NS Plug - ins Trouble comming....

Post by John Kenn » Tue, 05 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Hey folks,

As a general rule I prefer using Microsoft apps, they just seem to work
best for me. When it comes to a Web browser I've found Netscape better
then MSIE. But this Plug-In thing has started me thinking and worrying
about what's to come. In the last few weeks we've been told that
plug-ins will let us do almost anything. The next evolution of the Web.
But how many are we going to need?

One to read Acrobat files.

One to view QuickTime movies.

One for VRML 3-D viewing.

Director for presentations.

Shockwave on top of Director.

RealAudio to hear audio streams.

Formula One Net to view spreadsheets.

God only knows what is next. Am I the only one who sees a pattern here?
This is going to quickly get out of control. Each site is going to have
its own way of displaying information. And we'll all have to have a hard
drive full of Plug-ins just to view these sites.

Am I missing something?

Regards,

John

NS Plug - ins Trouble comming....

Post by lee s. bumgarn » Thu, 07 Dec 1995 04:00:00

> Hey folks,

> As a general rule I prefer using Microsoft apps, they just seem to work
> best for me. When it comes to a Web browser I've found Netscape better
> then MSIE. But this Plug-In thing has started me thinking and worrying
> about what's to come. In the last few weeks we've been told that
> plug-ins will let us do almost anything. The next evolution of the Web.
> But how many are we going to need?

<snip>

Quote:> Am I missing something?

Most likely, in the near future, Netscape will be bundled with all the
goodies when you buy it. But for those downloading, I don't know.

-l

---
-----> Undertoad (under construction) http://falcon.jmu.edu/~bumgarls/ <--------
REALITY.SYS corrupted. Reboot universe (Y/N/Q)? | "Usenet is Frosty The Snowman
committing suicide with a flame thrower."-- Kibo |Somebody visited a.r.k and all
I got was this lousy .sig | M$'s Blackbird is EVIL, do not support it! | ##30##

NS Plug - ins Trouble comming....

Post by Dave Garaf » Fri, 08 Dec 1995 04:00:00

<SNIP>

Quote:> ...When it comes to a Web browser I've found Netscape better
> then MSIE. But this Plug-In thing has started me thinking and worrying
> about what's to come. In the last few weeks we've been told that
> plug-ins will let us do almost anything. The next evolution of the Web.
> But how many are we going to need?

> One to read Acrobat files.
> One to view QuickTime movies.
> One for VRML 3-D viewing.
> Director for presentations.
> Shockwave on top of Director.
> RealAudio to hear audio streams.
> Formula One Net to view spreadsheets.

Okay... I may be missing something here but.... how are you viewing this
data today?? my best guess is one of two...

A] You have helper apps to process the data
B] You simply ignore the data

Well if its "B", then whats the problem? continue to ignore it, and if its
"A", trash the 'external' helper app and replace it with an 'internal'
Netscape Plug-In.

Quote:> God only knows what is next. Am I the only one who sees a pattern here?
> This is going to quickly get out of control.

Out of control? the way I see it, this will allow the *content providers*
to use whatever 'format' they like best - Make it 'easy' for *them* and
they will offer more content or on the inverse make it tough for them and
they might choose to offer less - it's like me telling you to do this
'wordprocessing' *BUT* you can use 'insert you favorite WP' *instead* you
*MUST* use WordStar 2000 (sorry in advance to all you WordStar 2000 fans
=-). You'd have to do it but... your gonna drag your feet cause its not
what you usually work with.

Quote:> Each site is going to have its own way of displaying information.
> And we'll all have to have a hard
> drive full of Plug-ins just to view these sites.

Well since I just got a 1GIG HD for ~ $300.00 all I can say is - DEVELOP
THOSE PLUG-IN'S!!! I'VE GOT THE SPACE!!! =-) (and do the world a favor,
make em cross platform) Plug-ins do *NOT* take up RAM when they are *NOT*
in use!, so I could care less how many plug-in's I have - In fact, the
more I have the happier I I'll be - Nothing's nicer than a HD packed with
a ton of software. =-)

Dave,
http://www.ski.mskcc.org/browserwatch/ BrowserWatch
Now the home of Plug-In Plaza!

P.S. Check out the latest story on BrowserWatch - My site was just hit
     by the 1st beta of Netscape 2.0 GOLD! (from a computer inside the
     netscape domain) if the past is any indication we may see a beta
     this weekend or next...

NS Plug - ins Trouble comming....

Post by Larry W. Vird » Wed, 13 Dec 1995 04:00:00

As long as the plug-ins are free, I have no problem with this.  But
if folk start charging for either the plug-ins, or for use of the plug-ins,
then the internet's price of usage just jumped a quantum leap.
--

:s <URL:http://www.teraform.com/%7Elvirden/> <*>
:s Unless explicitly stated to the contrary, nothing in this posting should

NS Plug - ins Trouble comming....

Post by Dave Garaf » Wed, 13 Dec 1995 04:00:00

> As long as the plug-ins are free, I have no problem with this.  But
> if folk start charging for either the plug-ins, or for use of the plug-ins,
> then the internet's price of usage just jumped a quantum leap.

