how the ip address is generated?

Post by Matthew Loude » Wed, 08 Oct 2003 11:32:44

When we type command ipconfig, it will show the PC's IP address. I want to
know how the IP address is assigned? Static IP and dynamic IP are assigned
in 2 different ways??

Please advise!
Thanks!

how the ip address is generated?

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Wed, 08 Oct 2003 14:53:04

Of corse they are assigned in two different ways - static is assigned manually,
and dynamic is assigned automagically.
What is your problem?

--
Corrections are welcome.
Please keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can participate.

Kirill

how the ip address is generated?

Post by Kristofer Gafver » Wed, 08 Oct 2003 17:23:47

Hi,

With a static IP, you (or someone else) has configured the machine manually
to have that IP.

With a dynamic IP, you get your IP from a DHCP server, and can get another
IP next time you connect.

--
Regards,
Kristofer Gafvert

Quote:> When we type command ipconfig, it will show the PC's IP address. I want to
> know how the IP address is assigned? Static IP and dynamic IP are assigned
> in 2 different ways??

> Please advise!
> Thanks!

how the ip address is generated?

Post by <s.. » Wed, 08 Oct 2003 19:14:57

what's a dhcp server

> Hi,

> With a static IP, you (or someone else) has configured the machine
manually
> to have that IP.

> With a dynamic IP, you get your IP from a DHCP server, and can get another
> IP next time you connect.

> --
> Regards,
> Kristofer Gafvert
> http://www.ilopia.com - FAQ & Tutorials for Windows Server 2003, and SQL
> Server 2000
> Reply to newsgroup only. Remove NEWS if you must reply by email, but
please
> do not.

> > When we type command ipconfig, it will show the PC's IP address. I want
> > know how the IP address is assigned? Static IP and dynamic IP are
assigned
> > in 2 different ways??

> > Please advise!
> > Thanks!

how the ip address is generated?

Post by Kristofer Gafver » Wed, 08 Oct 2003 19:52:23

Hi,

A DHCP Server makes your life as an administrator much easier :-)

Suppose the client is configured to get its IP from a DHCP server, then when
you start the client computer, it will send out a message, and ask all other
computers if they have an IP they can give to the client. If a DHCP server
exists, it will respond to this message and give the client an IP address.
(very brief explanation, of course some other packets are being sent)

So, the DHCP server is basically a server that has several IP addresses in a
database, and when a client needs an IP address, it asks the server to send
one. When the client do not need one anymore, it will be "returned" to the
server, so another client can use this IP.

Some links:
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/D/DHCP.html
http://www.dhcp-handbook.com/dhcp_faq.html

--
Regards,
Kristofer Gafvert
http://www.ilopia.com - FAQ & Tutorials for Windows Server 2003, and SQL
Server 2000
Reply to newsgroup only. Remove NEWS if you must reply by email, but please
do not.

Problems with spam and viruses? See
http://www.ilopia.com/security/newsposting.aspx

> what's a dhcp server

> > Hi,

> > With a static IP, you (or someone else) has configured the machine
> manually
> > to have that IP.

> > With a dynamic IP, you get your IP from a DHCP server, and can get
another
> > IP next time you connect.

> > --
> > Regards,
> > Kristofer Gafvert
> > http://www.ilopia.com - FAQ & Tutorials for Windows Server 2003, and SQL
> > Server 2000
> > Reply to newsgroup only. Remove NEWS if you must reply by email, but
> please
> > do not.

> > > When we type command ipconfig, it will show the PC's IP address. I
want
> > > know how the IP address is assigned? Static IP and dynamic IP are
> assigned
> > > in 2 different ways??

> > > Please advise!
> > > Thanks!

how the ip address is generated?

Post by Ted » Wed, 08 Oct 2003 19:54:14

DHCP Stands forDynamic Host Configutation Protocol

In very basic terms, the DHCP Servr assigns a free IP in the IP range
(pre-difined in the DHCP configuration)...This would depend on the DHCP
config! A DHCP Server configured to assign an IP in the range 192.168.1.x
(where x ranges 1 through 254) would assign any of the free IPs between 1 to
254 to a system that connects to it (usually in ascending order...i.e.
checks for the lowest IP that is free, e.g. 1, then goes o 2, etc. and
assigns the very first freeIP to the system that just connected to it...).

