Help - NT system continually checks CD-ROM drive and hard drive

Help - NT system continually checks CD-ROM drive and hard drive

Post by Lisa H. Re » Sat, 10 Feb 1996 04:00:00

(I appologize for cross posting to 4 groups, but since I don't know
what the problem is, I am not sure which group to post to)

I don't know if anyone can help me, but I have been experiencing a
VERY annoying problem on my Advance P-90.  Periodically, my PC will go
out and check the CD-ROM drive and the hard disk.  You can tell this
because the lights on these drives light up and while it is checking
my mouse freezes and all terminal activity (typing, clicking, etc) is
suspended until the check is complete.  These interrupts last about 5
to 10 seconds.  These occur with a frequency of -oh- every 5 minutes
at times to every 30 seconds other times.

I have not been able to account for an application that may be causing
this.  I have tried closing down applications one at a time to test to
see if a given application is causing this - to no avail.

This will happen if I have CD in the CD drive, if I don't have a CD in
the drive, or if I have the CD drive door open. If I have a CD in
there, I believe these interrupts reset the head -- for instance, if I
am listening to music, I hear a hit and the CD either resets to track
1, or to the start of the next track.

I have tried running virus programs (the PC is clean as far as the
utilities can tell).  I have searched for diagnostic programs to run,
but cannot seem to find any on my NT station.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Lisa Reed

AT&T Bell Labs

Post by Jim Rusli » Sun, 11 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>(I appologize for cross posting to 4 groups, but since I don't know
>what the problem is, I am not sure which group to post to)

>I don't know if anyone can help me, but I have been experiencing a
>VERY annoying problem on my Advance P-90.  Periodically, my PC will go
>out and check the CD-ROM drive and the hard disk.  You can tell this
>because the lights on these drives light up and while it is checking
>my mouse freezes and all terminal activity (typing, clicking, etc) is
>suspended until the check is complete.  These interrupts last about 5
>to 10 seconds.  These occur with a frequency of -oh- every 5 minutes
>at times to every 30 seconds other times.

>I have not been able to account for an application that may be causing
>this.  I have tried closing down applications one at a time to test to
>see if a given application is causing this - to no avail.

>This will happen if I have CD in the CD drive, if I don't have a CD in
>the drive, or if I have the CD drive door open. If I have a CD in
>there, I believe these interrupts reset the head -- for instance, if I
>am listening to music, I hear a hit and the CD either resets to track
>1, or to the start of the next track.

>I have tried running virus programs (the PC is clean as far as the
>utilities can tell).  I have searched for diagnostic programs to run,
>but cannot seem to find any on my NT station.

>Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

>Lisa Reed

>AT&T Bell Labs

Just a few things to check.

Check and make sure that the CDROM is not in your path.

Check you event log for any SCSI bus errors.

Double check the cabling and termination.

You may be getting SCSI bus/device resets.

Hope that this helps.

Posted and Mailed
Jim Rusling, FAA Aeronautical Center
Oklahoma City, Ok (405) 954-6030
These are my personal views only.

Post by David Co » Sun, 11 Feb 1996 04:00:00

> I don't know if anyone can help me, but I have been experiencing a
> VERY annoying problem on my Advance P-90.  Periodically, my PC will go
> out and check the CD-ROM drive and the hard disk.  You can tell this
> because the lights on these drives light up and while it is checking
> my mouse freezes and all terminal activity (typing, clicking, etc) is
> suspended until the check is complete.  These interrupts last about 5
> to 10 seconds.  These occur with a frequency of -oh- every 5 minutes
> at times to every 30 seconds other times....

I noticed the same thing happening a couple of days ago (NT3.51+SP3 on
a NEC laptop with an adaptec SCSI PCMCIA card-attached Panasonic portable
CD-ROM).  Went through the same experiments you did, and couln't figure
it out.  After I rebooted, it hasn't happened again, and I *think* I've
been using the same combinations of applications.  Does yours stop doing
that (for a while, at least) after you shutdown and reboot?

Anybody know how to figure out what's happening?

--

R & D and Support +1-410-489-9521, fax +1-410-489-9512

Help - NT system continually checks CD-ROM drive and hard drive

Post by Markus Web » Sun, 11 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Well, you're lucky if your machine recovers at all...

I frequently had this problem running CompuServe's CSNav. After
* up the phone, something was frantic to access one or both of
my CD drives -- indefinitely.

Nothing in the event logs. No way to tell if the SCSI bus was
perpetually resetting itself. And the problem only occured if CSNav
was about.

