System Restore will not restore from set points

System Restore will not restore from set points

Post by Alic » Fri, 08 Nov 2002 10:20:43

I have a friend who cannot run the System Restore from
existing restore points. He gets a message saying it is
unable to restore, but no other information. The system
was able to do the restore until about July 02. Nothing
has been added to the system.

Sorry if this isn't enough info, but I have not seen the
computer yet.

Thank you for your assistance.

System Restore will not restore from set points

Post by Mike » Fri, 08 Nov 2002 12:33:30

The first thing you need to check is whether you have installed the System
Restore patch that is necessary for SR to be able to restore to checkpoints
made since 8 Sept 2001 since without this patch you will experience problems
very similar to those you report.

You can see whether you have installed the patch or not by checking the
version of the file smgr.dll in your windows\system folder.  If v4.90.0.3003
then you have updated but if v4.90.0.2533 you have not and need to do so at
once.  Note that when installing the patch it will flush your restore folder
and create a single new checkpoint on completion.  This cannot be avoided
since checkpoints created with the old version of smgr.dll cannot be restored.

It is also possible that at one stage you did install this patch but have
subsequently reinstalled Win Me over itself using the Win Me CD.  Doing this
causes the original, broken, version of smgr.dll to be reinstalled.

If required the patch can be obtained either via Win Me's AutoUpdate, the
Windows Update site or from the Microsoft Corporate Update site.  For more
details see MS KB Q 290700 - "Checkpoints That You Create After September 8,
2001 Do Not Restore Your Computer"
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q290700) which also
has a link to the patch.
--