Data entry w/ canned comments

Post by John Hit » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 04:06:18

Greetings,

I originally posted this on the pocketPC group but suspect this may be a
better forum as a tablet may better suit my needs...

I am trying to decide what platform and software to use for a business
application. I am a real estate inspector and former software developer.
However I  have no experience with pocket PCs and PDAs and thus seek
your opinions.

Here is a brief example of how I wish to use a handheld computer. When
inspecting a house there are several categories of items inspected such
as plumbing, electrical, A/C, wall, floors, etc. When making manual
notes I put down the category, the room I am looking at, and then a
comment. A vast majority of the comments can be pulled from a canned
list of common phrases. There is a different group of phrases for each
category.A couple example entries might be:
electrical - master bath - No GFCI outlets.
windows- master bedroom -  themal pane window hazed, seal apparently
lost.
electrical - hallway - ungrounded outlets.

After I collect all of these notes I sort them into the categories on
the state approved form which I have on a laptop. I would like to load
them into the laptop from a pocket PC and then edit and extend the
comments and add job specific infor such as date and address. I would
also like to add an addendum where comments remain sorted by room.  I
have considered using Tcl/Tk as I have quite a bit of experience with it
but don't know how well it works on PPCs. Perhaps there is a better
solution.

Hope my example makes sense. Your thoughts and comments would be
appreciated.

Best regards,

John Hite

Data entry w/ canned comments

Post by terr » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 04:44:03

Hi, John,

Is there any reason you don't want to use a Tablet PC?  You could pretty
much get rid of the middle step of converting from PDA to a laptop since you
could use the Tablet PC directly.

Tablet PCs use a superset of Windows XP Pro, so your questions about PDAs
are probably better answered in the Palm or Pocket PC groups since the
operating system is different that it is with Tablet PCs.

A Tablet PC is either a 10.4" or a 12" screen, so it's not exactly a
pocket-type device.

If you'd like to check out most models in one place, check
http://thetabletpc.net for specs on each, plus a comparison chart.
--
terri

Quote:> Greetings,

> I originally posted this on the pocketPC group but suspect this may be a
> better forum as a tablet may better suit my needs...

> I am trying to decide what platform and software to use for a business
> application. I am a real estate inspector and former software developer.
> However I  have no experience with pocket PCs and PDAs and thus seek
> your opinions.

> Here is a brief example of how I wish to use a handheld computer. When
> inspecting a house there are several categories of items inspected such
> as plumbing, electrical, A/C, wall, floors, etc. When making manual
> notes I put down the category, the room I am looking at, and then a
> comment. A vast majority of the comments can be pulled from a canned
> list of common phrases. There is a different group of phrases for each
> category.A couple example entries might be:
> electrical - master bath - No GFCI outlets.
> windows- master bedroom -  themal pane window hazed, seal apparently
> lost.
> electrical - hallway - ungrounded outlets.

> After I collect all of these notes I sort them into the categories on
> the state approved form which I have on a laptop. I would like to load
> them into the laptop from a pocket PC and then edit and extend the
> comments and add job specific infor such as date and address. I would
> also like to add an addendum where comments remain sorted by room.  I
> have considered using Tcl/Tk as I have quite a bit of experience with it
> but don't know how well it works on PPCs. Perhaps there is a better
> solution.

> Hope my example makes sense. Your thoughts and comments would be
> appreciated.

> Best regards,

> John Hite

Data entry w/ canned comments

Post by Bob Kuivane » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 04:50:31

Quote:> Greetings,
Snip
> After I collect all of these notes I sort them into the categories on
> the state approved form which I have on a laptop.

Snip

John,
With a Tablet PC you could load the form on it and fill it out on the spot.
Save you a lot of work converting info.  Most anything you do on a laptop
you can do on a tablet, but the advantage of the TPC is you can carry it
with you as you would a paper notebook.
Cheers

Data entry w/ canned comments

Post by Erich Koc » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 05:11:59

Look for a poster "appraiser" in the HP/Compaq area in:
http://www.tabletpcbuzz.com/forum/

I believe this person and a couple of others are Real Estate Appraisers
and use the Compaq TC-1000.  YOu might try contact them and get their
experiences with Tablet PC.

Data entry w/ canned comments

Post by John Hit » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 07:36:10

Thanks for posting Terri.

Hate to admit it but didn't know that there was a difference between a
tablet and a notebook until earlier today. I don't watch TV and
otherwise aven't been keeping up either. A pocket size would be nice in
tight quarters like a crawl space but I think a dictaphone would
actually be better there. So a tablet would be just fine if they have a
stylus or touch screen type input.

jh

> Hi, John,

> Is there any reason you don't want to use a Tablet PC?  You could pretty
> much get rid of the middle step of converting from PDA to a laptop since you
> could use the Tablet PC directly.

