Advantage of MFC Doc/View model for MDI app

Advantage of MFC Doc/View model for MDI app

Post by George JS Sh » Sat, 30 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Hello,

I'm currently looking to port our legacy Win16 SDK MDI app to Win32
using MFC 3.x under VC++ 2.2.  I understand that MFC 2.x support
something called Doc/View concept.  It seems that i have two choices
under MFC in writing MDI app.  I can either use the AFX support for
MDI or go with AFX support for document & views.  However, it seems
that the AppWizard will only generate Doc/View MDI app.

Could someone explain simply what Doc/View model will do for you that
straight MFC MDI can't?  My application is a Window based de*
program with multiple child windows.  For instance, i would have the
source window, register window, disassembled window, watch window,
stack window, and data dump window.  It seems Doc/View model is only
good if user is allowed to make direct editing on each of the child
window, print directly from it, and save.  However, this de*
program doesn't allow those.  Any change to each child window pops up
a change dialog which then the window content changes.

Well, i would appreciate any feedback since i need to choose the MDI
development path pretty quick.  Thanks again.

Thanks everyone...

-gshin

1. Converting OWL doc/view to MFC doc/view

Hi,

I am trying to convert an OWL doc/view application to an MFC doc/view
application, and I don't know how to handle user defined messages.

In OWL I do as follows:

const int vnMyEvent = vnCustomBase + 1;
NOTIFY_SIG(vnMyEvent, TPoint&)
#define EV_VN_MYEVENT VN_DEFINE(vnMyEvent, VnMyEvent, pointer)

class TMyView : TView {
public:
void EvMyEvent (TPoint& point);

DECLARE_RESPONSE_TABLE(TMyView);

DEFINE_RESPONSE_TABLE1(TMyView, TView)
EV_VN_LBUTTONDOWN,
END_RESPONSE_TABLE;

TMyView::EvMyEvent(TPoint& point)
{

I have seen the example in the MFC FAQ 4.0, but here the parameters are
not unpacked.

In your answer please keep in mind that I am completely new to MFC
programming.

/Morten

2. Does WIN95 & 98 Software Work on XP?

3. opengl enabled view crashing in nt2000 MFC MDI VC 6.0 app

4. DUN PPP callback w/ UNIX server

5. Change a views icon in MFC 4.2 MDI App

6. Whiting's MOAWL (Mother Of All Wish Lists)

7. Visual C++6 MFC MDI Multiple views in separate MDI child windows

8. WINDOWS UPDATE HANGS AT 0%

9. HELP: WM_HELPINFO and MFC Doc View App

10. How do you remove a doc from a doc/view app? . . .

11. Doc-View SDI App --> Dialog App ?

12. Non-View window in a doc/view app

13. How do I close single view in multi-view, multi-doc app