On the other hand, the static IP is set manually by the user or
administrator on the local system and remains STATIC,  hence the term STATIC
IP Address.

> what's a dhcp server

> > Hi,

> > With a static IP, you (or someone else) has configured the machine
> manually
> > to have that IP.

> > With a dynamic IP, you get your IP from a DHCP server, and can get
another
> > IP next time you connect.

> > --
> > Regards,
> > Kristofer Gafvert
> > http://www.ilopia.com - FAQ & Tutorials for Windows Server 2003, and SQL
> > Server 2000
> > Reply to newsgroup only. Remove NEWS if you must reply by email, but
> please
> > do not.

> > > When we type command ipconfig, it will show the PC's IP address. I
want
> > > know how the IP address is assigned? Static IP and dynamic IP are
> assigned
> > > in 2 different ways??

> > > Please advise!
> > > Thanks!

how the ip address is generated?

Post by Doug Chesne » Thu, 09 Oct 2003 10:23:29

So if I connect to the net via my local cable service (e.g. roadrunner) and
my ip address is always the same each time I connect, then [roadrunner] is a
dhcp client?

> DHCP Stands forDynamic Host Configutation Protocol

> In very basic terms, the DHCP Servr assigns a free IP in the IP range
> (pre-difined in the DHCP configuration)...This would depend on the DHCP
> config! A DHCP Server configured to assign an IP in the range 192.168.1.x
> (where x ranges 1 through 254) would assign any of the free IPs between 1
> 254 to a system that connects to it (usually in ascending order...i.e.
> checks for the lowest IP that is free, e.g. 1, then goes o 2, etc. and
> assigns the very first freeIP to the system that just connected to it...).

> On the other hand, the static IP is set manually by the user or
> administrator on the local system and remains STATIC,  hence the term
STATIC
> IP Address.

> > what's a dhcp server

> > > Hi,

> > > With a static IP, you (or someone else) has configured the machine
> > manually
> > > to have that IP.

> > > With a dynamic IP, you get your IP from a DHCP server, and can get
> another
> > > IP next time you connect.

> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > > Kristofer Gafvert
> > > http://www.ilopia.com - FAQ & Tutorials for Windows Server 2003, and
SQL
> > > Server 2000
> > > Reply to newsgroup only. Remove NEWS if you must reply by email, but
> > please
> > > do not.

> want
> > assigned

how the ip address is generated?

Post by Kristofer Gafver » Thu, 09 Oct 2003 16:12:24

Hi,

If your IP is always the same, it is possible that you have a static IP. But
i do not think so, because most ISPs uses DHCP, and in that case, roadrunner
has a DHCP server, and you are the client which connect to this server to
get an IP.

--
Regards,
Kristofer Gafvert
http://www.ilopia.com - FAQ & Tutorials for Windows Server 2003, and SQL
Server 2000
Reply to newsgroup only. Remove NEWS if you must reply by email, but please
do not.

Problems with spam and viruses? See
http://www.ilopia.com/security/newsposting.aspx

> So if I connect to the net via my local cable service (e.g. roadrunner)
and
> my ip address is always the same each time I connect, then [roadrunner] is
> dhcp client?

> > DHCP Stands forDynamic Host Configutation Protocol

> > In very basic terms, the DHCP Servr assigns a free IP in the IP range
> > (pre-difined in the DHCP configuration)...This would depend on the DHCP
> > config! A DHCP Server configured to assign an IP in the range
192.168.1.x
> > (where x ranges 1 through 254) would assign any of the free IPs between
1
> > 254 to a system that connects to it (usually in ascending order...i.e.
> > checks for the lowest IP that is free, e.g. 1, then goes o 2, etc. and
> > assigns the very first freeIP to the system that just connected to
it...).

> > On the other hand, the static IP is set manually by the user or
> > administrator on the local system and remains STATIC,  hence the term
> STATIC
> > IP Address.

> > > what's a dhcp server

> > > manually

> > another

> SQL
> > > please

> > want
> > > assigned

how the ip address is generated?