> Tablet PCs use a superset of Windows XP Pro, so your questions about PDAs
> are probably better answered in the Palm or Pocket PC groups since the
> operating system is different that it is with Tablet PCs.

> A Tablet PC is either a 10.4" or a 12" screen, so it's not exactly a
> pocket-type device.

> If you'd like to check out most models in one place, check
> http://thetabletpc.net for specs on each, plus a comparison chart.
> --
> terri

> > Greetings,

> > I originally posted this on the pocketPC group but suspect this may be a
> > better forum as a tablet may better suit my needs...

> > I am trying to decide what platform and software to use for a business
> > application. I am a real estate inspector and former software developer.
> > However I  have no experience with pocket PCs and PDAs and thus seek
> > your opinions.

> > Here is a brief example of how I wish to use a handheld computer. When
> > inspecting a house there are several categories of items inspected such
> > as plumbing, electrical, A/C, wall, floors, etc. When making manual
> > notes I put down the category, the room I am looking at, and then a
> > comment. A vast majority of the comments can be pulled from a canned
> > list of common phrases. There is a different group of phrases for each
> > category.A couple example entries might be:
> > electrical - master bath - No GFCI outlets.
> > windows- master bedroom -  themal pane window hazed, seal apparently
> > lost.
> > electrical - hallway - ungrounded outlets.

> > After I collect all of these notes I sort them into the categories on
> > the state approved form which I have on a laptop. I would like to load
> > them into the laptop from a pocket PC and then edit and extend the
> > comments and add job specific infor such as date and address. I would
> > also like to add an addendum where comments remain sorted by room.  I
> > have considered using Tcl/Tk as I have quite a bit of experience with it
> > but don't know how well it works on PPCs. Perhaps there is a better
> > solution.

> > Hope my example makes sense. Your thoughts and comments would be
> > appreciated.

> > Best regards,

> > John Hite

Data entry w/ canned comments

Post by John Hit » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 07:39:30

Thanks Bob.

Actually I would still want to enter it in another format elsewise I
would have to do a lot of scrolling back and forth on the form. I guess
I could actually enter it in Excel and let it expand TLAs via
auto-correct, but Tcl/Tk might be a little nicer with scrollable lists.

Can you suggest an input language or app?

Thanx,

jh

> > Greetings,
> Snip
> > After I collect all of these notes I sort them into the categories on
> > the state approved form which I have on a laptop.
> Snip

> John,
> With a Tablet PC you could load the form on it and fill it out on the spot.
> Save you a lot of work converting info.  Most anything you do on a laptop
> you can do on a tablet, but the advantage of the TPC is you can carry it
> with you as you would a paper notebook.
> Cheers

Data entry w/ canned comments

Post by John Hit » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 07:42:13

Thanks Erich,

Will give them a shout and report back in this thread.

jh

> Look for a poster "appraiser" in the HP/Compaq area in:
> http://www.tabletpcbuzz.com/forum/

> I believe this person and a couple of others are Real Estate Appraisers
> and use the Compaq TC-1000.  YOu might try contact them and get their
> experiences with Tablet PC.

Data entry w/ canned comments

Post by E. Co » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 08:14:24

Quote:> Can you suggest an input language or app?

I can't, but it sounds like a fairly easy program to write and you did say
you were a former software developer.  You get your canned answers from a
table in a database then you put the house information into a different
table and if you created any new uncanned answers (like "door chewed up by
a pack of rabid dogs") it will ask you if you would like to add them to the
table with the canned answers.

Something like that.

E. Cox.

Data entry w/ canned comments

Post by terr » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 08:45:44

Hi, John.

I think you'd be happy with a Tablet PC.  You can input using a pen made for
the specific Tablet PCs, or use speech.  You can also input using the
character recognizer which recognizes Pocket PC-type input. One model
(PaceBook) will allow both touch and pen input when released.

The new models will start showing up later this month, so my recommendation
right now is to wait for the Centrino models.  They'll give you faster
speeds, better wireless and much-improved battery life.

I've been able to try several different models of the first generation
Tablet PCs and there are good things to say about each of them.
--
terri

> [...]

> > > category.A couple example entries might be:
> > > electrical - master bath - No GFCI outlets.
> > > windows- master bedroom -  themal pane window hazed, seal apparently
> > > lost.
> > > electrical - hallway - ungrounded outlets.

