:00:00

You cannot assign a cd-rom a drive letter that is in use by a hard drive,
hard drives have first priority for drive letter assignment, try re
installing any software that doesn't work.

--
David
<<This poster reserves the right to be incorrect on occasion>>

Quote:> I recently added a second hard drive to my PC. Previously I had a single
> 2.5Gig drive partitioned into two drives which appeared as drives C: and
D:
> with my CD-ROM drive appearing as drive E:

> The new hard drive is and 8.4Gig drive and in the new setup (after plenty
of
> hard work cloning my C: drive and repartitioning my old drive) my new
> drive's partitions appear as drives C:, D:, E:, F:, G: with my original
> drive now as the second drive with its two logical drives appearing as
> drives H: and I:...and, you guessed it, my CD-ROM drive is now drive J:

> This is a bit of a problem because I have software installed that,
> unfortunately, still expects my CD-ROM drive to appear as drive E:. To
save
> considerable messing about re-configuring and/or potentially removing and
> re-installing the guilty software products I'd like to have the CD-ROM
drive
> as drive E: again with the hard drives being C:, D:, F:, G:, H:, I: and
J:.

> I've come across various mentions of using Device Manager to reserve a
drive
> letter for the CD-ROM drive but when I go to the properties of my CD-ROM
> driver and go to the settings tab I am only able to reserve from K:
onwards,
> which does not help me.

> Can anyone help?

> Thanks in advance,
> Neill

> --
> **Please remove n-o-s-p-a-m. when replying**

CD-ROM drive letter after addition of hard drive

Post by Chuck 55 » Mon, 05 Jul 1999 04:00:00

What I have done is go through the registry to change the software that's
looking for the CD-ROM atold drive letter.  Bring up the registry and search on
"E:" or even "E:\".  On each hit, you'll have look and decide if the reference
actually is to the CD-ROM.  If so, double-click on the key and change the "E"
to your new drive letter.

Be very careful, though.  The regiistry is nothing to take lightly!

Post by Donald Phillips » Tue, 06 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> I recently added a second hard drive to my PC. Previously I had a single
> 2.5Gig drive partitioned into two drives which appeared as drives C: and D:
> with my CD-ROM drive appearing as drive E:
> . . .
> This is a bit of a problem because I have software installed that,
> unfortunately, still expects my CD-ROM drive to appear as drive E:. To save
> considerable messing about re-configuring and/or potentially removing and
> re-installing the guilty software products I'd like to have the CD-ROM drive
> as drive E: again with the hard drives being C:, D:, F:, G:, H:, I: and J:.

As previously posted, Windows will not allow you to give naming a
CD drive higher priority than its automatic naming of hard drives.

The simplest solution is to name your CD-ROM Z:\
This would allow for the addition of numerous network or other
drives, and probably last as long as the Windows OS.

I do not actually use Z:\ but picked O:\ some years ago.
I expect this will last as long as the Windows OS because
increased CPU speed allows us to search large hard drives
faster, and thus partition fewer in total number.  (There were
9 on my old Pentium I, 3 compressed, thus using drive letters
up to N:\, but only 3 on the Pentium II and a Zip drive,
requiring C,D,E,F.  But the CD remains O:\ and leaves plenty
more letters in case needed.)
--
|  Donald Phillipson, 4180 Boundary Road, Carlsbad Springs,  |
|        Ontario, Canada, K0A 1K0, tel. 613 822 0734         |

CD-ROM drive letter after addition of hard drive

Post by Neill Adshea » Thu, 08 Jul 1999 04:00:00

A big thank you to all who posted replies.

--
**Please remove n-o-s-p-a-m. when replying**

CD-ROM drive letter after addition of hard drive

Post by Stephan » Thu, 08 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Neil,

I have a similar problem, but I can't get a hold of the original thread.
Do you still have thesolutions posted to you ?

--
========Stephane Hebert========
Remove mypants. to reply via E-mail

Quote:> A big thank you to all who posted replies.

> --
> **Please remove n-o-s-p-a-m. when replying**

1. Assigned Drive Letters for CD-ROM and CD-R/RW Drives Won't Stick

Using XP Home.
Have 2 physical hard drives.
Disk 0 contains 2 partitions : C: (OS and Programs) and D: (Data)
Disk 1 contains 3 partitions: E: (Page File), F: (Backups), G:(Images) and
about 14GB of free space.
Several months ago, using the instructions in KBA 307844, I assigned drive
letter R: to my CD-ROM and drive letter W: to my CD-R/RW.  Everything went
OK and the drive letter designations remained as assigned until this morning
when I noticed the CD-ROM was assigned drive letter I (capital i) and the
CD-R/RW was assigned drive letter H: I don't know exactly when the drive
letters changed, it could have been this morning or it could have been
several days to a week or so ago.
I changed the drive letter assignments back to R: and W: respectively using
the procedure outlined in KBA  307844, i.e. Control Panel/Admin
Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management, right click on drive, click
"Change
Drive Letter and Paths", click "Change" (the "Assign the following drive
letter" button was already selected), clicked the appropriate drive letter I
wanted to assign to the drive, clicked "OK", clicked " YES".
The changes were made OK and the changes showed correctly on Explorer until
I shut down and restart or reboot; then the drive letters revert back to I
for the CD-ROM drive and to H: for the CD-R/RW drive.  I tried re-assigning
the drive letters several times with same result - the assigned drive
letters won't stick thru a restart/reboot.

Some additional info - may/may not be relevant:
As usual, I've been installing/uninstalling software over the past week or
so - most I've
been trying various popup stoppers and ad blockers.  Since I don't know
exactly when the drive letter assignment problem started, I can't really
relate it to the installation, running or removal of any of these programs.
All of these programs have been removed.
Another thing I noticed (don't know if this is unusual or not) but neither
the CR-ROM drive nor the CR-R/RW drive will show when "Disk Management" is
clicked unless there is a CD in the drive.
I also ran TweakUI for XP/My Computer/Drives  and unchecked all but C, D, E,
F, G, R, and W thinking this might prevent assigning drive letters I and H.
After rebooting, neither the CD-ROM nor the CD-R/RW drive was shown when I
opened Explorer.  After putting CDs in the drives, they showed as I and H
as before.
So, I give up.
It's not a huge deal, but I'd like to be able to "permanently" reassign the
CD-ROM and CD-R/RW drive letters (i.e. have them stick after a
restart/reboot).
Anyone have some ideas/suggestions/help?
Thanks

2. error messages on startup

3. CD-ROM drive..changing drive letter

4. taskbar programs

5. Change Drive Letter for CD-ROM drive

6. transparent desktop

7. CD ROM CD-ROM DRIVE LETTER

8. Synchronize offline through a proxy server

9. Windows thinks CD-ROM drive is hard drive

10. cd-rom drive and hard drive both share 0 0 location on bus after widows updat

11. Help - NT system continually checks CD-ROM drive and hard drive

12. CD-ROM and DVD-ROM drives do not recognize CD-ROMs and DVD-Roms

13. loss of drive letters for DVD and CD ROM Drives