Removing "My Network Places" from desktop

Removing "My Network Places" from desktop

Post by Hall » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 01:37:13

Is there any way of removing "My Network Places" from my desktop?

Removing "My Network Places" from desktop

Post by James M. Fishe » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 01:47:17

Use "TweakUI" which you can get here:
http://www.*techhelp.com/html/tutorials/tutorial.php/id/20

--
-----------------------------------
James M. Fisher

Quote:> Is there any way of removing "My Network Places" from my desktop?

Removing "My Network Places" from desktop

Post by Mike » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 01:53:11

Probably easiest done by using TweakUI and unchecking the entry on the Desktop
tab.  Note however that doing so can cause problems on occasion.

If you don't have TweakUI a copy of v1.33 (the appropriate version for Win Me)
a copy can be downloaded from
http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/powertoys/networking...

Download to a folder with a short name (e.g. C:\Tweak), run to extract
components, right click on tweakui.inf and then install, close the help
window that comes up to allow install to finish.  C:\Tweak can now be
deleted and TweakUI accessed via the Control Panel.

Just a few words of caution though if you are new to using TweakUI on Win Me.
a) Do not change the first icon (My Computer) on the Desktop tab.
Doing this causes a number of script errors in Special Folders when using
either WebView or Active desktop.
b) Do not uncheck "Search Results" on the Desktop tab.
Doing this disables the Search in Explorer.
c) Do not hide the TweakUI icon on the Control Panel tab.
d) Do not uncheck "Show Control Panel on Start Menu" on the IE tab.
Doing this will prevent you from accessing the Control Panel including
TweakUI.
e) Do not uncheck "Shell Enhancements" on the IE tab.
This causes quite a few unexpected "problems".
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP

Post by gromi » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 02:00:58

Quote:> Is there any way of removing "My Network Places" from my desktop?

Control Panel>Network>Configuration.Delete all entries but those for your
Network Card and TCP/IP.OK then reboot