Help! Many problems w/ Win98

Post by Allen & Linda Tyle » Thu, 08 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Help!  I am having major problems that I hope someone can help me with.
I have the machine described below.  I had no trouble at all with it
until I installed a 10 gig hard disk recently.  I Fdisked the 10 gig
drive as FAT32 and left the 4 gig drive set up as FAT16, with two
partitions.  I have checked and rechecked the jumper settings and the
BIOS settings many times and am satisfied that they are OK.

Since installing the 10 gig drive, I have had nothing but trouble.

1.  The computer inexplicably reboots frequently, causing loss of work.
This usually has happened when I am doing Windows Explorer operations,
but twice it has happened when I was running Norton Anti-Virus.

2.  On two occasions, this rebooting has led to disastrous results.  The
first time, the directories on C: and E: were destroyed.  The second
time, the root on C: was wiped out.  I tried to format C: and discovered
that it had reverted to FAT16.

3.  It is almost impossible to set the mouse so that movement is uniform
between applications.

4.  I have reinstalled Win98 several times, and when I start up I am
nagged to insert the Win98 CD.  I never had this problem before.

I will be _so_ grateful if anyone can give me any ideas about these
problems.

Thanks,

Allen Tyler

Dell Dimension XPS M200s
64 Mb memory
ATA Controller 0:
Western Digital 10 gig drive  set up as FAT32 (C:) master
Western Digital  2 gig drive formatted as FAT16 (D: and E) slave
ATA Controller 1:
Toshiba CD-ROM XM-6102B (H:)
Iomega ATA ZIP drive (E:)
Supra Express 56I Sp Modem PnP
S3 ViRGE-DX/GXPCI graphics
HP LJ5L on LPT1
HP 882C on USB

Loaded at startup:
Norton SystemWorks 2.0 (all parts)
Deluxe CD Player
MS Task Scheduler
HP LJ Status software

Help! Many problems w/ Win98

Post by Bria » Thu, 08 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I had this same problem with a brand new HD.
It turned out to be a bad HD in my case.
To diagnosis this correctly, remove the drive and see if your computer
behaves. Unfortunately you will have to reload Windows to your old HD and
boot from it.

Good luck
Brian

Quote:

> Help!  I am having major problems that I hope someone can help me with.
> I have the machine described below.  I had no trouble at all with it
> until I installed a 10 gig hard disk recently.  I Fdisked the 10 gig
> drive as FAT32 and left the 4 gig drive set up as FAT16, with two
> partitions.  I have checked and rechecked the jumper settings and the
> BIOS settings many times and am satisfied that they are OK.

> Since installing the 10 gig drive, I have had nothing but trouble.

> 1.  The computer inexplicably reboots frequently, causing loss of work.
> This usually has happened when I am doing Windows Explorer operations,
> but twice it has happened when I was running Norton Anti-Virus.

> 2.  On two occasions, this rebooting has led to disastrous results.  The
> first time, the directories on C: and E: were destroyed.  The second
> time, the root on C: was wiped out.  I tried to format C: and discovered
> that it had reverted to FAT16.

> 3.  It is almost impossible to set the mouse so that movement is uniform
> between applications.

> 4.  I have reinstalled Win98 several times, and when I start up I am
> nagged to insert the Win98 CD.  I never had this problem before.

> I will be _so_ grateful if anyone can give me any ideas about these
> problems.

> Thanks,

> Allen Tyler

> Dell Dimension XPS M200s
> 64 Mb memory
> ATA Controller 0:
> Western Digital 10 gig drive  set up as FAT32 (C:) master
> Western Digital  2 gig drive formatted as FAT16 (D: and E) slave
> ATA Controller 1:
> Toshiba CD-ROM XM-6102B (H:)
> Iomega ATA ZIP drive (E:)
> Supra Express 56I Sp Modem PnP
> S3 ViRGE-DX/GXPCI graphics
> HP LJ5L on LPT1
> HP 882C on USB

> Loaded at startup:
> Norton SystemWorks 2.0 (all parts)
> Deluxe CD Player
> MS Task Scheduler
> HP LJ Status software

Help! Many problems w/ Win98

Post by Warren Straszhei » Tue, 13 Jun 2000 04:00:00

One issue may be the disk controller. Old controllers were limited in
the size of disk that they would support. We ordered a 10 GB drive but
had to use the disk extender software that came with the disk to get our
3-year-old controller to recognize the full disk. I think it was limited
by the old 8 GB barrier. I have a page bookmarked that describes the
various limitations, but that may be more details than you want to know.

