1MBFort - solving those d&%&n out of memory message

1MBFort - solving those d&%&n out of memory message

Post by Peter Schwar » Sat, 25 Mar 1995 02:13:37

We have been having an ongoing problem running out of Conventional memory
in Windows (yes I said conventional memory).  Our environment is as
follows:

MS Windows for Workgroups 3.11
NETBEUI
TCP/IP 32a
IPX (ODI)
VLMs

Servers:
NT 3.5
NetWare 3.12
Lan Manager 2.1a

Applications:

Custom written app in MS C
MS Office
Schedule+
MSMail
Norton Anti-Virus

We kept getting "Can't lauch application, out of memory" messages.  We
had plenty of System Resources and 16+ Meg of RAM.  It turned out that
the memory we were running out of was Conventional (HeapWalker showed
that).

The solution:

1MBFort available on Ziff-Net fragments low memory, causing Windows apps
to load high, leaving more free low memory for other apps to use.

This has helped, but...

My question:

Has anyone had any problems using 1MBFort?  We are testing it on 10
machines right now with few problems, but are wary of rolling it out.
Any horror stories someone would like to share???

Please e-mail and post replies.

TIA

-Peter

Post by Robert Flume » Mon, 27 Mar 1995 13:43:05

>My question:
>Has anyone had any problems using 1MBFort?  We are testing it on 10
>machines right now with few problems, but are wary of rolling it out.
>Any horror stories someone would like to share???
>Please e-mail and post replies.
>TIA
>-Peter

Using it here Peter on a 486/66 w/12MEG...  seems to work as
advertised!

Robert Flumere

Post by leo » Tue, 28 Mar 1995 09:57:49

>>My question:

>>Has anyone had any problems using 1MBFort?  We are testing it on 10
>>machines right now with few problems, but are wary of rolling it out.
>>Any horror stories someone would like to share???

>>Please e-mail and post replies.

>>TIA

>>-Peter

>Using it here Peter on a 486/66 w/12MEG...  seems to work as
>advertised!

>Robert Flumere

Used 1MBFort and Moremem on a 90 MB Pentium.  Both worked as advertised.  Use
has only been for several weeks so I don't know if anything will develop over
the long run.

-LEO

Post by Pete Vinciguer » Tue, 28 Mar 1995 22:26:24

>>>My question:

>>>Has anyone had any problems using 1MBFort?  We are testing it on 10
>>>machines right now with few problems, but are wary of rolling it out.
>>>Any horror stories someone would like to share???

>>>Please e-mail and post replies.

>>>TIA

>>>-Peter

>>Using it here Peter on a 486/66 w/12MEG...  seems to work as
>>advertised!

>>Robert Flumere

>Used 1MBFort and Moremem on a 90 MB Pentium.  Both worked as advertised.  Use
>has only been for several weeks so I don't know if anything will develop over
>the long run.

>-LEO

I triedit  on 486dx4 & it seems to work although I don't seem to be able to use the load= line
as no matter what directory I put it in windows can't find it on startup even though the
path is exact...the message "win.ini or one of its components missing" It loads just fine in the
startup group though.

Pete
--

"Tarzan was a blues man."

1MBFort - solving those d&%&n out of memory message

Post by Doug Brow » Wed, 29 Mar 1995 12:35:18

Been using 1MBFort for about 30 days on a 486/33 with 8 MB's RAM with zero
problems... seems to be a fine program.

1MBFort - solving those d&%&n out of memory message

Post by Mark A. Johns » Sun, 02 Apr 1995 04:00:00

says...

>>Has anyone had any problems using 1MBFort?  We are testing it on 10
>>machines right now with few problems, but are wary of rolling it out.
>>Any horror stories someone would like to share???

>Using it here Peter on a 486/66 w/12MEG...  seems to work as
>advertised!

I *was* using it, but ran into problems during graphic-intensive
printing.

The situation was this; I had GPFs and out-of-memory errors with 1MBFort
in place, then running DeLorme Street Atlas and printing with PCKwik's
Print Manager replacement.  Admittedly, this is not a standard setup, but
since the problem went away when I removed 1MBFort, I didn't experiment
much further.  I *may* have been able to fix it by removing the
replacement print manager, but I *hate* the long wait to get control back
with the normal print manager (PCKwik gives back mouse and cursor control
after just a few seconds, regardless of the print size).

It's likely that 1MBFort works great 99.5% of the time, so don't let my
experience scare you away from it, just be aware that it *may* cause you
problems.

Mark

1MBFort - solving those d&%&n out of memory message

Post by Scot » Sun, 02 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> Has anyone had any problems using 1MBFort?  We are testing it on 10
> machines right now with few problems, but are wary of rolling it out.
> Any horror stories someone would like to share???

WOW.  Quite a hodge podge of programs, machines, and servers. I am now testing
1MBFort for the company I work at.  So far, so good.

System Resources are a pain to manage (thank you Microsoft).