Post by Sam Kingt » Sat, 22 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Something that is getting me *y annoyed is the way Windows handles
(or rather, doesn't handle) background colours. The Glasgow University
SRC pages, which I am working on at the moment
(<URL:http://www.veryComputer.com/;), used to use a flat background colour
using <body bgcolor="#e6e6fb">. Unfortunately, Windows displayed that
colour dithered, as if it could only use the 16-colour palette (this was
in 256 colour mode). X Windows displayed it as the proper colour, i.e. a
light purple, so it can be done.

There are some transparent gifs on that page. The transparent part of
the graphic is rendered using the correct colour - no dithering.

Using a small, single-colour jpeg as the background solves the problem
(using a gif doesn't work - spurious whitish lines appeared around each
individual gif). I suspect the problem is down to Windows - i.e. you
can't set the colour of a window to anything other than one of the 16
colour palette entries, or else it will dither. Am I correct? And is
there any other alternative to this bodge using a background jpeg?

Sam
--
Disclaimer: This is my opinion only, and only by coincidence.
Home page: http://www.veryComputer.com/:8000/~sam/

Post by David Efflan » Sun, 23 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>Something that is getting me *y annoyed is the way Windows handles
>(or rather, doesn't handle) background colours. The Glasgow University
>SRC pages, which I am working on at the moment
>(<URL:http://www.veryComputer.com/;), used to use a flat background colour
>using <body bgcolor="#e6e6fb">. Unfortunately, Windows displayed that
>colour dithered, as if it could only use the 16-colour palette (this was
>in 256 colour mode). X Windows displayed it as the proper colour, i.e. a
>light purple, so it can be done.

Glad you mentioned this.  I had forgotten that Windows itself only
gives you 20 colors when you have it set to 256 color mode.  It is up
to the graphics program to handle the other 236 colors.  And someone
mentioned that Mosaic has around 500 colors so some of them may not
even fall in that range.

I had set up some alternate pages with tables and colors that I
thought looked pretty good until I read your note and found I was set
for 64K colors.  When I switched to 256 they looked awful (dithered).
So I turned them off.  Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

http://www.veryComputer.com/~efflandt/

Post by Dedc » Mon, 24 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>Something that is getting me *y annoyed is the way Windows handles
>(or rather, doesn't handle) background colours. The Glasgow University
>SRC pages, which I am working on at the moment
>(<URL:http://www.veryComputer.com/;), used to use a flat background colour
>using <body bgcolor="#e6e6fb">. Unfortunately, Windows displayed that
>colour dithered, as if it could only use the 16-colour palette (this was
>in 256 colour mode). X Windows displayed it as the proper colour, i.e. a
>light purple, so it can be done.
>There are some transparent gifs on that page. The transparent part of
>the graphic is rendered using the correct colour - no dithering.
>Using a small, single-colour jpeg as the background solves the problem
>(using a gif doesn't work - spurious whitish lines appeared around each
>individual gif). I suspect the problem is down to Windows - i.e. you
>can't set the colour of a window to anything other than one of the 16
>colour palette entries, or else it will dither. Am I correct? And is
>there any other alternative to this bodge using a background jpeg?
>Sam
>--
>Disclaimer: This is my opinion only, and only by coincidence.
>Home page: http://www.veryComputer.com/:8000/~sam/
>Home page Editor of WebSoc - http://www.veryComputer.com/
>snail://UK/G12.8RG/Glasgow/12-1.Southpark.Terrace/Sam.Kington

And even Windows 95 does the same thing, I use a tiny single color gif
for backgrounds due to this problem.
And also got so pissed I couldn't even read some pages I went to 64K
colors, it's slower now but graphics and backgrounds look great.

Jim
http://www.*com.net/~jimas/

1. <><><> SCALA MM200 <><><>

Could anybody that uses Scala MM200, please get in touch to swap info and
scripts, or could anybody point me in the right
direction of where I can look for some demo scripts etc...

Scala MM200 is just excellent, i'am using MM200 to create cd-front menus
for conferences, which I then burn onto cd-rom with
my Yamaha CDR400c firmware 1.d

All the best - hope to hear from you soon...

- Steve -

2. Test

3. >>> Very weird problem in Win95b!!<<<<<<<

4. Snap-in Fails to Initialize

5. <<>> COMPUTER SOFTWARE / HARDWARE <<>>

6. Windows XP incorrectly saves my password for my internet connection

7. >><>Services<><<

8. Win 95 + Old ROM + Large Hard Disk?

9. <><> 9,900 PROGRAMS ON CD-ROMS <><>

11. <<>> COMPUTER SOFTWARE / HARDWARE <<>>

12. >>> GIVE COMMERCIAL SOFTWARES against source code <<<<