DHCP Win 2000 client with ISC DHCP server

DHCP Win 2000 client with ISC DHCP server

Post by Gerry O'Brie » Fri, 02 Feb 2001 23:48:30

Hi,
    We have a setup where we run the ISC DHCP server for Windows 200
clients. It works fine this side of our router but not the far side. We
have seup "ip heleper-address" on the CISCO box and the DHCP protol gets
passed through from both side. Running netmon on the client show the
DISCOVER / OFFER / REQUEST / ACK sequence for the correct subnet. But it
fails on the client on the far side of the router with a network or
privilige access error when id do a "ipconfig/renew". Any ideas?

Thanks,

Gerry O'Brien

DHCP Win 2000 client with ISC DHCP server

Post by Kenneth Port » Sat, 03 Feb 2001 00:11:05

Quote:>    We have a setup where we run the ISC DHCP server for Windows 200
>clients. It works fine this side of our router but not the far side. We
>have seup "ip heleper-address" on the CISCO box and the DHCP protol gets
>passed through from both side. Running netmon on the client show the
>DISCOVER / OFFER / REQUEST / ACK sequence for the correct subnet. But it
>fails on the client on the far side of the router with a network or
>privilige access error when id do a "ipconfig/renew". Any ideas?

You might ask on the ISC dhcp-server mailing list. I've not payed attention
to the messages, but others on the list use similar setups. Do indicate
which version of the server you're using. Note that the current development
version is 3.0b2pl16. (I'm using this on an internal segment with dynamic
DNS update. Works well.)

Just guessing, this sounds like a Cisco configuration problem. There's a

newsgroup list in my reply.

1. Windows 2000 DHCP client with ISC DHCP server

Hi,
    We run the ISC DHCP server in a routed network. With Windows 98 the
server works fine and gives out IP addresses on either side of a Cisco
router. We use the Cisco command "ip helper-address to turn UDP
brodcasts on one side into directed datagrams on the other side.
However, with WIndows 2000 it only works inside the router. The far side
of the router we get: "Unexpected network failure or insufficient
access" when trying to do and Ipconfig/Renew. Network protocol analysis
show the correct DHCPDISCOVER / DHCPOFFER / DHCPREQUEST / DHCPACK cycle
but it just loops like that for ever.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Gerry

2. How to stop XP install?

3. Specify reliable DHCP server in DHCP client

4. Task Scheduler problem

5. Win95 DHCP Client / WinNT DHCP Server question

6. I broke XP networking - HELP !

7. Can DHCP Server be a DHCP Client as well?

8. how to mix too Wav file??

9. Win98 DHCP Client Can't See DHCP Server

10. Windows NT DHCP Server and Win95 DHCP Client

11. DHCP on NT server and 2000 Client

12. DHCP Server on WIn 2000 Prof

13. Windows NT DHCP clients and SunOS 4.x BOOTPD+DHCP patches