ScanDisk Thorough

Post by Dave Jame » Tue, 29 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Can't get ScanDisk Thorough to run to completion. Every time I start it, it
seems to get into a loop, restarting over and over until I get an error
message saying that ScanDisk had re-started 10 times due to disk write
activity and did I want to continue ? Answering YES merely causes the loop
to continue. There is no other application running on the machine - so
what's causing the continual disk writing that upsets ScanDisk Thorough ?
(ScanDisk "Normal" completes OK).

ScanDisk Thorough

Post by BBianch5 » Tue, 29 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>Subject: ScanDisk Thorough

>Can't get ScanDisk Thorough to run to completion. Every time I start it, it
>seems to get into a loop, restarting over and over until I get an error
>message saying that ScanDisk had re-started 10 times due to disk write
>activity and did I want to continue ?

Before running scandisk do a CTRL - ALT - DELETE and close down everything
except Explorer and Systray. See if that works.

Bob Bianchini
MCP
a.k.a. tbcBob
The Breadbox Channel - Nightly 9PM - 11PM EST
Download a FREE Meeting Room Chat Client from:
http://www.breadbox.com
Corrections & Comments Welcomed

ScanDisk Thorough

Post by Vlad Andreye » Tue, 29 Dec 1998 04:00:00

It's probably one of the two: either you have too little memory and
Windows keeps writing to the swap file, or you do in fact have other
processes running that write to disk, even if it's not obvious.  This
may be the FindFast program that comes with Microsoft Office, for
example.  It's always running unless you disable it, but you don't
actually notice it.  What you can do to see a list of ALL the processes
on your system is download from Microsoft site and run a small utility
called WinTop.  It's in Windows 95 Kernel Toys section of their donwload
pages, I think.  WinTop lists all the processes and even lets you kill
them.  Sort of like Windows NT Task Manager.

ScanDisk Thorough

Post by Under1m » Tue, 29 Dec 1998 04:00:00

It seems to be a glitch in win95, cause I have a friend who also has the same
problem.
I also had this problem till I installed Norton Utilities, and it stopped. I
now have NO problems with standard or thorough scan disk.
I have a HP 8260 and my friend has a Dell. It worked for me.
Ed

ScanDisk Thorough

Post by Ed Kelle » Tue, 29 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi Dave,
I always boot to c prompt to run scandisk (just type scandisk then
press enter)
After the brief pyrotechnics display it will ask if you want to run a
surface (thorough) scan, which will proceed unimpeded because you are
not running windows.
Ed

>Can't get ScanDisk Thorough to run to completion. Every time I start
it, it
>seems to get into a loop, restarting over and over until I get an
error
>message saying that ScanDisk had re-started 10 times due to disk
write
>activity and did I want to continue ? Answering YES merely causes the
loop
>to continue. There is no other application running on the machine -
so
>what's causing the continual disk writing that upsets ScanDisk
Thorough ?
>(ScanDisk "Normal" completes OK).

ScanDisk Thorough

Post by Aaron Higg » Sat, 02 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Reboot and run in SAFE MODE.  One of Windows mysterious background tasks is
writing to the drive causing scandisk to restart.

>Can't get ScanDisk Thorough to run to completion. Every time I start it, it
>seems to get into a loop, restarting over and over until I get an error
>message saying that ScanDisk had re-started 10 times due to disk write
>activity and did I want to continue ? Answering YES merely causes the loop
>to continue. There is no other application running on the machine - so
>what's causing the continual disk writing that upsets ScanDisk Thorough ?
>(ScanDisk "Normal" completes OK).

1. Scandisk (Thorough) fails on removable 230mb disk

hi, all!  here's the message i get while running scandisk on a 230mb Syquest
EZFlyer parallel drive:

"Scandisk cannot continue because the disk it was checking was removed from
the drive.  Reinsert the disk, and then restart Scandisk".  "cancel" was the
only option in the window.  there is no message name or number associated
with the message.

the message first came up after cluster 33,000 of 56,256.

then i went to
System Properties
Performance
File System
Removable disk
and checked "Enable write-behind caching on all removable disk drives".

restarted the system.

subsequent Scandisk (Thorough) then gave the message at cluster 42,065 of
56, 256.

it would appear that enabling the write-behind option helped somewhat. i
changed the disk and got same results so i'm pretty sure that it was not the
media.

is there some other cache-related setting i can change to allow me to go
through the whole disk without failure?  it is only a 230mb disk.  scandisk
(thorough) runs without any problem on the fixed drives (10gb).

i am not really sure what's happening but i am able to format the drive and
backup files to it.  i did run into problems copying multiple folders
(system slows down to the point when i am unable to do anything and have had
to reboot).

thanks for all your help.

ginny
:-)

2. HELP! Want to override MFC functions...

3. How do i do a thorough scandisk in WinXP?

4. USB Printer Problems

5. scandisk locked on Thorough at startup how

6. Re^2: OSF/Motif vs. NeWS vs. SUN/Open Windows vs. ?

7. Thorough scandisk fails on data area

8. How to use Xml for WinCE30 ?

9. Scandisk Does a Thorough Scan When Running After a Bad Shutdown

10. Scandisk cont'd: How to run Scandisk in CE 3.00 (Steve?)

11. THOROUGH SCAN DISK WITH XP

12. A good, deep, thorough uninstaller

13. WinME thorough scan on startup issue