CD ROM CD-ROM DRIVE LETTER

Post by Carl Reine » Tue, 04 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Hi,
 Is there any way to force the CD-ROM drive to have a specific
drive letter ?
 All My files and scripts, etc are set for the CD-ROM beihg on
J:.
I had been able to do this with the DOS drivers but can't find
out how to do it under NT.
Thanks,
Chris

--
Noonoorootoo

CD ROM CD-ROM DRIVE LETTER

Post by Dan Per » Wed, 05 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,
> Is there any way to force the CD-ROM drive to have a specific
>drive letter ?
> All My files and scripts, etc are set for the CD-ROM beihg on
>J:.
>I had been able to do this with the DOS drivers but can't find
>out how to do it under NT.
>Thanks,
>Chris

>--
>Noonoorootoo

Go into "Disk Administrator and you will be able to juggle the drive
letters any way you like.

Dan

CD ROM CD-ROM DRIVE LETTER

Post by james jursc » Wed, 05 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> Hi,
>  Is there any way to force the CD-ROM drive to have a specific
> drive letter ?
>  All My files and scripts, etc are set for the CD-ROM beihg on
> J:.
> I had been able to do this with the DOS drivers but can't find
> out how to do it under NT.

Disk Administrator | click on cdrom | tools | assign drive
letter | pick your drive letter.

-james

--

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
james jursch                  IS Desktop Technology Group

(408) 526-8843 Real surfers do it in the Ocean, not on the Net
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

CD ROM CD-ROM DRIVE LETTER

Post by Dennis Miel » Wed, 05 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>  Is there any way to force the CD-ROM drive to have a specific
> drive letter ?
>  All My files and scripts, etc are set for the CD-ROM beihg on
> J:.
> I had been able to do this with the DOS drivers but can't find
> out how to do it under NT.

In Disk Administrator there is a menu selection for setting the drive
letter for CD ROMs.

CD ROM CD-ROM DRIVE LETTER

Post by JD Compute » Thu, 06 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,
> Is there any way to force the CD-ROM drive to have a specific
>drive letter ?
> All My files and scripts, etc are set for the CD-ROM beihg on
>J:.
>I had been able to do this with the DOS drivers but can't find
>out how to do it under NT.
>Thanks,
>Chris

>--
>Noonoorootoo

Go to the Disk Administrator. Go to the pulldown "tools" then click
CD-Rom Drive letters...

CD ROM CD-ROM DRIVE LETTER

Post by W95NT4 Technolo » Thu, 06 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,
> Is there any way to force the CD-ROM drive to have a specific
>drive letter ?
> All My files and scripts, etc are set for the CD-ROM beihg on
>J:.
>I had been able to do this with the DOS drivers but can't find
>out how to do it under NT.
>Thanks,
>Chris

>--
>Noonoorootoo

NT Beta 1314 2 still has Disk Administrator:
Highlight your current CD-ROM drive and reassign a drive letter. That's all there is to it.
If you do dual boot with windows95, you must change CD-ROM drive again from
System ..device Manater..highlight CD-ROM and assign letters. If you have no
letters avaialble, edit Autoexec bat file and insert lastdrive=Z
and reboot it again.

It is better to assign CD-ROM something like R or S or Even Z so if you change
partions for example, C drive divided into 4 as in CDEF... you never have to
change CD-ROM Drive letters.

Regards

CD ROM CD-ROM DRIVE LETTER

Post by Shimon Dek » Thu, 06 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>Hi,
> Is there any way to force the CD-ROM drive to have a specific
>drive letter ?
> All My files and scripts, etc are set for the CD-ROM beihg on
>J:.
>I had been able to do this with the DOS drivers but can't find
>out how to do it under NT.
>Thanks,
>Chris
>--
>Noonoorootoo

Yes, Use Disk Administrator/Tools/CD Rom drive letter...
Shimon

CD ROM CD-ROM DRIVE LETTER

Post by Joachim Schmi » Thu, 06 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Hallo !

zum Thema "CD ROM CD-ROM DRIVE LETTER":

Quote:> Is there any way to force the CD-ROM drive to have a specific
>drive letter ?