> > > After I collect all of these notes I sort them into the categories on
> > > the state approved form which I have on a laptop. I would like to load
> > > them into the laptop from a pocket PC and then edit and extend the
> > > comments and add job specific infor such as date and address. I would
> > > also like to add an addendum where comments remain sorted by room.  I
> > > have considered using Tcl/Tk as I have quite a bit of experience with
it
> > > but don't know how well it works on PPCs. Perhaps there is a better
> > > solution.

> > > Hope my example makes sense. Your thoughts and comments would be

Post by John Hit » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 11:02:49

So now that you folks have me hooked on a tablet can you recommend one
of the cheaper ones? I just about fell out of my chair when I saw the
$2300 price tag for a TC-1000.

jh

> Greetings,

> I originally posted this on the pocketPC group but suspect this may be a
> better forum as a tablet may better suit my needs...

> I am trying to decide what platform and software to use for a business
> application. I am a real estate inspector and former software developer.
> However I  have no experience with pocket PCs and PDAs and thus seek
> your opinions.

> Here is a brief example of how I wish to use a handheld computer. When
> inspecting a house there are several categories of items inspected such
> as plumbing, electrical, A/C, wall, floors, etc. When making manual
> notes I put down the category, the room I am looking at, and then a
> comment. A vast majority of the comments can be pulled from a canned
> list of common phrases. There is a different group of phrases for each
> category.A couple example entries might be:
> electrical - master bath - No GFCI outlets.
> windows- master bedroom -  themal pane window hazed, seal apparently
> lost.
> electrical - hallway - ungrounded outlets.

> After I collect all of these notes I sort them into the categories on
> the state approved form which I have on a laptop. I would like to load
> them into the laptop from a pocket PC and then edit and extend the
> comments and add job specific infor such as date and address. I would
> also like to add an addendum where comments remain sorted by room.  I
> have considered using Tcl/Tk as I have quite a bit of experience with it
> but don't know how well it works on PPCs. Perhaps there is a better
> solution.

> Hope my example makes sense. Your thoughts and comments would be
> appreciated.

> Best regards,

> John Hite

Data entry w/ canned comments

Post by Chris H » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 11:45:44

John, you can see most of the models and check their prices to get a general
feel of the market here:
http://www.zdnet.com/products/stories/reviews/0,4161,2896965,00.html
--
Chris H.
Microsoft MVP/Tablet PC

> So now that you folks have me hooked on a tablet can you recommend one
> of the cheaper ones? I just about fell out of my chair when I saw the
> $2300 price tag for a TC-1000.

> jh

> > Greetings,

> > I originally posted this on the pocketPC group but suspect this may be a
> > better forum as a tablet may better suit my needs...

> > I am trying to decide what platform and software to use for a business
> > application. I am a real estate inspector and former software developer.
> > However I  have no experience with pocket PCs and PDAs and thus seek
> > your opinions.

> > Here is a brief example of how I wish to use a handheld computer. When
> > inspecting a house there are several categories of items inspected such
> > as plumbing, electrical, A/C, wall, floors, etc. When making manual
> > notes I put down the category, the room I am looking at, and then a
> > comment. A vast majority of the comments can be pulled from a canned
> > list of common phrases. There is a different group of phrases for each
> > category.A couple example entries might be:
> > electrical - master bath - No GFCI outlets.
> > windows- master bedroom -  themal pane window hazed, seal apparently
> > lost.
> > electrical - hallway - ungrounded outlets.

> > After I collect all of these notes I sort them into the categories on
> > the state approved form which I have on a laptop. I would like to load
> > them into the laptop from a pocket PC and then edit and extend the
> > comments and add job specific infor such as date and address. I would
> > also like to add an addendum where comments remain sorted by room.  I
> > have considered using Tcl/Tk as I have quite a bit of experience with it
> > but don't know how well it works on PPCs. Perhaps there is a better
> > solution.

> > Hope my example makes sense. Your thoughts and comments would be
> > appreciated.

> > Best regards,

> > John Hite

Data entry w/ canned comments

Post by John Hit » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 11:59:24

Thanx Chris.

jh

> John, you can see most of the models and check their prices to get a general
> feel of the market here:
> http://www.zdnet.com/products/stories/reviews/0,4161,2896965,00.html
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert

> > So now that you folks have me hooked on a tablet can you recommend one
> > of the cheaper ones? I just about fell out of my chair when I saw the
> > $2300 price tag for a TC-1000.

> > jh

> > > Greetings,

> > > I originally posted this on the pocketPC group but suspect this may be a
> > > better forum as a tablet may better suit my needs...

