USing WIn95 shared printer via NT 4.0, User's don't get print notification.

USing WIn95 shared printer via NT 4.0, User's don't get print notification.

Post by Lannie Schafro » Sat, 27 Sep 1997 04:00:00

All,

We have a NT 4.0 server and many Windows95 clients.  We have 12 print
server PC's serving printers via Pathworks LAT.  With this setup, the NT
server sends print jobs to the LAT service name and port name.  The PS PC
prints it via it's local ports.  This works fine and the users can see
what print jobs are in the queue and who owns them.  They also get print
notifications when the print job is complete.

I recently upgraded 3 of the PS PC's to WIn95 and shared the printers via
TCPIP.  I changed the NT server queue to point to these services.  Now
ALL print jobs show up as the name of the NT server and noone get's print
notifiactions.  This setup is MUCH more reliable and stable compared to
the LAT services.  If we can get the bugs worked out, we will upgrade all
of them.

Anyone have any ideas?
Lannie Schafroth                Iowa Network Services, Inc.

515 830-0443 Phone              4201 Corporate Drive
515 830-0123 Fax                West Des Moines, Ia 50266
Any statements or opinions stated are that of my
own and not necessarily that of my employer.

USing WIn95 shared printer via NT 4.0, User's don't get print notification.

Post by Joe Guider » Mon, 06 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Unfortunately what you're seeing (as  far as I can tell) is not a bug, but
the way IP printing works.  Essentially the Windows NT machines is using LPR
to print to the IP printers on your desktops.  With this form of printing
only the host that issues the print request (in this case the Windows NT
machine) gets communicated.

--
Joe Guidera
Microsoft MVP DTS

My address is intentionally invalid.  Remove the '.---' to get
to my real address.

>All,

>We have a NT 4.0 server and many Windows95 clients.  We have 12 print
>server PC's serving printers via Pathworks LAT.  With this setup, the NT
>server sends print jobs to the LAT service name and port name.  The PS PC
>prints it via it's local ports.  This works fine and the users can see
>what print jobs are in the queue and who owns them.  They also get print
>notifications when the print job is complete.

>I recently upgraded 3 of the PS PC's to WIn95 and shared the printers via
>TCPIP.  I changed the NT server queue to point to these services.  Now
>ALL print jobs show up as the name of the NT server and noone get's print
>notifiactions.  This setup is MUCH more reliable and stable compared to
>the LAT services.  If we can get the bugs worked out, we will upgrade all
>of them.

>Anyone have any ideas?
>--
>--
>Lannie Schafroth                Iowa Network Services, Inc.

>515 830-0443 Phone              4201 Corporate Drive
>515 830-0123 Fax                West Des Moines, Ia 50266
>Any statements or opinions stated are that of my
>own and not necessarily that of my employer.

1. Print notification on NT 4.0 and Win95 shared printer

All,

I have 9 printers which are shared via DOS based Pathworks PC's running
LAT.  This configuration was too flaky and hard to setup.

I replaced some of them with Windows95 standalone PC's and shared the
local printers via TCPIP instead of LAT.  With the earlier configuration,
the NT server would send a Winpopup when the print job was finished.  Now
with the Windows95 setup, the user is never notified.  Is there a setup
option I missed in Windows95 to allow the NT server to know when the job
is complete?  It's strange a OLD DOS based configuration worked fine, and
a newer Win95 config will not.

Any ideas?  I'd hate to go back to the old LAT configuration.
Lannie Schafroth                Iowa Network Services, Inc.

515 830-0443 Phone              4201 Corporate Drive
515 830-0123 Fax                West Des Moines, Ia 50266
Any statements or opinions stated are that of my
own and not necessarily that of my employer.

2. Where is the Lock button?

3. Help - 'Home' can't print to shared printer on 'Pro'

4. Help!!(Restart)

5. XP and 2000 PC's printing to printers shared by NT 4.0 Server.

6. Connecting XP to 2000 Server running Terminal Services

7. WIN95 can't share printer from NT WS 4.0

8. MPEG MOVIES

9. DON'T BUY HP PRINTERS - THEY DON'T SUPPORT THEIR PRODUCTS

10. Network Printing - Doesn't Work, Can't Delete Printer, Can't Install Printer

11. Getting an error while using 6.0 that i'm Using 4.0.......

12. XP can't print to shared printer on Win95, no drivers

13. Printing via COM1 /WINXP 'TERM/0 PRINT ERROR'