Move the Disks which own the name you want to have for another
drive. Possibly it is necessary to restart NT to really get the
name free (first partition in my system was called "d" and I had
to change the name AND reboot the system to make the change
really happen) and then give it to the device you want to.

ciao, Joe

*********************  Joachim Schmidt  *******************

## CrossPoint v3.02 R ##

CD ROM CD-ROM DRIVE LETTER

Post by Frederick Pa » Fri, 07 Jun 1996 04:00:00

about subject "CD ROM CD-ROM DRIVE LETTER"
in Area /comp/os/ms-windows/networking/tcp-ip ...

Quote:>  Is there any way to force the CD-ROM drive to have a specific
> drive letter ?
>  All My files and scripts, etc are set for the CD-ROM beihg on
> J:.
> I had been able to do this with the DOS drivers but can't find
> out how to do it under NT.

Just open "Administrative Tools", "Disk Administrator", Menu "Tools",
there you go ...

C U around!
 __
|_

1. Too much money? Get married!
2. Even contact lenses don't fight loneliness ...

## CrossPoint v3.11 R ##

CD ROM CD-ROM DRIVE LETTER

Post by Andrew B. For » Tue, 11 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>>Hi,
>> Is there any way to force the CD-ROM drive to have a specific
>>drive letter ?
>> All My files and scripts, etc are set for the CD-ROM beihg on
>>J:.
>>I had been able to do this with the DOS drivers but can't find
>>out how to do it under NT.
>>Thanks,
>>Chris

>>--
>>Noonoorootoo
>Go into "Disk Administrator and you will be able to juggle the drive
>letters any way you like.
>Dan

That depends on the type of drives you have.  Yes a CD-ROM or hard
drive letter can be changed, but not removable drives (i.e. Syquest or
Zip).

                                        Andrew
disclaimer:
        These views are mine and not my employers

Post by Stephen McInerne » Wed, 12 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> >Go into Disk Administrator;Tools;CDROM Drive Letters

> >I believe you can also find this info stored in the registry
> >somewhere and change it there - I wouldn't recommended this
> >however...

> Hi Steve, I am interested in your reasons why not to change the
> CD-ROM-DRIVE letter.
> Thx for short answer to

Ah misunderstanding and confusion everywhere :-)
What I meant was that I would not recommend changing the CDROM
drive letters via the registry - mainly as it is so easy to do it
via Disk Administrator. By all means change 'em. I prefer
dropping them down around Z: and working back up. (On the server
anyway)
I have learnt the hard way from managing other OSs that if a tool
is available to manage system resources it is better to use it
than hacking config style files - the exception to this (I found)
is Solaris - the tools there are guaranteed to stuff your config
in a big way. (This is my own personal opinion based on my
experience of many frustrating hours trying to make the sys mgr
program do things - and resolving the problems in a couple of
minutes with the well applied use of vi.)

Steve

1. CD-ROM and DVD-ROM drives do not recognize CD-ROMs and DVD-Roms

Since approx. 1 week I have an extremely irritating
problem with my 2 CD-ROM drives and my DVD-ROM drive
(under Windows XP Professional), although I did not
(myself) change anything on my PC HW or SW installation.

My drives suddenly recognize (official as well as own-
written) data CD-ROMs and (official) DVD-ROMs only once
and only after they have first read an official audio-CD.

When I unload and load the drives with the same data CD-
ROM or DVD-ROM (that were perfectly accessible before the
unload), they either do not detect the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM
at all, or they recognize them as empty.

When I load an official audio-CD (which is always
correctly recognized and accessible without any problem),
unload it again and replace it with the earlier data CD-
ROM or DVD-ROM, the data CD-ROM is again recognized and
accessible (until the next unload). A DVD-ROM on the
other hand causes my PC to reboot, after which it is also
recognized and accessible (until the next unload).

Can this be due to a recent Windows XP Security update (I
have Windows Update set on automatic) or one or other
security setting in Windows XP that I may accidentally
have set?
Can I undo this?

Michel

2. 4.2 Microsoft Office Standard & xp

3. Assigned Drive Letters for CD-ROM and CD-R/RW Drives Won't Stick

4. Updates not working

5. CD-ROM drive will not read CD-ROM's anymore

6. using an applevision 850 display on a PC

7. CD-Rom causes CD-ROM drive to "hang"

8. CD-ROM drive will not read CD-ROM's anymore

9. need NT 3.51 CD-ROM driver for gateway 2k 3 CD-ROM drive

10. cd drive f (DVD/CD-ROM) and cd drive e (CD-RW)

11. I have two drives a cd-rom and nero cd burning rom

12. CD-ROM/DVD-ROM/CD-RW Drive problems