> > > I am trying to decide what platform and software to use for a business
> > > application. I am a real estate inspector and former software developer.
> > > However I  have no experience with pocket PCs and PDAs and thus seek
> > > your opinions.

> > > Here is a brief example of how I wish to use a handheld computer. When
> > > inspecting a house there are several categories of items inspected such
> > > as plumbing, electrical, A/C, wall, floors, etc. When making manual
> > > notes I put down the category, the room I am looking at, and then a
> > > comment. A vast majority of the comments can be pulled from a canned
> > > list of common phrases. There is a different group of phrases for each
> > > category.A couple example entries might be:
> > > electrical - master bath - No GFCI outlets.
> > > windows- master bedroom -  themal pane window hazed, seal apparently
> > > lost.
> > > electrical - hallway - ungrounded outlets.

> > > After I collect all of these notes I sort them into the categories on
> > > the state approved form which I have on a laptop. I would like to load
> > > them into the laptop from a pocket PC and then edit and extend the
> > > comments and add job specific infor such as date and address. I would
> > > also like to add an addendum where comments remain sorted by room.  I
> > > have considered using Tcl/Tk as I have quite a bit of experience with it
> > > but don't know how well it works on PPCs. Perhaps there is a better
> > > solution.

> > > Hope my example makes sense. Your thoughts and comments would be
> > > appreciated.

> > > Best regards,

> > > John Hite

Data entry w/ canned comments

Post by John Hit » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 12:14:51

Have search 25 pages and have found a "realtor" but no appraiser yet.
Will keep looking tho it is kinda slow at 26K.

jh

> Look for a poster "appraiser" in the HP/Compaq area in:
> http://www.tabletpcbuzz.com/forum/

> I believe this person and a couple of others are Real Estate Appraisers
> and use the Compaq TC-1000.  YOu might try contact them and get their
> experiences with Tablet PC.

Data entry w/ canned comments

Post by Chris H » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 12:34:45

Careful what you wish for, John.  You just may be able to get it.  8-)  Good
luck in the hunt!
--
Chris H.
Microsoft MVP/Tablet PC

Quote:> Thanx Chris.

> jh

Data entry w/ canned comments

Post by E. Co » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 14:01:59

Well, there are cheaper ones.  Just depends on what you want/need.  There
are the lowest prices I have found.

Acer TMC102T    $1387
Acer TMC102Ti   $1499
Acer TMC104Ti   $1575
FIC SlateVision $1385
ViewSonic V1100 $1583
ViewSonic V1000 $1493

E. Cox

Quote:> So now that you folks have me hooked on a tablet can you recommend one
> of the cheaper ones? I just about fell out of my chair when I saw the
> $2300 price tag for a TC-1000.

> jh

1. H.261+data=multimedia? Comments please!

There seems to be some awareness of the H.261 video coding standards in this
newsgroup, so I'll start from there. I'm interested to know what awareness
there is of the *whole* ITU (ex-CCITT) framework for multimedia
communication, known as H.320. This includes H.261 as the video coding
standard.

We're talking here about videotelephony over ISDN. H.320 provides a
framework for doing videotelephony calls, aggregating more than 1
B-channel and dividing up that aggregate bandwidth between video, audio
and data.

The data channel provides codes for negotiating the capabilities of the
terminals, but it also can be used to do file transfer, shared
whiteboard, etc. over the videotelephony link. There is a protocol stack
specially defined by the ITU for doing this, mainly to do multipoint:
i.e. send the same whiteboard to a number of people in a
videoconference. This is in the new set of documents of the T.120
series, also known as the MLP (Multi-Layer Protocol).

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has come across this work, and if
so, what you think are its merits and demerits. Particularly how it
relates to other uses of the ISDN, eg. use of PPP, multicast IP, APIs,
support for existing applications (like what?), etc.

Please e-mail me and I will summarise back to the net. But don't
hesitate to post your reply as well if you think it is of general
interest, or to provide clarification, or to encourage others to take
part in the discussion.

Thanks in advance,
Mark Courtenay.

--
J Mark Courtenay                    tel. +44 473 645423
B81 261 51                          fax. +44 473 642163

2. Modem dialer starting by itself

3. Wanted Comments on Windows For Data on UNIX

4. hosts

5. Adding comment and searching by comment

6. winupdate and ie6

7. JPEG Comment and file comments

8. Windows XP Pro turning off at log on.

9. Any comments about AppWizard Comments?

10. Slow web page data entry

11. slow response to data entry

12. Long pause after data entry

13. Slow Response to Data Entry in Browser