'Cannot find file load.exe'

Post by Rory Car » Fri, 12 Jul 2002 04:00:32

Hi,
every time I start up my PC I get a message telling me
that it "cannot find file load.exe".
This doesn't seem to cause any trouble, but it is annoying.

Can anyone tell me how to find the missing file?

Thanks,
Rory.

'Cannot find file load.exe'

Post by Noel Pato » Fri, 12 Jul 2002 06:40:58

You almost certainly don't want the file back, as it's probably either
spyware or a trojan.
Go to MSCONFIG, and uncheck the relevant line in the Startup tab, and then
Click Apply.
Then click on Cleanup, Apply (again) and OK - Windows will reboot, and
hopefully your nag will be voiceless <g>

--

Noel Paton

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Quote:> Hi,
> every time I start up my PC I get a message telling me
> that it "cannot find file load.exe".
> This doesn't seem to cause any trouble, but it is annoying.

> Can anyone tell me how to find the missing file?

> Thanks,
> Rory.

'Cannot find file load.exe'

Post by Alan Edward » Fri, 12 Jul 2002 07:59:25

This is an old response and I have not recently checked all the
addresses.

You don't need another copy of LOAD.EXE as it is supplied by the
virus.

Nimda
http://msn.zdnet.com/zdfeeds/msncobrand/reviews/0%2C13828%2C2811488-h...

http://vil.nai.com/vil/virusSummary.asp?virus_k=99209
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32nimdaa.html
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/se...

An extract from McAffee's page:
-------------
It may copy itself to the WINDOWS SYSTEM directory as LOAD.EXE and
create a SYSTEM.INI entry to load itself at startup:
Shell=explorer.exe load.exe -dontrunold
------------
Change the line to
Shell=explorer.exe

...Alan
--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems

In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Rory Carr"

>Hi,
>every time I start up my PC I get a message telling me
>that it "cannot find file load.exe".
>This doesn't seem to cause any trouble, but it is annoying.

>Can anyone tell me how to find the missing file?

>Thanks,
>Rory.

1. Cannot find the file 'load=' (or one of its components)

This error appear every time I log into Windows NT 4.0, followed by:

"Make sure the path name and file name are correct and that all the
required libraries are available.  Make sure the file exists on your
computer or remove the reference to it from the registry."

How does one delete an item from the registry?  I figure this is
probably not a good idea, but am unsure as to preceed

Edward W. Ray

2. Hangs at start-up

3. 'file cannot be found' when trying to open files directly from URL links

4. Some Software is Slowing Down

5. Windows cannot find 'wmplayer.exe'

6. *** Need a Top Flight Web Marketer??? (NO MLM's PLEASE) ***

7. windows cannot find 'open.exe' no cdrw

8. XP failed to boot!

9. windows cannot find 'openme.exe'.

10. Cannot find the file 'F:\Program' - what's running this program?

11. Windows cannot find 'C\Windows\rundll32.exe'

12. 'Find' - Finding Subject Words from the 'Find' Window

13. Cannot find server, 'The page cannot be displayed' message