Configuring DHCP Server: Windows NT 4.0 Server - Windows 2000 Professional workstation

Configuring DHCP Server: Windows NT 4.0 Server - Windows 2000 Professional workstation

Post by Atlantic Bl » Thu, 14 Nov 2002 02:18:25

I am having some difficulties in getting a DHCP client to access the
Internet.  Currently, all the PCs in the LAN are using static IP
addresses and I want to gradually change all the client PCs from a
static IP to a dynamic IP.

I went through the necessary steps in adding and configuring the
Windows NT 4.0 server to provide the DHCP service which included
giving a pool valid IP addresses and a subnet mask in the Scope
Properties and then activating the scope.  The Windows NT 4.0 server
is also running WINS, Workstation, Simple TCP/IP Services, plus other
services as well.  Also this server is able to surf the Internet fine
and communicate to other devices on the LAN and has its own static IP
address.

Next I configured the Windows 2000 Professional client PC by changing
the settings in the Local Area Connection which involves changing the
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) properties to OBTAIN AN IP ADDRESS
AUTOMATICALLY and OBTAIN DNS SERVER SETTINGS AUTOMATICALLY.

After doing this, I check to see if I was able to communicate to the
LAN devices by using the PING command and the communication was
successful.  But once I try to access the Internet with Internet
Explorer, Opera or Mozilla, I am not able to gain access to the
Internet.

I check the server to view ACTIVE LEASES and saw the client IP address
and client computer name.  The server definitely gave the client PC an
IP address.  I also did a ipconfig and ipconfig /all to check the
client PC settings.
________________________
DHCP Enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
IP Adress: 192.x.x.x
Subnet Mask: 255.x.x.x
Default GateWay:
DHCP Server: 192.x.x.x
DNS Servers:
Primary WINS Server: 192.x.x.x
Lease obtained: Tuesday, November 12, 2002
Lease expires: Friday, November 15, 2002
___________________________

The Default Gateway field was blank and the DNS Servers field was
blank in the information above.

I also went into the server into the DHCP OPTIONS and added 003 Router
and 006 DNS Servers.  (I am not too familiar with DHCP OPTIONS.  Do I
need to configure these options?)

I was still unable to surf the Internet on the client PC.

If someone knows of way to properly configure DHCP, please let me
know.  Right now I am back to the static IP address.

Configuring DHCP Server: Windows NT 4.0 Server - Windows 2000 Professional workstation

Post by donol » Thu, 14 Nov 2002 04:25:47

Quote:

>I am having some difficulties in getting a DHCP client to access the
>Internet.  Currently, all the PCs in the LAN are using static IP
>addresses and I want to gradually change all the client PCs from a
>static IP to a dynamic IP.

snip
###################
You might be better off if you use the router to hand out DHCP
addresses.  I had an NT server w/ MS proxy server and there were
always problems.  After they switched to cable access, I installed a
router and  disabled the proxy server.  Then I was able to set the
gatway to the net for either static or DHCP addresses which gave me
control as to who had access and who didn't.  Everything worked a lot
better.  Since then everything has been upgraded to W2K, server and
workstations and I'm back to using DHCP on the server but that's
another story.
donoli.
###################

Configuring DHCP Server: Windows NT 4.0 Server - Windows 2000 Professional workstation

Post by Jeff Cochr » Thu, 14 Nov 2002 04:38:35

Quote:>Default GateWay:

How does the client know where to go for internet access without a
default gateway...?  :)

Jeff

Configuring DHCP Server: Windows NT 4.0 Server - Windows 2000 Professional workstation

Post by Fester Ranci » Thu, 14 Nov 2002 05:39:19

...and you have not included the DNS server information either :o)

FR

> >I am having some difficulties in getting a DHCP client to access the
> >Internet.  Currently, all the PCs in the LAN are using static IP
> >addresses and I want to gradually change all the client PCs from a
> >static IP to a dynamic IP.
> snip
> ###################
> You might be better off if you use the router to hand out DHCP
> addresses.  I had an NT server w/ MS proxy server and there were
> always problems.  After they switched to cable access, I installed a
> router and  disabled the proxy server.  Then I was able to set the
> gatway to the net for either static or DHCP addresses which gave me
> control as to who had access and who didn't.  Everything worked a lot
> better.  Since then everything has been upgraded to W2K, server and
> workstations and I'm back to using DHCP on the server but that's
> another story.
> donoli.
> ###################

1. Can I run a workstation with Windows 2000 Professional if Server is NT 4.0?

I run Windows NT 4.0 server.  All my clients are 98 SE machines.  I am
considering trying out Windows 2000 Professional on one of the workstations
and I am wondering if NT 4.0 will support Windows 2000 Professional.  If so,
how do I do it?  When I go to set up a client computer, the server asks me
if the client will be 95/98 workstation or an NT client.  Windows 2000
Professional is neither of these options.

2. Changing IP address in NT without boot

3. !! windows 2000 server with windows xp professional workstations

4. disable startup drivers

5. converting from "windows 2000 server" to "windows 2000 professional"

6. Quicktime MIME types ?

7. cannot find the DHCP server under Windows 2000 server

8. Find tab missing?

9. Windows NT 4.0 Print server and Windows 2000 clients

10. Windows 2000 and Windows NT 4.0 Server

11. Configuring NT 4.0 Workstation as an NT Web Server

12. Windows 2000 DHCP client with ISC DHCP server

13. Windows xp Professional in a Windows NT Server 4.0 Environment