NT 3.5 Server-Use Comm.drv or Cybercomm.drv?

NT 3.5 Server-Use Comm.drv or Cybercomm.drv?

Post by f.. » Tue, 30 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I recently switched to NT 3.5 Server and I know that in Windoze 3.1 I
replaced the comm.drv with *comm.drv. Has anyone replaced the
comm.drv in NT and where would I set up this new driver if I did
switch it?
                                Thanks,
                                FM

NT 3.5 Server-Use Comm.drv or Cybercomm.drv?

Post by Rob Goug » Tue, 30 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Win3.11 comm.drv is not compatible with NT or 95.  On 95, you
can use it, but only 16 bit apps will use the replacement comm
driver.  32 bit apps communicate directly with the vxd that the
original 95 comm.drv thunks to.  This won't happen in NT.  The
*comm driver will attemt to access hardware, rather than the
32 bit supporting layer, and execution will be stopped by NT.
Why do you need a different comm driver anyway?

Post by Gary A. Cerka » Sun, 04 Feb 1996 04:00:00

> I recently switched to NT 3.5 Server and I know that in Windoze 3.1 I
> replaced the comm.drv with *comm.drv. Has anyone replaced the
> comm.drv in NT and where would I set up this new driver if I did
> switch it?
>                                 Thanks,
>                                 FM

You wouldn't - it can't be done - HAL to port address - over...

   Gary A. Cerkas    http://www.veryComputer.com/

Post by Thomas Ma » Sun, 11 Feb 1996 04:00:00

> I recently switched to NT 3.5 Server and I know that in Windoze 3.1 I
> replaced the comm.drv with *comm.drv. Has anyone replaced the
> comm.drv in NT and where would I set up this new driver if I did
> switch it?
>                                 Thanks,
>                                 FM

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\WOW\boot\comm.drvchange value to whatever.
--
Tom May

The opinions expressed here are not my own.
I am still trying to determine whose they are.

1. replacing comm.drv with a turbo.drv

Does anyone know of a shareware or freeware communications driver
that would enable me to use the capabilities of of 16550A UART.  I
think there is a commerically available driver called TURBOCOM.DRV
or something like that.  If I can't find a free driver then does
anyone have any experience with or know where I can find the shareware
or commerical product?  Thanks.

Ross

2. Networking problem ...

3. missing COMM.DRV

4. MessageBox error!?

5. Missing a "comm.drv"

6. TCP/IP on Windows NT

7. comm.drv

8. HELP Looking for multimedia grad school

9. Missing COMM.DRV

10. Reinstall comm.DRV in system32 directory

11. comm.drv file missing "Help"

12. comm.drv error when trying to install 95/98 games on xp

13. missing comm.drv file