I'm phasing out CSNav in favor of Virtual Access, it's a much nicer
package anyway, if even less intuitive to use :-)

Cheers
-Markus
---
Markus Weber

"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an
 infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even
 considering if there are men on base."

Help - NT system continually checks CD-ROM drive and hard drive

Post by Frank P. Mackowic » Tue, 13 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Lisa,

I _had_ an identical problem which included also an occasional blue screen
crash.  I also had mucho ID=9 events (scsi device timeout) in the event log.
Bottom line.....my system builder installed my scsi hard drive, and its recent
replacement, with termination enabled even though it is mid-bus.  I fought
this d___ problem for 9 months, found the screwup 3 weeks ago, and all is now
well.  Take out all of your scsi devices and visually inspect each for proper
termination options.

brgds....Frank
+----------------------+-----------------------------------------------+
|  Frank P. Mackowick  | SkyComm, Inc.                                 |
|    Chief Engineer    | 1213 Fairfield Lane, Crownsville MD 21032, USA|

|                      | Work/ Tel:+1.410.923.6173  Fax:+1.410.923.0315|
| "No disclaimers ---  | Home/ Tel:+1.410.923.2373                     |
|  I own the company!" | ICBM/ 39 03N  76 38W                          |
+----------------------+-----------------------------------------------+

Help - NT system continually checks CD-ROM drive and hard drive

Post by Jan Johanss » Wed, 14 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>(I appologize for cross posting to 4 groups, but since I don't know
>what the problem is, I am not sure which group to post to)
>I don't know if anyone can help me, but I have been experiencing a
>VERY annoying problem on my Advance P-90.  Periodically, my PC will go
>out and check the CD-ROM drive and the hard disk.  You can tell this
>because the lights on these drives light up and while it is checking
>my mouse freezes and all terminal activity (typing, clicking, etc) is
>suspended until the check is complete.  These interrupts last about 5
>to 10 seconds.  These occur with a frequency of -oh- every 5 minutes
>at times to every 30 seconds other times.

[SNIP]

Below taken from MS knowledgebase (it saya AIC78xx but it goes for
every SCSI controller)

Some SCSI Disk Drives Generate Unneeded Error Messages
Article ID: Q139357
Revision Date: 15-NOV-1995

 - Microsoft Windows NT Workstation versions 3.5 and 3.51
 - Microsoft Windows NT Server versions 3.5 and 3.51

SYMPTOMS

When you start your computer running Windows NT and using a SCSI hard
disk, an error message similar to the following appears in your system
log (as
seen with Event Viewer):

   Date: 11/2/95                    Event ID: 9
   Time: 10:02:04 AM                Source: aic78xx
   User: N/A                        Type: Error
   Computer: Machine1               Category: None

   The device, \Device\ScsiPort0, did not respond within the timeout
period

These error messages often occur at boot time. You can identify when
the error message is issued by comparing the SCSI timeout event to
when your
computer was restarted. Usually, one of the first few messages in the
system log is a message similar to the following:

   The Event log service was started.

If the SCSI timeout message occurred at boot time, the date and time
of the log service starting should be very close to the timeout
message (within
seconds).

CAUSE

The problem is that the SCSI disk class driver (SCSIDISK.SYS) is
looking for SCSI drives that need special handling. SCSIDISK.SYS
issues a SCSI Mode
Sense command. The timeout value on the I/O is set to zero, which
means that there is a chance the I/O may time out before the drive can
complete the
operation. If the timeout occurs, an error message is logged.

Disk drives that are known to cause timeout messages include, but are
not limit to, the following:

   TOSHIBA  MK538FB
   CONNER   CP3500
   OLIVETTI CP3500
   SyQuest  SQ5110
   SEAGATE  ST41601N
   SEAGATE  ST3655N
   SEAGATE  ST3390N
   SEAGATE  ST12550N
   FUJITSU  M2652S-512
   MAXTOR   MXT-540SL

RESOLUTION

For the drives in question, these timeout message are not serious if
they occur at system boot. However, if several of these messages
appear in the
system log during normal system operation, they should be
investigated.

STATUS

Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Windows NT version
3.5. We are researching this problem and will post new information in
the Microsoft
Knowledge Base as it becomes available.

MORE INFORMATION

When examining the error message in the Event Log, the last four ULONG
values in the Data section represent the SCSI PathId, SCSI TargetId,
SCSI Lun,
and a SCSIPORT ErrorCode. Normally, the PathId, TargetId, and Lun
would help identify a particular SCSI device. However, in this
situation, PathId,
TargetId, and Lun are always zero, and the ErrorCode is always
00000007.

