NT-Sun 10 Meg/100 Meg networking problem -help

NT-Sun 10 Meg/100 Meg networking problem -help

Post by Shekar Manth » Wed, 18 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Thanks in advance for reading the post and all responses will be
appreciated.

We have an NT Server with two ethernet cards:
   1 10 Mb/s ethernet
  1 100 Mb/s ethernet

The NT Server connects to a Sun SparcStation on the 10 Mb/s network and
other NT workstations on the 100 mb/s ethernet.

The machine configurations and the corresponding IP addresses are as
follows:

NT Server
    10 Mb/s card    195.1.1.2
    100 Mb/s card  195.1.1.128

    Subnet mask for both is 255.255.255.0
    The default gateway is 195.1.1.128

Sun SparcStation
    10 Mb/s ethernet   195.1.1.3
    Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

NT Workstation
    100 Mb/s ethernet  195.1.1.129
    Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    Gateway  195.1.1.128

I am able to ping from the Sun to the NT server (the 10 meg card) and
vice-versa.
I am able to ping from the NT workstation (the 100 meg card address) and
vice versa.

I am not able to ping the sun or the 10 Meg card address from the
workstation
and am not able to ping the workstation or the 100 meg card from the
sun. In other words,

From the NT server:
    all addresses are ping'able

From the Sun:
    ping 195.1.1.2 works
    ping 195.1.1.128 fails
    ping 195.1.1.129 fails

From the workstation:
    ping 195.1.1.128 works
    ping 195.1.1.2 fails
    ping 195.1.1.3 fails

What am I doing wrong? Do I need a router service running on the NT
Server -- if so how do I enable it?

Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks.

--
Mantha Software, Inc.
Independent Software Consultants

NT-Sun 10 Meg/100 Meg networking problem -help

Post by Rex Tinche » Wed, 25 Jun 1997 04:00:00

On the server, under Control Panel - Network - Protocols -
TCP/IP Protocol - Properties - Routing, do you have "Enable IP
Forwarding" turned on?  If not, turn it on.

> We have an NT Server with two ethernet cards:
>    1 10 Mb/s ethernet
>   1 100 Mb/s ethernet

> The NT Server connects to a Sun SparcStation on the 10 Mb/s network and
> other NT workstations on the 100 mb/s ethernet.
> <snip>
> I am able to ping from the Sun to the NT server (the 10 meg card) and
> vice-versa.
> I am able to ping from the NT workstation (the 100 meg card address) and
> vice versa.

> I am not able to ping the sun or the 10 Meg card address from the
> workstation
> and am not able to ping the workstation or the 100 meg card from the
> sun.

<snip>
--
All opinions are mine and not those of my employer.

Spectra Research Inc. does research in software re-engineering,
electronic warfare, medical imaging, non-pyrotechnic military field
training devices ("flash and bang"), and IFF combat identification.
http://www.spectra-research.com/

1. Nino + CF 10 Meg card = 8 megs system ram?

I just put a 10 meg SANdisk ram card in my Nino, and when I go to Start >
System > Memory, I only see about 8 megs of ram in the slider - what's up
with that?

*                                                                      *
*       It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion           *
*       By the beans of java, my thoughts acquire speed                *
*       The hands acquire the shakes, the shakes become a warning      *
*       It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion           *

2. cd rom problems

3. Any benefit going from 512 Meg - 768 Meg???

4. Startup and shutdown times

5. Question: 20 meg to 32 meg worth the upgrade?

6. media player issues

7. 24 Meg RAM = 12.6 Meg RAM in WIN 95?!?!

8. NT-95 Compatability

9. Question: 20 meg to 32 meg... is it worth it?!

10. Offline File Folders - 10 meg limit Semaphore error

11. 10 meg mystery file!!!

12. FS: NINO 320 w/10 Meg CF