VIEW??

Post by Bruce Stoke » Mon, 02 Jul 2001 05:34:01

I have recently installed Win ME for the third time.  The first time it gave
me so many problems I gave up went back to 98.
The second time it gave me problems again, but this time I decided to
re-install it.  This time at the beginning of the installation it told me
that the first installation was not complete, although there was no warning
after the first installation.  I realized after the re-install that it was
right because there appeared all kinds of animation, etc., etc. which I had
never seen before.
1-  Why is it necessary to do a re-install for it to work properly?
2-  Why cant I view details  when I go to Tools, Options, View and chose
"remember each folder settings" in all the folders as in Win 98?  I have to
open every folder and change every one of the files to Details. Before took
care of all the folders and files just doing it one time.

Bruce Stokes

VIEW??

Post by Gary Woodruf » Mon, 02 Jul 2001 11:36:56

There are several things that can interfere with an install.  It is surprising that
you did not get some kind of an error message the first time.  Are you sure you did
not just miss it?

As to the folders, Jim Eshelman did the best explanation I have seen.  Find it below
my sig.
--
Gary Woodruff
MS MVP- DTS

"That'll be the day" - John Wayne in The Searchers

****
In TweakUI, on the Explorer tab, check the box to save Explorer window
settings.

Then, in Explorer, set one folder (but not the root folder of a given
partition!) to the way you want *most* of your folders to be, then click
View | Folder Options | View, and click the "Like Current View" button. This
will reset the *default* to whatever you've just designed. This will be
important later, aside from the fact that it will give you a good baseline.

Then just go to each folder you want to change and change it. (You might
want to reboot before this step. It may not be necessary, but it does allow
some settings to get recalibrated in the Registry etc.) If a particular
folder is stubborn and doesn't want to stick, hold the Shift key while you
click the X box in the upper right hand corner to exit it.

Windows has a finite number of these individual folder settings that it can
remember. I think in Win98 the number is 100, which is *way* up from what it
was in Win95 (I think that's about 20; I could be remembering wrong).
Windows 98 SE increased the number further. But it is still finite. What
happens is that, when you customize a folder, it fills up a slot on that 100
or so. When the available slots are all taken, the oldest rotates off the
list to make room for the next one you want to change. This is what occurs
when you suddenly find that a folder that has behaved itself "from the
beginning" is suddenly changed. It falls back to the default. This is one
reason for setting the default the way you want it -- and it also means that
you will probably have to customize fewer individual folders and can make
good use of your 100.

Alex Nichol always recommends another wonderful trick that I can pass on.
When you have set all the folders that you for sure want customized, go back
into TweakUI and uncheck the box to save Explorer settings. This will
preserve things the way they are, and not add any more customizations in the
future, so you don't roll your customizations off the end of the table.

--
James A. Eshelman - MS-MVP (DTS)

> I have recently installed Win ME for the third time.  The first time it gave
> me so many problems I gave up went back to 98.
> The second time it gave me problems again, but this time I decided to
> re-install it.  This time at the beginning of the installation it told me
> that the first installation was not complete, although there was no warning
> after the first installation.  I realized after the re-install that it was
> right because there appeared all kinds of animation, etc., etc. which I had
> never seen before.
> 1-  Why is it necessary to do a re-install for it to work properly?
> 2-  Why cant I view details  when I go to Tools, Options, View and chose
> "remember each folder settings" in all the folders as in Win 98?  I have to
> open every folder and change every one of the files to Details. Before took
> care of all the folders and files just doing it one time.

> Bruce Stokes

1. Slow list view and details view - Explorer creating thumbnails in list view

I use my machine primarily for image editing of very large
files. Even in list and details view, Explorer is reading
each file and caching its thumbnail. (I can switch between
views and see this happen.) That not only causes
responsiveness problems, but also gives me a file in use
error if I try to do anything with groups of files before
all the thumbnails are crated.

I'd be happy if I could turn off all thumbnail activity. I
have other software for image management.

2. ICS-network client cannot reach some websites

3. Windows Media Player 9 Series Info Center View can't view long tags properly

4. Urgent, Pls advise with resolving my Floppy Drive 1.44MB

5. Folder view style when viewing NT Server folders in IE

6. WinME cannot find sysedit !

7. email won't view in O.E., but views in web based email

8. window activation: rookie MFC question

9. Viewing .TIF files in IE 6 (not the View Button Issue again); ftp woes

10. can't view source code from ie6 view menu?

11. Newsgroups: Can't view my post, can't view top posts in threads

12. Cannot view source code in View> Source

13. Viewing Contacts via view pane