Need help getting started in IT

Post by Neil » Fri, 07 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> I hope that you can help me.  If not, maybe you guys can point me in the right
> direction.

Why not take an entry level IT job? You are already qualified and trainable
to work in technical support. That way, you can gain some experience and
prepare to get a better job. Of course, while you work technical support you
continue to work hard taking courses and so on. I know a number of people
who started in technical support, and used that experience -- as well as
education -- to advance to better and higher paying jobs.

---
Neil

Post by Gumgu » Sat, 08 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I hope that you can help me.  If not, maybe you guys can point me in the right
direction.

I am looking to get started in the IT field.  I have no experience, no related
education (I have an AA degree), but I do have a strong interest in computing.
For the past six months I have been trying to figure out how to "get my foot in
the door."  I was enrolled in a "fast track" MCSE course in October, but was
not at all pleased with the quality of teaching -- they basically read the
material out of the book.  I decided to try the "self-study" method, and in
early December I passed my Network Essentials exam.  For the past month or so I
have been studying for the NT Server Exam, but this seems to be more difficult
than studying for Net Essentials.  Now I am considering going to "boot camp" to
complete my MCSE.  Are these places worthwhile?

Meanwhile, however, I have been looking at the e-classifieds and I am surprised
to find that all of the positions needing to be filled require at least 1-2
years of experience in the field.  Also, many of them require a BS or BA in CS
or a related field.  The possession of an MCSE, CNE or similar certification
seems to be only a bonus.

From everything that I have heard over the past year -- 600,000 job vacancies,
IT industry rapidly growing, etc. -- I would have guessed that there were at
least a few businesses that would hire an MCP (or at least MCSE) with no
experience.  Are there no entry-level positions that offer some
on-the-job-training to people in my position?

I have no problem going back to school for my BS in CS if that is what I need
to do, but I would rather start working ASAP.  And I can't seem to get any
consistency on the subject -- people that I have talked to (seemingly
knowledgeable people) assured me that there are positions out there, but I
can't seem to find them.  I don't mind making a low salary (in fact, I expect
it).  Please, give me some advice on the subject or tell me where to go (no pun
intended).

Thank you.

Evan Guttman

Post by Hansang Ba » Sat, 08 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>I am looking to get started in the IT field.  I have no experience, no related
>education (I have an AA degree), but I do have a strong interest in computing.
>For the past six months I have been trying to figure out how to "get my foot in
>the door."  I was enrolled in a "fast track" MCSE course in October, but was
>not at all pleased with the quality of teaching -- they basically read the
>material out of the book.  I decided to try the "self-study" method, and in
>early December I passed my Network Essentials exam.  For the past month or so I
>have been studying for the NT Server Exam, but this seems to be more difficult
>than studying for Net Essentials.  Now I am considering going to "boot camp" to
>complete my MCSE.  Are these places worthwhile?

If self study is a bit hard for you, boot camp is not the way to go.
They are geared for people who have been working on NT for quite a while
and only require exam tips.

Quote:>Meanwhile, however, I have been looking at the e-classifieds and I am surprised
>to find that all of the positions needing to be filled require at least 1-2
>years of experience in the field.  Also, many of them require a BS or BA in CS
>or a related field.  The possession of an MCSE, CNE or similar certification
>seems to be only a bonus.

BS is *ALWAYS* good.  I've found that people with CompSci majors have a
better/deeper layer of understanding.  I'm sure people will tell you
otherwise and  that it's up the person.  All of this is true, but when
my senior project was writing a working NOS, you get to know the
ins-and-outs, if you will.  It's not a requirement, but it will NEVER
EVER hurt you to get your BS <sic> degree.

Quote:>From everything that I have heard over the past year -- 600,000 job vacancies,
>IT industry rapidly growing, etc. -- I would have guessed that there were at
>least a few businesses that would hire an MCP (or at least MCSE) with no
>experience.  Are there no entry-level positions that offer some
>on-the-job-training to people in my position?

They are out there.  Mostly small mom-and-pop operations.  A good place
is your local school, local chruch, local non-prof orgs, comm colleges
etc.  The reason you are hurting is because you ABSOLUTELY no
experience.  If you were to go back to school, get a work-study at
campus computing, you *WILL* learn a lot.

Quote:>I have no problem going back to school for my BS in CS if that is what I need
>to do, but I would rather start working ASAP.  And I can't seem to get any
>consistency on the subject -- people that I have talked to (seemingly
>knowledgeable people) assured me that there are positions out there, but I
>can't seem to find them.  I don't mind making a low salary (in fact, I expect
>it).  Please, give me some advice on the subject or tell me where to go (no pun
>intended).

When I hire, I use my list of technical questions.  They range from the
mundane to esoteric.  It has questions dating back to DOS, WFWG, Win31.
It has questions about protocol analysis, server admin, unix admin etc
etc.  I look at people's reaction to a real stumper as well as how
well-rounded they are.  It also gives me a good idea of how far they go
back in this field.  My advice to you is go back to school and work at
campus computing.  Or volunteer at local orgs that I menationed above.

*********** Remove the REMOVE if emailing me directly **************
reply to emails sent to my account.  Please post a followup instead.
Hansang Bae        Director of Network Operations, Eastern Region

Specializing in Network Design/Troubleshooting and Protocol Analysis

1. need help getting started

I'm new to eVB but I've been developing in VB for about 5
years.  In VB I'm use to creating the exe and also
creating the install setup.

Evidently in eVB an exe is not created, so I used the
embedded VB application install wizard to try to create
the project so I can load it on my Pocket PC.  When I get
to step 9, create install, I get a message 'Failed to copy
file setup.exe to the destination folder.  The message
says I might be out of disk space but I have plenty of
disk space available.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks

Fred

2. Continuous song play

3. Need Help getting old cdrom started while nothing is installed

4. Transmission Icon

5. need help getting started using vc7

6. Transferring emails from old computer to new

7. Need help getting started...

8. My Desktop: This Morning

9. Need help getting started with POSIX

10. Help needed getting started with MFC

11. Need Help to Change Netscape Communicator's Plug-ins Data

12. Need Help with Plug-ins

13. AVI PLUG-INS: need help