If you use the disk extender software, it has to be loaded onto your
boot drive. I don't think you can swap drives around willy-nilly. If you
don't get their boot up message about the extender software, then it is
not loaded. If it is not loaded, accesses get misdirected and you could
end up rewriting a section of the disk corrupting it, which sounds like
what you have encountered.

Warren S.

Quote:

> Help!  I am having major problems that I hope someone can help me with.
> I have the machine described below.  I had no trouble at all with it
> until I installed a 10 gig hard disk recently.  I Fdisked the 10 gig
> drive as FAT32 and left the 4 gig drive set up as FAT16, with two
> partitions.  I have checked and rechecked the jumper settings and the
> BIOS settings many times and am satisfied that they are OK.

> Since installing the 10 gig drive, I have had nothing but trouble.

> 1.  The computer inexplicably reboots frequently, causing loss of work.
> This usually has happened when I am doing Windows Explorer operations,
> but twice it has happened when I was running Norton Anti-Virus.

> 2.  On two occasions, this rebooting has led to disastrous results.  The
> first time, the directories on C: and E: were destroyed.  The second
> time, the root on C: was wiped out.  I tried to format C: and discovered
> that it had reverted to FAT16.

> 3.  It is almost impossible to set the mouse so that movement is uniform
> between applications.

> 4.  I have reinstalled Win98 several times, and when I start up I am
> nagged to insert the Win98 CD.  I never had this problem before.

> I will be _so_ grateful if anyone can give me any ideas about these
> problems.

> Thanks,

> Allen Tyler

> Dell Dimension XPS M200s
> 64 Mb memory
> ATA Controller 0:
> Western Digital 10 gig drive  set up as FAT32 (C:) master
> Western Digital  2 gig drive formatted as FAT16 (D: and E) slave
> ATA Controller 1:
> Toshiba CD-ROM XM-6102B (H:)
> Iomega ATA ZIP drive (E:)
> Supra Express 56I Sp Modem PnP
> S3 ViRGE-DX/GXPCI graphics
> HP LJ5L on LPT1
> HP 882C on USB

> Loaded at startup:
> Norton SystemWorks 2.0 (all parts)
> Deluxe CD Player
> MS Task Scheduler
> HP LJ Status software

1. help help help.....problem installing Win98

hi:
    Recently I bought a new hard drive(2.1 GB Quantum Internal Drive).I
tried to install Win98 from my CD-Rom, it always says the following:
      "Please wait while setup initializes.
      Scanning system registry.....
      Cannot create a temporary directory.
      If you have HPFS or NTFS installed on your hard drive,
      you will need to create an MS-DOS boot partition to set up windows."
I also tried to partition the drive but it says NO FIXED DISKS PRESENT.
Does anybody know should I do to install Win98 on my PC? I will be very
appreciated.
                Thank you so muck.....

2. Group Policy Editor Snap in failed

3. HELP!! Win98 to Win98 SE

4. VPN

5. Help: Adding an Win98 (english) to Win98(Japanese)

6. Error Message, how do i view this movie that was sent to me

7. Problemas Win98/NT - Problems Win98/NT

8. Disconnections

9. Problem playing VCD's (in win98) and about .DAT extension, please help.

10. Help! Problems of dual boot (WinXP and Win98)

11. Problem with Win98 setup !! Please help me

12. Win98 Help Indexing problem

13. HP660C printer and Win98 Problem - Help