2 network card help please please please :-(

2 network card help please please please :-(

Post by Dean Thoma » Fri, 21 Jul 2000 04:00:00

G'day all,

I run a LANParty for some local kids here in sunny Queensland, Australia
(anywhere from 40-80 people attend). I don't know  much about NT Server, but
I have managed to setup a NT server as the DHCP server which assigns
addresses from 192.168.1.21 too 192.168.1.126 I have also setup Microsoft
Proxy server just in case some one needs to download some patch etc... btw
it is also setup as the Primary Domain Server, so everyone logs on to a NT
Domain

The question is..... On this DHCP Server I run a 'Half-Life CounterStrike
Server'. However I would like to add another network card and then run
another 'Half-Life TeamFortress Server' with a different IP address.

I have therefore installed the second card and given it the address of
192.168.1.21 and have enabled IP forwarding on both cards. I have also
installed the service 'RIP'. I can ping the new card from the server, but
none of the clients can ping this new card.

Please can someone point me to a web page where I can get some help (well
relating to the network setup, that is ......:-P

2 network card help please please please :-(

Post by Danny Forti » Fri, 21 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Dean,

I am not sure I understand this.  If you have 2 different nics and they are both
on the same subnet as the clients, and all have different IP's, then I can't
imagine why you'd have any trouble.  I can't even see the need for the RIP and
IP swapping.  If all the nics plug into a single central hub, that is.  You
could run all of this in a workstation setup, and it would work fine.  I might
be missing something, though.  What am I not getting?

> G'day all,

> I run a LANParty for some local kids here in sunny Queensland, Australia
> (anywhere from 40-80 people attend). I don't know  much about NT Server, but
> I have managed to setup a NT server as the DHCP server which assigns
> addresses from 192.168.1.21 too 192.168.1.126 I have also setup Microsoft
> Proxy server just in case some one needs to download some patch etc... btw
> it is also setup as the Primary Domain Server, so everyone logs on to a NT
> Domain

> The question is..... On this DHCP Server I run a 'Half-Life CounterStrike
> Server'. However I would like to add another network card and then run
> another 'Half-Life TeamFortress Server' with a different IP address.

> I have therefore installed the second card and given it the address of
> 192.168.1.21 and have enabled IP forwarding on both cards. I have also
> installed the service 'RIP'. I can ping the new card from the server, but
> none of the clients can ping this new card.

> Please can someone point me to a web page where I can get some help (well
> relating to the network setup, that is ......:-P

  dfortin.vcf
< 1K Download

2 network card help please please please :-(

Post by Clay Calver » Fri, 21 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>G'day all,

>I run a LANParty for some local kids here in sunny Queensland, Australia
>(anywhere from 40-80 people attend). I don't know  much about NT Server, but
>I have managed to setup a NT server as the DHCP server which assigns
>addresses from 192.168.1.21 too 192.168.1.126 I have also setup Microsoft
>Proxy server just in case some one needs to download some patch etc... btw
>it is also setup as the Primary Domain Server, so everyone logs on to a NT
>Domain

>The question is..... On this DHCP Server I run a 'Half-Life CounterStrike
>Server'. However I would like to add another network card and then run
>another 'Half-Life TeamFortress Server' with a different IP address.

>I have therefore installed the second card and given it the address of
>192.168.1.21 and have enabled IP forwarding on both cards. I have also
>installed the service 'RIP'. I can ping the new card from the server, but
>none of the clients can ping this new card.

>Please can someone point me to a web page where I can get some help (well
>relating to the network setup, that is ......:-P

Hmmm.  You should not put two network cards on the same subnet, unless
they have some load balancing, or failover or similar capabilities.

Open a command prompt on this machine and type Route Print.

Technically, you are only supposed to have one connection to the
network that you are on.  In this case you have two, which doesn't
work well.

Is there any reason why you can't put both Half-Life servers on the
same network card, other than performance of course?