Post by Ted » Thu, 09 Oct 2003 17:46:45

Like Kristofer suggested, chances are YOUR connection is configured to use a
MANUALLY setIP (i.e. Static IP). Having said that ifyou're online daily, and
the ISP uses DHCP then COZ you make use of your IP daily, your ISP simply
extends the deadline after which yourIP woudld be released foruse by another
machine (now that also includes your machine)!

Chek the properties under the TCP/IP==> Network Adapter

There you'll find the configuration of the IP for your system...If it has
the OPTION under the TCP/IP tab"Obtain IP Address" activated, then you have
it configued to use DHCP of the RR cable company...If it has the IP listed
under the TCP/IP tab then it's STATIC IP...

Ted

> So if I connect to the net via my local cable service (e.g. roadrunner)
and
> my ip address is always the same each time I connect, then [roadrunner] is
> dhcp client?

> > DHCP Stands forDynamic Host Configutation Protocol

> > In very basic terms, the DHCP Servr assigns a free IP in the IP range
> > (pre-difined in the DHCP configuration)...This would depend on the DHCP
> > config! A DHCP Server configured to assign an IP in the range
192.168.1.x
> > (where x ranges 1 through 254) would assign any of the free IPs between
1
> > 254 to a system that connects to it (usually in ascending order...i.e.
> > checks for the lowest IP that is free, e.g. 1, then goes o 2, etc. and
> > assigns the very first freeIP to the system that just connected to
it...).

> > On the other hand, the static IP is set manually by the user or
> > administrator on the local system and remains STATIC,  hence the term
> STATIC
> > IP Address.

> > > what's a dhcp server

> > > manually

> > another

> SQL
> > > please

> > want
> > > assigned

how the ip address is generated?

Post by Doug Chesne » Thu, 09 Oct 2003 18:53:08

Thank you Kristopher and Ted  :)

Yep you're both correct.....I checked and It's set to get the ip from the
cable co. DHCP server.....at least now I know that my ip is always the same
because I'm always connected :)

Would appreciate a note here if my main post goes unanswered......am I
posting it to the right newsgroup?   Have been to some of the groups
occasionally over the years but never as a regular, so (especially for my
orig post here since I lack any experience in the area of wireless
connections).

Thanks again.

> Like Kristofer suggested, chances are YOUR connection is configured to use
> MANUALLY setIP (i.e. Static IP). Having said that ifyou're online daily,
and
> the ISP uses DHCP then COZ you make use of your IP daily, your ISP simply
> extends the deadline after which yourIP woudld be released foruse by
another
> machine (now that also includes your machine)!

> Chek the properties under the TCP/IP==> Network Adapter

> There you'll find the configuration of the IP for your system...If it has
> the OPTION under the TCP/IP tab"Obtain IP Address" activated, then you
have
> it configued to use DHCP of the RR cable company...If it has the IP listed
> under the TCP/IP tab then it's STATIC IP...

> Ted

> > So if I connect to the net via my local cable service (e.g. roadrunner)
> and
> > my ip address is always the same each time I connect, then [roadrunner]
is
> > dhcp client?

> > > DHCP Stands forDynamic Host Configutation Protocol

> > > In very basic terms, the DHCP Servr assigns a free IP in the IP range
> > > (pre-difined in the DHCP configuration)...This would depend on the
DHCP
> > > config! A DHCP Server configured to assign an IP in the range
> 192.168.1.x
> > > (where x ranges 1 through 254) would assign any of the free IPs
between
> 1
> > > 254 to a system that connects to it (usually in ascending order...i.e.
> > > checks for the lowest IP that is free, e.g. 1, then goes o 2, etc. and
> > > assigns the very first freeIP to the system that just connected to
> it...).

> > > On the other hand, the static IP is set manually by the user or
> > > administrator on the local system and remains STATIC,  hence the term
> > STATIC
> > > IP Address.

> > > another

> > SQL

> > > want

how the ip address is generated?

Post by Ted » Thu, 09 Oct 2003 23:13:29

You're welcome...

Regarding your Q...depending on which OS you use (I'm not sure you're using
a Server) you could go to the following NG if you use Win98(se):
microsoft.public.win98.networking

Ted

> Thank you Kristopher and Ted  :)

> Yep you're both correct.....I checked and It's set to get the ip from the
> cable co. DHCP server.....at least now I know that my ip is always the
same
> because I'm always connected :)

> Would appreciate a note here if my main post goes unanswered......am I
> posting it to the right newsgroup?   Have been to some of the groups
> occasionally over the years but never as a regular, so (especially for my
> orig post here since I lack any experience in the area of wireless
> connections).

