Error message on start-up rundll32 has caused an error

Error message on start-up rundll32 has caused an error

Post by Wade » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 21:45:09

Good day ...
When I boot up I get an error message that says..
"rundll32 has caused an error in kernel 32.dll rundll32
will now close "  I am running Win ME ver 4.90.0.3000 on
a Gateway computer.
When this happens the mouse does not operate, the icons
on the screen seem enlarged and the system is frozen...
I am able to boot up in "safe mode" but when I do that
the 2 cd drives are not recognized and only the 3 1/2
floppy drive works so I cannot reinstall Windows ... Also
I have a "start-up" disk but when I reboot with that in
the 3 1/2 drive nothing changes...I also have an
emergency boot disk that I made from Norton but that
won't work either ???? I have an identical computer with
the same version and have tried to copy the rundll32 and
kernel32.dll files . It allowed me to copy in the
rundll32 but said I can't copy the kernel32.dll file
because windows is using it ....I'm stuck and would
appreciate any advice   Thanks in advance  Wade

Post by Kath » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 07:44:31

> Good day ...
> When I boot up I get an error message that says..
> "rundll32 has caused an error in kernel 32.dll rundll32
> will now close "  I am running Win ME ver 4.90.0.3000 on
> a Gateway computer.
> When this happens the mouse does not operate, the icons
> on the screen seem enlarged and the system is frozen...
> I am able to boot up in "safe mode" but when I do that
> the 2 cd drives are not recognized and only the 3 1/2
> floppy drive works so I cannot reinstall Windows ... Also
> I have a "start-up" disk but when I reboot with that in
> the 3 1/2 drive nothing changes...I also have an
> emergency boot disk that I made from Norton but that
> won't work either ???? I have an identical computer with
> the same version and have tried to copy the rundll32 and
> kernel32.dll files . It allowed me to copy in the
> rundll32 but said I can't copy the kernel32.dll file
> because windows is using it ....I'm stuck and would
> appreciate any advice   Thanks in advance  Wade

Kernel32.dll errors are most often associated with outdated video
display
drivers.  Try visiting the manufacturer's website to see if they offer
updated drivers for your video display card.  If not, try reducing
hardware
acceleration and see if that fixes it:

1. Right-click the My Computer icon on the Desktop, then click
Properties.
The System Properties dialog box appears.
2. Click the Performance tab.
3. Under Advanced Settings, click Graphics. The Advanced Graphics
Settings
dialog box appears.
4. Move the Hardware Acceleration slider to the left one or two
positions.
5. Click OK, then restart the system when prompted.

For help with kernel32 errors, see these links:

Kernel32 error on exiting OE.
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q225/2/54.ASP

Q276727 - OLEXP: Error Message: MSIMN Caused an Invalid Page Fault in
Module
Kernel32.dll:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q276/7/27.asp

Troubleshooting Kernel32.dll errors and Invalid Page Faults:
http://www.svetlian.com/en/Kernel32.htm
--

Error message on start-up rundll32 has caused an error

Post by Wade » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 22:14:52

Thanks for the reply....I tried what you suggested but
still did not fix the problem...Will try to download new
display drivers from my other computer and see if that
helps....also thought about purchasing a new inexpensive
video card ???
Thank you for your help  Wade

Post by Noel Pato » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 23:04:03

There shouldn't be any need for that, Wade. (we haven't even established yet
that it IS your video drivers.)

try this

Reboot to Safe Mode
Does ME open without problems? - if so then it probably is a driver issue.
Open Device Manager
Remove ALL error flagged devices
Remove all external devices that are duplicated (all instances!)
Remove ALL Display Adapters
Remove All Monitors

Reboot to normal mode - windows will reinstall the drivers

see if that helps

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2003, Win9x)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

> Thanks for the reply....I tried what you suggested but
> still did not fix the problem...Will try to download new
> display drivers from my other computer and see if that
> helps....also thought about purchasing a new inexpensive
> video card ???
> Thank you for your help  Wade

Post by Wade » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 03:20:45

Downloaded display drivers from Mfg website and installed
and then used Win Me setup CD to reinstall ...everything
works fine now....thanks for the help  Wade

Glad to hear that all is now well.