Getting under NT's "skin" (command line scripting)

Getting under NT's "skin" (command line scripting)

Post by john j. staffo » Wed, 22 May 1996 04:00:00

  I can already see that using the windoze interface to NT for
  sophisticated, large installation support is just not going to
  be adequate. Can someone give me a pointer to information regarding
  scripting and more complete control at the command-line?  I'm a
  VMS veteran and hope to find that NT (4.0+) has a functionality
  approaching that of VMS' DCL language. I just need some documentation.
--
John J. Stafford - Winona State University
                   Academic Computing Services

Post by Kevin Flanaga » Wed, 22 May 1996 04:00:00

>   I can already see that using the windoze interface to NT for
>   sophisticated, large installation support is just not going to
>   be adequate. Can someone give me a pointer to information regarding
>   scripting and more complete control at the command-line?  I'm a
>   VMS veteran and hope to find that NT (4.0+) has a functionality
>   approaching that of VMS' DCL language. I just need some documentation.
> --
> John J. Stafford - Winona State University
>                    Academic Computing Services

Get PERL for NT.

 http://www.windowsnt.digital.com/ftp/develop/NTPERLB.ZIP

Post by David Dillar » Wed, 22 May 1996 04:00:00

> Can someone give me a pointer to information regarding
> scripting and more complete control at the command-line?

Get the NT resource kit, it comes with a number of command line tools along with Perl and
REXX for much more sophisticated scripting than standard batch files provide.

Principal Software Engineer
Micro Design International, Inc.                http://www.microdes.com

Getting under NT's "skin" (command line scripting)

Post by dave port » Wed, 22 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>  I'm a
>   VMS veteran and hope to find that NT (4.0+) has a functionality
>   approaching that of VMS' DCL language. I just need some documentation.

If you're talking about the built-in command language (i.e., what
an NT "Command Prompt" supports) then

1. Forget it. It's got negligible capabilities.

2. All documentation is available online -- see the "Windows NT Help"
   icon in the Main program group

1. BUG: WMP 9: "Select a new skin" command doesn't work

Description of issue (one sentence): "Select a new skin" command doesn't
work
Issue Type: (Bug, Request, Other): Bug
Windows Version: Windows XP Professional
CPU Speed: Celeron 850 MHz
Memory: 256 MB
Video Card (if known): NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64
Sound Card (if known): Sound Blaster 16
Exact steps to reproduce (if applicable):

1. Click Tools | Options and select "Display anchor window when in skin
mode", if you have not already done so [it's off by default, it must be on].
2. Switch to skin mode.
3. Click the button in the anchor window and select "Select a new skin".
4. It will switch back to full mode but not on the "Skin Chooser" tab, which
is what it should be.

2. update will not install?

3. Question about the "dir" command in the command-line mode

4. How do I resolve a Language Dialog failure (error 106) on app install?

5. using NT "at" command for rasdial scheduling - how do you say "now"?

6. Windows XP will not shutdown & turn computer off

7. command line to open "windows NT Explorer"?

8. language conversion

9. Command-line equivalent to Device Manager's "Scan for hardware changes"

10. REQ: "logout" command line tool for NT

11. NT->UNIX, NT's "REXEC" command

12. WANTED """ NT 3.51 Training Videos """" WANTED

13. can't access "windows explorer" , "my computer", "control panel"