The Data at offset 0x28 would look similar to this:

   0028: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
   0030: 00 00 00 00 07 00 00 00

So if a system has a drive mentioned previously and the system logs an
error message, the error message will always indicate PathId,
TargetId, and Lun
zero, regardless of the true settings of the SCSI device.

Help - NT system continually checks CD-ROM drive and hard drive

Post by Bruce Shainwa » Thu, 15 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Lisa,

        You don't say whether you are using a SCSI or IDE CD-ROM drive, and
you also don't say what version of NT you are running (3.1/3.5/35.1).
If you are running WinNT 3.51 and your CD-ROM is IDE/EIDE then you
might need to get a newer version of the ATAPI driver
(sysroot\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ATAPI.SYS). I ran into this problem and was
told by our site IT that there is a new driver. Once this was
installed, the problem went away.

                                Regards,

                                Bruce Shainwald

Post by Dr. & Mrs. Kenneth D. Matn » Sat, 17 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>Lisa,

>        You don't say whether you are using a SCSI or IDE CD-ROM drive, and
>you also don't say what version of NT you are running (3.1/3.5/35.1).
>If you are running WinNT 3.51 and your CD-ROM is IDE/EIDE then you
>might need to get a newer version of the ATAPI driver
>(sysroot\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ATAPI.SYS). I ran into this problem and was
>told by our site IT that there is a new driver. Once this was
>installed, the problem went away.

>                                Regards,

>                                Bruce Shainwald

>>(I appologize for cross posting to 4 groups, but since I don't know
>>what the problem is, I am not sure which group to post to)

>>I don't know if anyone can help me, but I have been experiencing a
>>VERY annoying problem on my Advance P-90.  Periodically, my PC will go
>>out and check the CD-ROM drive and the hard disk.  You can tell this
>>because the lights on these drives light up and while it is checking
>>my mouse freezes and all terminal activity (typing, clicking, etc) is
>>suspended until the check is complete.  These interrupts last about 5
>>to 10 seconds.  These occur with a frequency of -oh- every 5 minutes
>>at times to every 30 seconds other times.

>>I have not been able to account for an application that may be causing
>>this.  I have tried closing down applications one at a time to test to
>>see if a given application is causing this - to no avail.

>>This will happen if I have CD in the CD drive, if I don't have a CD in
>>the drive, or if I have the CD drive door open. If I have a CD in
>>there, I believe these interrupts reset the head -- for instance, if I
>>am listening to music, I hear a hit and the CD either resets to track
>>1, or to the start of the next track.

>>I have tried running virus programs (the PC is clean as far as the
>>utilities can tell).  I have searched for diagnostic programs to run,
>>but cannot seem to find any on my NT station.

>>Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

>>Lisa Reed

>>AT&T Bell Labs

Lisa,

You also do not mention that you are running MS Office for Windows 95.
However, if you are, there are "Find Fast Indexer" and "Fast Start" utilities
that are installed (normally) in your Startup folder.  These execute
automatically upon login.  The Indexer updates its (hidden) index files
periodically and if you do not have a fast, asynchronous, I/O subsystem...I
can guess that it might get to be annoying.  If this description meets your
system, just move these icons to another folder and reboot your system.  The
periodic searches should discontinue.  You do not need them to run Office
and you will have to determine any performance degradation/enhancement.
--
Dr. Ken

1. Windows thinks CD-ROM drive is hard drive

I have 2 had drives on my primary IDE bus, and 2 optical storage drives on my
secondary IDE bus.  Both pairs have a designated master and slave.  The bios
recognizes each device correctly.  Windows device manager shows the hard
drives under Disk Drives and the optical drives under DVD/CD-ROM Drives.

The issue is that Windows Explorer lists the CD-ROM drives under Hard Drives
and the LOW DISK SPACE warning bubble pops up (when a CD is inserted).

Help!

2. Internet Explorer on Tablet PC questions

3. cd-rom drive and hard drive both share 0 0 location on bus after widows updat

4. Microsoft Digital Sound System 80

5. CD-ROM drive letter after addition of hard drive

6. System Restore substitute

7. need NT 3.51 CD-ROM driver for gateway 2k 3 CD-ROM drive

8. Streaming Formats

9. CD-ROM and DVD-ROM drives do not recognize CD-ROMs and DVD-Roms

10. cd drive f (DVD/CD-ROM) and cd drive e (CD-RW)

11. DVD-ROM Drive appears as CD-ROM Drive in My Computer

12. o hard drive o hard drive where art thou hard drive?

13. 2 hard drives and 1 cd rom drive