I HATE the Win95 'Open File' Dialog Box !!!

I HATE the Win95 'Open File' Dialog Box !!!

Post by Uday Men » Sat, 19 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I see a lot of people going gaga over the Windows 95 interface ... but
I find some of the features a whole lot messier than before:

For Instance:

- When you go to open a file under any win95 application ... it brings
up this new dialog box that even displays different icons for
different files in the directory based on their extensions etc. This
really slows the display down. If you click on the list box to change
the drive ... it again displays a fancy icon-based display of all the
drives ... this again slows it down. I wish there was a list box just
for drives ... and another window for files in that drive ... just
like in win31.

While I am talking about win95 quirks ... let me ask you this:

If I have an application that is maximized and I cannot minimize it
(example a setup program for an application that is currently
displaying a dialog box for you to enter some information in, so you
cannot click on minimize unless you get rid of this dialog box) ...
how can I get back to my desktop to open another folder/application.

This has happened to me a lot ... I run setup for a new application I
am trying to install ... it asks me what drive ... I then would like
to go and check my drives ... to be sure what I enter is ok etc.

The only way I have found is to click on START and then access the
other folder ... this is problem for me because I don't have every
desktop folder/application in my START menu.

Under Windows 95 ... I could do ALT-TAB and go back to Program Manager
Desktop.

Please help.

An e-mail would also be appreciated.

MAX

I HATE the Win95 'Open File' Dialog Box !!!

Post by T.D. Shad » Sat, 19 Aug 1995 04:00:00

[snip]

Quote:>I wish there was a list box
[snip]
> ... just like in win31.
>Under Windows 95 ... I could do ALT-TAB and go back to Program Manager
>Desktop.

It has started. The Dogma will overtake this group.

"Waaah, I don't WANT to change... why doesn't it look like my OLD
windows...waaaa!"

I HATE the Win95 'Open File' Dialog Box !!!

Post by Preston Wern » Sat, 19 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>The only way I have found is to click on START and then access the
>other folder ... this is problem for me because I don't have every
>desktop folder/application in my START menu.

>Under Windows 95 ... I could do ALT-TAB and go back to Program Manager
>Desktop.

Why not do a right click on the START button and start Explorer to
check your drives?

Preston

I HATE the Win95 'Open File' Dialog Box !!!

Post by Kenj » Mon, 21 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>[snip]
>>I wish there was a list box
>[snip]
>> ... just like in win31.
>>Under Windows 95 ... I could do ALT-TAB and go back to Program Manager
>>Desktop.

I don't get it.  The new open/save box is MUCH better.  If I want it
under a NEW folder, I can creat it on the spot.  It's easy and
convenience.  The only thing is it takes a bit longer to load the
open/save box.

Kenji