> Thanks again.

> > Like Kristofer suggested, chances are YOUR connection is configured to
use
> > MANUALLY setIP (i.e. Static IP). Having said that ifyou're online daily,
> and
> > the ISP uses DHCP then COZ you make use of your IP daily, your ISP
simply
> > extends the deadline after which yourIP woudld be released foruse by
> another
> > machine (now that also includes your machine)!

> > Chek the properties under the TCP/IP==> Network Adapter

> > There you'll find the configuration of the IP for your system...If it
has
> > the OPTION under the TCP/IP tab"Obtain IP Address" activated, then you
> have
> > it configued to use DHCP of the RR cable company...If it has the IP
listed
> > under the TCP/IP tab then it's STATIC IP...

> > Ted

> > > So if I connect to the net via my local cable service (e.g.
roadrunner)
> > and
> > > my ip address is always the same each time I connect, then
[roadrunner]
> is
> > > dhcp client?

> DHCP
> > 192.168.1.x
> between
> > 1
and
> > it...).

> > > STATIC

> and
> > > SQL
> but

> are

how the ip address is generated?

Post by Doug Chesne » Fri, 10 Oct 2003 02:11:33

Im on XP Pro.

> You're welcome...

> Regarding your Q...depending on which OS you use (I'm not sure you're
using
> a Server) you could go to the following NG if you use Win98(se):
> microsoft.public.win98.networking

> Ted

> > Thank you Kristopher and Ted  :)

> > Yep you're both correct.....I checked and It's set to get the ip from
the
> > cable co. DHCP server.....at least now I know that my ip is always the
> same
> > because I'm always connected :)

> > Would appreciate a note here if my main post goes unanswered......am I
> > posting it to the right newsgroup?   Have been to some of the groups
> > occasionally over the years but never as a regular, so (especially for
my
> > orig post here since I lack any experience in the area of wireless
> > connections).

> > Thanks again.

> > > Like Kristofer suggested, chances are YOUR connection is configured to
> use
> > > MANUALLY setIP (i.e. Static IP). Having said that ifyou're online
daily,
> > and
> > > the ISP uses DHCP then COZ you make use of your IP daily, your ISP
> simply
> > > extends the deadline after which yourIP woudld be released foruse by
> > another
> > > machine (now that also includes your machine)!

> > > Chek the properties under the TCP/IP==> Network Adapter

> > > There you'll find the configuration of the IP for your system...If it
> has
> > > the OPTION under the TCP/IP tab"Obtain IP Address" activated, then you
> > have
> > > it configued to use DHCP of the RR cable company...If it has the IP
> listed
> > > under the TCP/IP tab then it's STATIC IP...

> > > Ted

> roadrunner)
> > > and
> [roadrunner]
> > is

> range
> > DHCP
> > > 192.168.1.x
> > between
> > > 1
> order...i.e.
> and
> > > it...).

> term

> machine

> get

> > and
> > but

> address.
IP
> > are

1. Does NT use a host's IP address to generate a SID?

Hi,

For some reason, the powers-that-be want to keep DCs in the public
network, and move all clients in the private network. Problem is, the
firewall uses PAT, not NAT, so all clients contact the PDC through the
same public IP address.

How is a SID actually created? Is it a hash of several host-specific
information, eg. MAC address + IP address + NetBIOS name, etc.?

Thx
FF.

2. problems with Dinkumware STL lib for WinCE

3. Question: I am getting IP address conflict error msg.

4. Hard disk moved to WinXP and back to Win2000 problem

5. Problem in translating an ip address to another ip address with IE

6. File arragement in XP??

7. TCP/IP: Gateway address and IP address are same in Winipcfg

8. switching folders

9. Getting IP address of client, or own IP address

10. LOCAL IP ADDRESS (MY IP ADDRESS)

11. I am trying to load a dynamically generated XML file in an ASP page

12. IE6 adds www and .com to addresses, even IP address

13. domain name vs. IP address in address bar