Well nope.. ( I hope not anyway)

I just spoke to some people at Corel (the Corel Draw people) they have
just released a CMX Plug-In for Windows95 and well I guess thats nice and
all (I hear the CMX format can do some pretty neat things) they tell me
they don't have any plans on releasing a Mac or Unix plug-in and I *know*
they won't release any source for 3rd party developers to write one (Corel
doesn't share their graphic format - at least this was the case last time
I checked) anyway what *BIG* web site is gonna bother using CMX graphics
knowing that ONLY the Windows95 users can view them??? - I guess only a
company thats interested in selling to *ONLY* the Win95 population (but
thats not what the beauty of the internet is - if you wan to do that run a
site on the MS-Network) because you gotta know any site that looking to
have a LARGE percentage of the web population see them in the 'best light'
wont (.. use CMX graphics).

Same holds true for 'pay - for' Plug-Ins (not that I've heard of any yet).
Do you think any *large* site is going to *REQUIRE* its visitors to PAY
for plug-ins just to look at what they have to offer? Okay they *may* have
'neat things' for people who did buy a 'pay for' plug-in but I'd hate to
think I couldn't even view someones site with out it.

I could be wrong but I sure hope not... many professional sites have gone
out of their way to offer 'the right view' to the person doing the viewing
(ie: click here for graphics - here for text etc. etc.) and I sure hope
they will continue to do that ... well at least until I get a T1 run to
*MY* home! ;-)

In short - I get the feeling most plug-ins will be free and the money will
be made 'building' the content that the plug-in will show.. Shockwave =
Free, Director = $$$ : RealAudio Player = Free, RA Server = $$$ : etc,
etc, etc.

But like most things only time will tell...

Post by James Sh » Thu, 14 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>> As long as the plug-ins are free, I have no problem with this.  But
>> if folk start charging for either the plug-ins, or for use of the plug-ins,
>> then the internet's price of usage just jumped a quantum leap.
>Well nope.. ( I hope not anyway)
>I just spoke to some people at Corel (the Corel Draw people) they have
>just released a CMX Plug-In for Windows95 and well I guess thats nice and
>all (I hear the CMX format can do some pretty neat things) they tell me
>they don't have any plans on releasing a Mac or Unix plug-in and I *know*

[snip]

Well, if you look at Corel, that only have have software for the PC, no Mac
stuff and they seem to be doing OK. That may be their way of justifying it,
since nobody using a MAc has any use of Corel's file formats.

_____________________________
**** "TaKe a PieCe oF BeauTY & MuLTiPLY iT LiKe FiSHeS" ==> SGT ****

NS Plug - ins Trouble comming....

Post by the ideal co » Thu, 14 Dec 1995 04:00:00

> Same holds true for 'pay - for' Plug-Ins (not that I've heard of any yet).
> Do you think any *large* site is going to *REQUIRE* its visitors to PAY
> for plug-ins just to look at what they have to offer?

A lot of sites are unreadable without Netscape, and most people have to
pay for that.

Quote:> I could be wrong but I sure hope not... many professional sites have gone
> out of their way to offer 'the right view' to the person doing the viewing
> (ie: click here for graphics - here for text etc. etc.)

That's not the right thing to do.  The right thing to do is write pages
which work in both graphical AND text browsers.

mathew
--
Checking whether HTML is correct by looking at it with a browser is like checking whether C code is correct by looking at it with a text editor.
                      http://www.domino.org/~meta/

1. Plug-ins + NS 3.0, Shockwave

Recently I decided to examine various plug-ins for NS. First I loaded
RealAudio, but was disappointed with its choppy sound on my 486-66
with 14.4 modem. I decided to try Shockwave and ran into several
problems.
1. First, does anyone know of a newsgroup dedicated just to plug-ins?
2. When you examine the Options menu and select helpers, what file are
you actually editing? While adding application/x-director to the list,
I made a typing error that I didn't notice until I tried to run
Shockwave. Now I cannot get rid of that entry in the Helper sub-menu.
3. I could not get Shockwave to run. I always got an error that told
me no x-director application existed. I take it that the actual helper
.exe file - like raplayer.exe for RealAudio - is incorrect or that I
should be running through my browser. The latter is greyed out so I
guess its the former. What is the .exe file that runs Shockwave?

Just a general comment. The instructions(?) that are given to load
these programs are terrible. You'd think that the companies would
spend more time assuring that their products could be run easily.
Otherwise, no-one will try them.
Chuck Pinnegar

2. windows xp pro: shutdown

3. importing NS 3.01 mail files to NS com 4.01a ???????

4. Onboard graphics

5. Sharing data between custom Plug-ins

6. Norton Utilties 3 ?

7. WBT w/o Plug-ins

8. Problems with INBOX in Outlook Express 6

9. Problem with Waves Demo Plug-Ins

10. Multimedia Internet Plug Ins -- What are the most popular?

11. Development of plug-ins?

12. Speech Recognition Plug-ins

13. Visualisation plug ins