Clay Calvert
Replace the "W" in my e-mail address with an "L" to reply.

Post by Dean Thoma » Sat, 22 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> >G'day all,

> >I run a LANParty for some local kids here in sunny Queensland, Australia
> >(anywhere from 40-80 people attend). I don't know  much about NT Server,
but
> >I have managed to setup a NT server as the DHCP server which assigns
> >addresses from 192.168.1.21 too 192.168.1.126 I have also setup Microsoft
> >Proxy server just in case some one needs to download some patch etc...
btw
> >it is also setup as the Primary Domain Server, so everyone logs on to a
NT
> >Domain

> >The question is..... On this DHCP Server I run a 'Half-Life CounterStrike
> >Server'. However I would like to add another network card and then run
> >another 'Half-Life TeamFortress Server' with a different IP address.

> >I have therefore installed the second card and given it the address of
> >192.168.1.21 and have enabled IP forwarding on both cards. I have also
> >installed the service 'RIP'. I can ping the new card from the server, but
> >none of the clients can ping this new card.

> >Please can someone point me to a web page where I can get some help (well
> >relating to the network setup, that is ......:-P

> Hmmm.  You should not put two network cards on the same subnet, unless
> they have some load balancing, or failover or similar capabilities.

> Open a command prompt on this machine and type Route Print.

> Technically, you are only supposed to have one connection to the
> network that you are on.  In this case you have two, which doesn't
> work well.

> Is there any reason why you can't put both Half-Life servers on the
> same network card, other than performance of course?

I could run a second half-life server with the same IP address but through
another port. However, the half-life server browser software only enables
you to see one port.Therefore more clients would not see both games :-(

Do I have any other options apart from run a different machine on the
network with the second half-life server?

2 network card help please please please :-(

Post by Danny Forti » Sat, 22 Jul 2000 04:00:00

...but back in our no money days, we created "poor-man routers" by installing
several NIC's into a single workstation and directing traffic through them via
routing tables.  Granted, the subnets were different (hence the need of the
router).  I wonder how running 2 versions of the game on a single "routing"
server would work.  You would need separate Hardware profiles on the
workstations to direct which subnet you logged into, but this seems to be a
small inconvenience.  I do not offer this as a solution, simply a suggestion, so
please! no flames.  ;0)

What kind of a monster game server do you have that will run 2 different
Half-Life Hosts at the same time with no performance hit??  You rule!

DAnny

Post by Clay Calver » Sat, 22 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>> >G'day all,

>> >I run a LANParty for some local kids here in sunny Queensland, Australia
>> >(anywhere from 40-80 people attend). I don't know  much about NT Server,
>but
>> >I have managed to setup a NT server as the DHCP server which assigns
>> >addresses from 192.168.1.21 too 192.168.1.126 I have also setup Microsoft
>> >Proxy server just in case some one needs to download some patch etc...
>btw
>> >it is also setup as the Primary Domain Server, so everyone logs on to a
>NT
>> >Domain

>> >The question is..... On this DHCP Server I run a 'Half-Life CounterStrike
>> >Server'. However I would like to add another network card and then run
>> >another 'Half-Life TeamFortress Server' with a different IP address.

>> >I have therefore installed the second card and given it the address of
>> >192.168.1.21 and have enabled IP forwarding on both cards. I have also
>> >installed the service 'RIP'. I can ping the new card from the server, but
>> >none of the clients can ping this new card.

>> >Please can someone point me to a web page where I can get some help (well
>> >relating to the network setup, that is ......:-P

>> Hmmm.  You should not put two network cards on the same subnet, unless
>> they have some load balancing, or failover or similar capabilities.

>> Open a command prompt on this machine and type Route Print.

>> Technically, you are only supposed to have one connection to the
>> network that you are on.  In this case you have two, which doesn't
>> work well.

>> Is there any reason why you can't put both Half-Life servers on the
>> same network card, other than performance of course?

