Networking W2k pro and W98se?!?!

Post by Hoga » Fri, 01 Dec 2000 04:00:00

I have been searching theses newsgroups head to toe lately... for a
question/problem that I thought my room temperature iq could handle...

I have 2 boxes... one is 98se and one is w2kpro... I need to get access with
the 98se box to the 2kpro box.  Everything is fine from the w2k box to the
98se box... no problem... but from 98se to 2kpro I get a login screen and my
password does not work...  it says "file://servername/ipc$" what the hell is
ipc$... why won;t it go to admin$ or one of the other two drives I shared???

I would appreciate anyone who has had this problem... sharing with me or any
super intelligent users out there that can sovle my problem with a simple
email or repost to this...

for the help I would be eternally greatful ;~)

regards,

Stephen.

Networking W2k pro and W98se?!?!

Post by Gary Do » Sat, 02 Dec 2000 04:00:00

You must create a user account on the Win2k machine with the same user name
and password you are using to log on to the Win98 machine.  Give this
account access to the files you are sharing, and you should be ok.

Gary

Quote:> I have been searching theses newsgroups head to toe lately... for a
> question/problem that I thought my room temperature iq could handle...

> I have 2 boxes... one is 98se and one is w2kpro... I need to get access
with
> the 98se box to the 2kpro box.  Everything is fine from the w2k box to the
> 98se box... no problem... but from 98se to 2kpro I get a login screen and
my
> password does not work...  it says "file://servername/ipc$" what the hell
is
> ipc$... why won;t it go to admin$ or one of the other two drives I
shared???

> I would appreciate anyone who has had this problem... sharing with me or
any
> super intelligent users out there that can sovle my problem with a simple
> email or repost to this...

> for the help I would be eternally greatful ;~)

> regards,

> Stephen.

Networking W2k pro and W98se?!?!

Post by Wade » Mon, 04 Dec 2000 11:30:25

Gary is right, and a more complex way of making it work is to put up a W2K
server as a domain controller, then you will not have any problems, just log
on as an admin anywhere and you will get to what ever you like.

> You must create a user account on the Win2k machine with the same user
name
> and password you are using to log on to the Win98 machine.  Give this
> account access to the files you are sharing, and you should be ok.

> Gary

> > I have been searching theses newsgroups head to toe lately... for a
> > question/problem that I thought my room temperature iq could handle...

> > I have 2 boxes... one is 98se and one is w2kpro... I need to get access
> with
> > the 98se box to the 2kpro box.  Everything is fine from the w2k box to
the
> > 98se box... no problem... but from 98se to 2kpro I get a login screen
and
> my
> > password does not work...  it says "file://servername/ipc$" what the
hell
> is
> > ipc$... why won;t it go to admin$ or one of the other two drives I
> shared???

> > I would appreciate anyone who has had this problem... sharing with me or
> any
> > super intelligent users out there that can sovle my problem with a
simple
> > email or repost to this...

> > for the help I would be eternally greatful ;~)

> > regards,

> > Stephen.

1. HELP:From W98SE to W98SE/XP Pro Dual Boot

Hi

I currentnly have Windows 98SE on my computer but I'm getting sick of it
because it's not really that stable and XP Pro would be nice. I purchased XP
Pro and want to install it on my system.

I have a 80gb hard drive with two partitions: Windows 98SE is on the C drive
which is about 65gb, and I have a 10gb D drive which I keep music and a few
other things on.

This is the plan/requirements:

I want XP Pro on my C drive, and 98SE on my D drive. I want to kepe 98SE for
a few games and apps that won't work on XP Pro.

Now the question is: How do I do this? I know I'll have to stick to FAT32 if
I want to access both drives, which is no problem. The hard drive is on a
RAID controller on my Abit KR7A RAID mobo.

What do I need to look out for? Also, the computer as no internet access, so
i'll have to get the updates from my other system, burn the and install!

Any help appreciated!!

Cheers

DK

2. Deleting Unwanted Programs

3. Home network (W95/W2K Pro) problem - W95 can't see W2K boxes...

4. mac volumes on nt server 4.0

5. Adding W2K Pro host to W2K DC: "Network path not found"

6. My mouse sometimes quits in W3.

7. Problem in XP PRO - W98SE network

8. show digital camera as a separate drive

9. ICS on W2K with W98SE host

10. Newbie W98se > W98se NG

11. W98SE/W98SE/LinkSys/DSL

12. Encoding live to Windows Media Encoder on W2K Pro to Windows Media Server on W2K Server?

13. upgrading w2k pro to w2k advanced server