IrNET, IrLAN Support on windowsCE, Windows2000

IrNET, IrLAN Support on windowsCE, Windows2000

Post by Anonymous N » Sat, 27 Sep 2003 12:33:05

Hi,

I'm looking for IrNet and/or IrLAN resource (eg/driver/config/program/API,
implementation/betas/research etc) to be used by WindowsCE and/or PC,
(I really hope we do not resolved to wrote ourself).

For eg, if I'm not wrong, on "pocket"  linux, the kernel have buildin this
facility, how about windowsCE ? ( I heard that windows 2000 having this
support, is it true ?)

Thank,

 Rgds

    Ng

   (W245751065P)

IrNET, IrLAN Support on windowsCE, Windows2000

Post by Alan J. McFarlan » Sun, 28 Sep 2003 05:09:37

Quote:> I'm looking for IrNet and/or IrLAN resource
> (eg/driver/config/program/API, implementation/betas/research etc) to
> be used by WindowsCE and/or PC, (I really hope we do not resolved to
> wrote ourself).

> For eg, if I'm not wrong, on "pocket"  linux, the kernel have buildin
> this facility, how about windowsCE ? ( I heard that windows 2000
> having this support, is it true ?)

Windows 2000 does not have IrLAN, I understand Linux does have support for
it (whether it is "in the kernel" ...?).  IrLAN is not so popular today;
using PPP over IrDA is much preferred for multiple reasons:
* it is easier to support (when the device has PPP already)
* is necessary / already supported if dialing-up through mobile phones with
IrDA
* includes authentication
* works regardless of the media the peer device is attached too/supports,
rather than having to support Ethernet/TokenRing frame types as with IrLAN,
and support point-to-point media
* is more feature laden, supports compression etc etc

IrLAN was supported in Windows 98 when the other methods had not become so
popular.  Actually removing this support when Windows 2000 was produced was
perhaps a little vicious.

As to the other methods, where PPP is used.  The very common method is to
use PPP over IrCOMM, this is just where the IrCOMM connection is treated
like a serial connection.  The other is the IrDial/IrNet/IrModem protocols
which defines new IrDA Service Names.

The PPP->IrCOMM method is the normal way to connect through mobile phones
but I guess it can be used between peer (PC/PDA) devices where the dialing
sequence can be skipped.  Windows 2000 supports this (when fully
up-to-date), but only outbound (unless the IrComm2k driver can be used).
Window 98 supports this too as does Linux.  Be aware that Window's null
modem support requires a minimal dial-ing sequence of CLIENT, CLIENTSERVER.

The IrDial/IrNet/IrModem protocols use Service Name "IrNetv1" when
connecting to a peer and use PPP.  When connecting to a modem/terminal
adapter, "IrModem" is (was?!) used, with an initial dialing sequence.
Windows 2000 etc supports the former and no longer supports the latter.
Linux supports the former at least.

For more information, see my pages at
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alanjmcf/, and for a Linux viewpoint see Jean
Tourrilhes's pages at http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/ and
Microsoft's information around
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hwdev/tech/network/infrared/default.mspx
--
Alan J. McFarlane
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alanjmcf/

1. WindowsCE.NET will not support DRM ??

Yesterday I got an opportunity using WinCE.NETv4.2(English
Version).

As far as I looked WinCE.NET was including
WindowsMediaPlayer.

The Icon look like to WindowsMediaPlayer9 and it's
filename was CEPlayer.exe.

I tried access some WindowsMedia files.

Non DRM-protected files were gone well.

But DRM-protected files were not gone.....

I tried all DRM-protect patterns as follows;

  DRMv1 protected Audio
  DRMv1 protected Video
  DRMv7.1(Indiv Version 2) protected Audio
  DRMv7.1(Indiv Version 2) protected Video
  DRMv9(Indiv Version 2.2) protected Audio
  DRMv9(Indiv Version 2.2) protected Video

WindowsCE.NET will not support DRM ??

2. VERY irritating dial-up problem

3. Which version does the USB driver of WindowsCE support?

4. Detect display adaptor settings with Director 4.0.4?

5. WM_KICKIDLE supported in WindowsCE/PocketPC?

6. Movie Maker 2

7. Archiving in Outlook Express

8. WindowsCE 3.00: http-server supporting asp

9. Java 2 support for WindowsCE?

10. WindowsCE and java support...

11. IrLAN ?

12. Media Player lost events on Windows2000 Media Player