>I could run a second half-life server with the same IP address but through
>another port. However, the half-life server browser software only enables
>you to see one port.Therefore more clients would not see both games :-(

>Do I have any other options apart from run a different machine on the
>network with the second half-life server?

Have you tried adding multiple IP addresses to your network card?  Use
the Advanced button in the TCP/IP settings.

I'm sure Half-Life does not rely on NetBIOS, so you don't have to
worry about name resoultion issues.  You are setting this up with IP
address, and not name, right?

Clay Calvert
Replace the "W" in my e-mail address with an "L" to reply.

2 network card help please please please :-(

Post by Calvin N. Hobbe » Sat, 22 Jul 2000 04:00:00

As long as your on the same subnet, you won't be needing the RIP protocol.
There are some bugs in that thing so try to uninstall it and see what
happens.

Did you block out or reserve the 192.168.1.21 address from the DHCP server?
Reserve the address of the the other server NIC as well.  Win NT4 DHCP does
not make any checks for duplicate IP addresses.  They fixed it in Win 2000.

For windows technical questions, the technet site is the most comprehensive:

www.microsoft.com/technet

Quote:> G'day all,

Post by Dean Thoma » Sun, 23 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Australia
Server,
> >but
Microsoft
> >btw
> >NT

CounterStrike

> >> Hmmm.  You should not put two network cards on the same subnet, unless
> >> they have some load balancing, or failover or similar capabilities.

> >> Open a command prompt on this machine and type Route Print.

> >> Technically, you are only supposed to have one connection to the
> >> network that you are on.  In this case you have two, which doesn't
> >> work well.

> >> Is there any reason why you can't put both Half-Life servers on the
> >> same network card, other than performance of course?

> >I could run a second half-life server with the same IP address but
through
> >another port. However, the half-life server browser software only enables
> >you to see one port.Therefore more clients would not see both games :-(

> >Do I have any other options apart from run a different machine on the
> >network with the second half-life server?

> Have you tried adding multiple IP addresses to your network card?  Use
> the Advanced button in the TCP/IP settings.

> I'm sure Half-Life does not rely on NetBIOS, so you don't have to
> worry about name resoultion issues.  You are setting this up with IP
> address, and not name, right?

Yes that is right, I am using IP addresses. I shall try adding a second
address to the first card. thanks

1. HELP PLEASE HELP PLEASE HELP PLEASE

Hello,

I am having a problem which I don't quite understand.

I recently used my COMPAQ RECOVERY CD and restarted my
computer back to it's original factory settings.

Since then, when I got back on the Internet I can no
longer play on Yahoo games. (www.yahoo.com/games) It
gives me 4 reasons:

1) You are behind a firewall.
2) You are not connected to the internet.
3) The server is down.
4) You have a stale page in your cache.

I was connected to the Internet, the server was not down,
I have erased all of the pages in my cache, so that leads
me to one conclusion, the firewall.

Also, I have been unable to go into chatrooms, I can use
the Yahoo chatrooms, but at the start of a chatroom it
says "You cannot use Voice in this chat because you are
behind a firewall" or something very similar to that.
Some other chatrooms do not work. (www.rimestimes.com,
www.leannfans.com)

I have not done anything to change anything as far as I
know, can someone please help me?

I have tried checking the Firewall box on my connections
in the `Advanced` tab and it still doesn't work either
way.

Can someone tell me what I need to do, in a simple way if
you can.

Thanx.

~Michael~

2. Looping MIDI FIles in Medai Player

3. Poledit, Please read, Please, Please, Please

4. doubles when I send email

5. please please please help!!!!!

6. CONSUMER ALERT - Beware of Eucalypt Software - Makers of Autopost & Rocketfuel!!!

7. -->PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me with Audio Logic 2.6<--

8. Multihomed WNT4.0: How to set default adapter?

9. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP

10. Please Please Please Help

11. Please please please help!

12. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE HELP

13. Desperately needing HELP please, please, please......