my first NT crash!

Post by Albert Li » Wed, 15 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Hello all,

My NT Workstation 3.51 with SP2 and new shell (2ed) has been
remarkably stable...until now. While running Word 7.0 (in Office 95)
in full screen mode and customizing toolbars, my machine suddenly
froze. Mouse cursor, CapsLock, ... nothing works. I have to cold boot
my machine. When I examined the event log later, I noticed that the
only event recorded between event log start and the cold boot is "ring
buffer full". Looks like some services was still alive.

I believe it's the problem with Word 7.0. It has crashed itself
without any warning a few times before (fortunately the autosave
worked!) What puzzles me is that how could a ring-3 application crash
such a robust OS like NT? Unless it is doing something *...

Coupled with a security bug caused by Office 95 toolbar, I now have
some reservation towards using Office 95 under NT.

Comments are welcome.

Albert

my first NT crash!

Post by Tom Horsl » Wed, 15 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Coupled with a security bug caused by Office 95 toolbar, I now have
>some reservation towards using Office 95 under NT.

I'd have more reservations about newshell than office95. Newshell replaces
a whole lot of system DLLs, office95 is just a batch of application
programs. I have office95 on my NT system, and I have had it mysteriously
abort on occassion, but I've never had NT crash (and I'm not using the
new shell).

Home: 511 Kingbird Circle Delray Beach FL  33444
Work: Harris Computers, 2101 W. Cypress Creek Rd. Ft. Lauderdale FL  33309
Support Project Vote Smart! They need your support in non-election years too!

my first NT crash!

Post by Cartier Hu » Thu, 16 Nov 1995 04:00:00

: My NT Workstation 3.51 with SP2 and new shell (2ed) has been
: remarkably stable...until now. While running Word 7.0 (in Office 95)
: in full screen mode and customizing toolbars, my machine suddenly
: froze. Mouse cursor, CapsLock, ... nothing works. I have to cold boot

: I believe it's the problem with Word 7.0. It has crashed itself
: without any warning a few times before (fortunately the autosave
: worked!) What puzzles me is that how could a ring-3 application crash
: such a robust OS like NT? Unless it is doing something *...

  I believe it's the problem with Alpha NewShell 2 rather than Word 7. I
run Word 7 (and other Office 95 apps) under NT 3.51 without any problem,
which I haven't apply the Newshell. Most likely that's the ring-0 system
files installed from NewShell 2. :)

--
+-----------------+-----------------------------------------------------+
|  Cartier Hung   | URL:   <http://www.veryComputer.com/~cartier/home.html> |

|      \\|//      | === Interest ===                                    |
|     ( o o )     | Computer Graphics, Digital Art, Parallel Computing  |
+--ooOo--U--oOoo--+-----------------------------------------------------+

my first NT crash!

Post by TBC » Fri, 17 Nov 1995 04:00:00

> : Hello all,

> : My NT Workstation 3.51 with SP2 and new shell (2ed) has been
> : remarkably stable...until now. While running Word 7.0 (in Office 95)
> : in full screen mode and customizing toolbars, my machine suddenly
> : froze. Mouse cursor, CapsLock, ... nothing works. I have to cold boot
> : my machine. When I examined the event log later, I noticed that the
> : only event recorded between event log start and the cold boot is "ring
> : buffer full". Looks like some services was still alive.
>    [snip]

> I am getting this same error running a variety of different applications.
> The "ring buffer full" in the Event Log mostly points at the
> Sermouse service.  What is interesting is that the video, mouse, and
> keyboard are frozen, yet the machine is still running.  I can remote
> login to the machine, ftp to it, access the web server, etc...

> My "freeze-up" rate is about every second day or so.

> I'm running NT Server 3.5.1.sp2, on a Pentium 133, 48M Ram (70ns std stuff),
> S3 video driver.

> (I'm very suspicious of the S3 video driver and my #9GXE64 video card).

> I tried increasing Sermouse ring buffer size, and it hasn't crashed
> in the first day since the change.  I'm dubious this will fix the
> problem however.

Hi Craig, I also use the #9GXE64 video card and NT 3.51 server on my PC
and have not crashed but then again I've not used it for extended periods
of time.

Would you mind sharing with me how to increase the Sermouse ring buffer?.  I
may [too] need to do that on mine (if I start crashing).

One comment, though, as far as I have been able to read off my MS Office
for Windows 95 documentation, it does not mention that it is a NT-specific
version.  I also have the MS Office for Windows NT, designed specifically
for NT (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, no Access <g>).  I think you can obtain
the this NT-specific version for close to $nothing$ directly from Microsoft.

Regards,

J. Padron

my first NT crash!

Post by Michael Plate [TEM » Fri, 17 Nov 1995 04:00:00

> : Hello all,

> : My NT Workstation 3.51 with SP2 and new shell (2ed) has been
> : remarkably stable...until now. While running Word 7.0 (in Office 95)
> : in full screen mode and customizing toolbars, my machine suddenly
> : froze. Mouse cursor, CapsLock, ... nothing works. I have to cold boot
> : my machine. When I examined the event log later, I noticed that the
> : only event recorded between event log start and the cold boot is "ring
> : buffer full". Looks like some services was still alive.
>    [snip]

> I am getting this same error running a variety of different applications.
> The "ring buffer full" in the Event Log mostly points at the
> Sermouse service.  What is interesting is that the video, mouse, and
> keyboard are frozen, yet the machine is still running.  I can remote
> login to the machine, ftp to it, access the web server, etc...

> My "freeze-up" rate is about every second day or so.

> I'm running NT Server 3.5.1.sp2, on a Pentium 133, 48M Ram (70ns std stuff),
> S3 video driver.

> (I'm very suspicious of the S3 video driver and my #9GXE64 video card).

> I tried increasing Sermouse ring buffer size, and it hasn't crashed
> in the first day since the change.  I'm dubious this will fix the
> problem however.

> Craig

> --
> Craig A. Humphreys
> Pacific Design Engineering
> San Ramon, CA, U.S.A.

I too have experienced this problem and concur on my 3.5 server with a mirocrystal
16SI PCI card.  I concur with Craig that the problem is in the S3 driver
and has nothing to do with the keyboard or mouse.  I've increased both ring buffers
to no avail. Using the generic S3 driver instead of the Miro driver decreases the
frequency of hangs but substantially increases the amount of slop the driver
displays.  Never see the problem in VGA mode.

                        Mike Plate'

my first NT crash!